buying a tablet?

Cipro
if they are any better than apple why the hell the ipad sells like hotcakes?

They marketed their way to being Kleenex and Droid is still newer. Both are good but Droid is far better value for most peoples money.

• Like 1
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• KennyF

• Mang Kanor

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can say that 100% I am satisfied with my Android 3.2 Gingerbread.   Now let me say this. I went and tried all the cheapo Chinese Versions of tablets. They are junk.... If you sit a Samsung or

I have a 7" and 10" Android and I have a windows 8 tablet. My best recommendation right now is to get a refurbished Acer W500 for about $380 (http://www.ebay.com/...dmpt=US_Tablets). That is how I g

It depends what you want it to do. I have both 7" ($100) and 10" ($200) Chinese tablets running Android 2.2 and 2.3 respectively.   Both have wifi and I've used them in airports so that's no proble

Posted Images

KennyF

if they are any better than apple why the hell the ipad sells like hotcakes?

the market is already crowded with android OS from the cheapest china tablet to the more expensive motorolla xoom and galaxy tab but apple still ipad still sells alot.

Because, to quote Steve Jobs, "The consumer doesn't know what they want, we have to tell them" or words to that effect.

Apple are great with "hype" or "spin"

They have a great product. it's just not worth what they charge.

That said, they are bringing the price down to meet the competition.

KonGC

musicman666

Droid is still newer.

thats just it ...its always newer ..improved ... different !!

Thats what also gets me about bloatware ... you have something that works and does the job perfectly and then they start to screw with it so that now its all different.

I think Apple have caught onto this and give the people what they want ...ie something that isnt in a constat state of flux as far as the end user is concerned.

Davaoeno
it's just not worth what they charge.

the market will always determine the correct price ! Lots of sales ? - price is right . Product sitting on the shelf? - price is too high. Going by Apples sales i find it hard to believe that the price that they charge is too high

Cipro
They have a great product. it's just not worth what they charge.

That said, they are bringing the price down to meet the competition.

That's fair.

I had an iPhone in the States, and would have gotten an iPhone for here but it would have cost $800, so I tried Droid. If you use Google services, Droid is the way to go. Integration with gmail and docs is great, picasa, etc.

The iGizmos are nice, I've owned a lot of them, but for me and a lot of people the value just isn't there, and a lot of other people don't, as you say, "know what they want".

I think Apple have caught onto this and give the people what they want ...ie something that isnt in a constat state of flux as far as the end user is concerned.

Really?

USMC-Retired

Apple is good for one thing. It works. You do not have to do anything. They make it so so easy. Not a bad thing.

It however has its limitations and because of that Droid devices are better and faster. They offer you a flexibility that Apple will not.

• Like 1
Mang Kanor

They marketed their way to being Kleenex and Droid is still newer. Both are good but Droid is far better value for most peoples money.

newer by 1 to 2 years only... ive tried both and i stick to apple.

before i was hesitant on buying iphone, i was a long time windows mobile user until they screwed up with windows phone7.

i tried android twice with htc hero and motorolla droid, slow, buggy and lots of problem even when rooted and do custom rooms. now with iphone i can say im satisfied with its performance and oh the resale value is much higher than that of any android phones. and thats a fact!

David Kennedy

They are just a computer without a hardware keyboard nor do they need a mouse.

They are controlled by a stylus or finger right on the screen.

What a PC can do, a tablet can do.

(but they weigh around 12 ounces}

KonGC

They are just a computer without a hardware keyboard nor do they need a mouse.

They are controlled by a stylus or finger right on the screen.

What a PC can do, a tablet can do.

(but they weigh around 12 ounces}

KonGC

Tablets cannot do everything a PC can do

Ipad is a great tablet. Used it almost a year and more than satisfied. Doesn't need to use laptop often anymore at home because ipad is so much better. Also a lot of great free apps in Apple App Store.

MattFromGA

I have a 7" and 10" Android and I have a windows 8 tablet. My best recommendation right now is to get a refurbished Acer W500 for about $380 (http://www.ebay.com/...dmpt=US_Tablets). That is how I got mine, and then downloaded Windows 8 consumer preview. The w500 has 10.1 screen, dual cameras, dual core 1ghz cpu, 32g SSD and 2g ram. I purchased a larger 120g runcore sata3 SSD which is amazingly fast. Opening up the w500 to replace the drive took a simple plastic butter knife.

The Android tablets are fine if all you want to do is surf the net, read emails, games and video. The windows 8 tablet can do all that equally as well with tablet interface. However, I have also installed Visual Studio 11, SQL Server 12, real MS Office including Visio which I use for diagramming designs. All the real apps that you run on windows 7 can still be used on windows 8 and I get around fine without keyboard for most of those too, but the w500 comes with nice usb keyboard that acts as protective cover for travel (ipad and Android tablets typically need extra protection because they have no such thing).

Right now Windows 8 is not totally released, but it will be on store shelves before the end of the year.

IPad versus Android versus Windows 8 is quickly becoming a religious debate, and people loose sense of reality while they push emotional agendas partially driven by marketing they are exposed to.

I write software for all platforms and feel that while Windows 8 is currently not released, it is the best platform on the market, especially if you want multiple users to share the same device. With the Android and iPad, there is just one user and you cannot easily switch between various users. So, if you surf the net, your history is mashed with other people's. It's not about trying to hide what you surf, but the history and favs are the easy way to get to your sites rather than typing. If multiple people compete for that, its harder to get around. Email is another issue like that, where once you setup the mail client for one users, other users cannot easily check email on that using the fancy email client.

With windows 8, each user can have their own desktop, App Market user account, favorites and all other settings.

If you currently think the Metro interface as shown on the preview is a little kid like and not a slick looking as iPad and Andriod, its true. The current Windows 8 metro interface is paired down to min for these early releases but will be more "fancy" by the time its released for general use.

As of now Windows 8 is rock solid for me and I push it hard all time. Develop/debug and publish pushes it farther than most and it never crashes.

Edited by MattFromGA
  • Like 3
MattFromGA

I am not biased towards any one platform. I have Mac OS X desktop and I have a Galaxy S 2 phone with unlimited bandwidth 4g. The phone kicks ass and performs flawlessly. I would not buy a windows 7 phone, but the windows 8 phone should be an amazing product but I have never seen one.

Cipro
I write software for all platforms and feel that while Windows 8 is currently not released, it is the best platform on the market, especially if you want multiple users to share the same device. With the Android and iPad, there is just one user and you cannot easily switch between various users.

This is a huge weakness of both iOS and Droid.

Microsoft has a history of trying something and failing over and over until finally they dominate it, I wonder if they will pull this rabbit out of their hat at last.

musicman666

This is a huge weakness of both iOS and Droid.

Isnt droid a port of apple os? Some guy who worked for apple ripped it off when he left.

Cipro

Isnt droid a port of apple os? Some guy who worked for apple ripped it off when he left.

No iOS is written in Objective C with a BSD derived kernel and Droid is C and a Java offshoot on Linux.

One of the Android founders was an Apple employee at one point, but not since the ealy 90's.

Android was started in 2003 and based on Linux, Google purchased it in 2005.