Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Mike

Breaking up that long plane ride from the US

Headshot

I'm in the same boat plane, Mike. I just noticed that it's a 25 hour flight. :rofl: (Stupid noob didn't realize RP was a full 17,000 miles away and basically on the other side of the frikken planet.)

Books, laptop, sleep (I go to sleep now around 3:30 AM, so the lag shouldn't be too horrific), iPod, chat with immensely heavy woman sitting next to me, stare out the window at the gremlins on the wings, start a livejournal ...... it's gonna be a long flight.

Can't wait.

:rofl:

Flying from the East Coast (US), I would suggest Delta, New York through Korea. It's a polar route, so it isn't too bad. If you wish, you could lay over in Seoul for a couple of days. Seoul is a beautiful city, and there is a lot to see, but it is more expensive than the Philippines. The museum in downtown Seoul is absolutely amazing if you are a history buff. Korea is quite an old civilization that has been frequently stomped by its neighbors. There is also a traditional korean town not too far out of Seoul that is kind of a Korean-style Williamsburg (if you know what I mean).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

miles-high

United changed CO767's to old UA777's between HNL and GUM... Biz class has 2 additional rows, like the domestic "first" class, not much better than 747 economy seating. Hope you would not be considering Guam as a stop over. I am a Guam "resident" because of work, etc., but I have nothing good to say about Guam... :rofl: My "personal" preference re first/business: unless u r flying with ur spouse/gf, don't fly DL or UA "flat" it's too close each other... Older 747 seating configuration (70 degrees) better if u flying alone... Asian carriers better to some extent but as someone said it here, I would say get it done with asap... :rofl:

Mr. Mike

Having crossed the big pond over 110 times (monthly flights to Narita for six years), I can relate. Stopping in HNL makes the trip much longer. If you want to stop, do it in Seattle or Anchorage, then fly to Seoul (ICN) then connect to Cebu. I agree with other posters: avoid Manila at all costs, unless that is your destination.

Cathay is comfortable but will doubtless take you through HKG (good: shower in HKG for HK$8, free if you are a club member; bad: longer cxn time than at ICN). For transpac flt to CEB, I prefer either Asiana or Korean Air (via ICN). Very comfortable, good service and no, you do not have to eat kim chi.

I found the Philippine carriers to be quite inferior to the others mentioned. I especially try to avoid Cebu Pacific, AirPhil Express and Zest Air for too many reasons to list. I fly to the US with Asiana, Korean Air, Cathay, or Singapore Air and to Europe with Qatar.

I have friends who fly to Europe and want to save every dime. Qatar is about $100 more than the cheapest alternative (Cebu Pac to HKG, then Aeroflot to Moscow (SVO), then Aeroflot to any major European city) but that requires a full day layover in HKG. So I don't get how that is cheaper than a quick cxn in HKG and DOH and flying with the "world's first five-star airline"...

Flying from the US East Cost to the Phils is shortest via the Pacific northern route. Flying to Bombay would be a toss up -- same distance if transpac or transatlantic. Flying to CEB via Europe would add 7 - 9 hours to the trip, not counting layovers.

Thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,believe it or not,, I am writing all of these replys down!

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1

samatm

Flying to Hawaii as Ungaro noted is the LONGEST possible way to get to the Phils as you are travelling across the fattest part of the Globe. From the east coast you can find direct flights to HKG using the great circle route ( cutting across the Northpole, skirting down the coast of russia, japan to Hong kong. Spend a Day or two in HOng Kong. BETTER. From Atlanta route link up with Korean Airlines and break up your trip at Incheon Seoul as others have posted

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

I am passing out "Thanks" like a crazy man,,,,,,,,,,but your replys a very welcomed and they are valued.,,,,sincerely! I hope, I did not miss anyone!

samatm

United changed CO767's to old UA777's between HNL and GUM... Biz class has 2 additional rows, like the domestic "first" class,

United changed what? you mean changed from older 767s to newer 777s or changed from newer 777s to older 767s ? Dont forget you then have the pleasure of another 4 hours from Guam to Manila in a 737. That flight is the killer after 20 plus hours in a widebody craft to get downsized to the 73. That is Long Long Trip.

Rocketman

Ive flown Houston to Cebu a number of times and over the Pacific was more pleasant and a little shorter for me. Went a few times on Singapore air through Moscow and stayed there for a week one time. Quite an experience! I love Singapore air but it was a few hours longer going through Moscow.

• Like 1

miles-high

United changed what? you mean changed from older 767s to newer 777s or changed from newer 777s to older 767s ? Dont forget you then have the pleasure of another 4 hours from Guam to Manila in a 737. That flight is the killer after 20 plus hours in a widebody craft to get downsized to the 73. That is Long Long Trip.

Continetal used to fly their 767's between HNL to GUM, now new United uses their 777's with higher density business class seating, which is no better than DL's "ecnomy comfort" seats...

Edited by miles-high

Headshot

Thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,believe it or not,, I am writing all of these replys down!

You should know that you can fly Delta non-stop from Atlanta to Seoul (still a polar route). That will cut your travel time by a bunch. Then...you can either stop over or fly through to Manila. The down-side with flying through Seoul is that I don't believe there are any non-stops from Seoul to Cebu...though I could be wrong with all of the Koreans coming to Cebu to learn English. Look it up yourself to be sure.

Update: It looks like the only non-stops from Seoul to Cebu are on Philippine Airlines, which would add to your costs (by changing airlines in Seoul). The good news is that they fly the route several times a day, so you could probably have a decent connection if you wanted to just continue on without a layover.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Mr. Mike

Thank you all for the great advice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean that!

joemama

I think you have a good idea by stopping in Hawaii, I have done that from LAX, and the beaches and life in Hawaii is a hell of a lot nicer than Seoul, HK, or other Asian cities, and there isn't much of a breakup when your flying to the other side of the planet, I don't care if its over the top or across the pacific. Hawaii is good!

Ungaro
I don't believe there are any non-stops from Seoul to Cebu

Both Asiana (ICN 20:20 CEB 23:55) and Korean Air (ICN 19:55 CEB 23:40) have daily non-stop service ICN - CEB - ICN.

Use SkyScanner to find the best routing, fares, etc.: http://www.skyscanner.com

Edited by Ungaro

senseless

I am starting to plan my trip to the RP, and I have decided I will break it up into smaller segments if possible. I am 6'4" so I will be flying business class. I guess I would depart from LAX or SFO. Maybe stop in Hawaii for a night, then on from there. I realize there are not many options because the Pacific still has to be crossed regardless. Maybe departing from the east coast , heading east would do the trick! Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions?

Thanks..

All you could really do is go from seattle to like HK, JP, or something like that, then fly from there to manila/cebu. I know korea air has direct flights to cebu.

As far as I'm aware philippine airlines and the other carriers do not fly to hawaii. They stop over in guam, but by the time you're in guam, you're 85% there. Also, it's just for refueling and no one was allowed to exit the plane.

Next time, I think I will be taking the delta to korea or hk, then korea air from there to cebu. It drives me crazy that delta doesn't have flights to the philippines. But, who could blame them.

Edited by senseless

smokey

korean air one stop and ends in cebu no manila bullshit

Experienced

All you could really do is go from seattle to like HK, JP, or something like that, then fly from there to manila/cebu. I know korea air has direct flights to cebu.

As far as I'm aware philippine airlines and the other carriers do not fly to hawaii. They stop over in guam, but by the time you're in guam, you're 85% there. Also, it's just for refueling and no one was allowed to exit the plane.

Next time, I think I will be taking the delta to korea or hk, then korea air from there to cebu. It drives me crazy that delta doesn't have flights to the philippines. But, who could blame them.

You might want to get a new travel agent, because Delta flies to the US from MNL just about 365 days a year and PAL flies to HNL 2 or 3 times a week. Hawaiian Airlines also.

But I agree with previous posters that going through HI is a lame routing and, really, why would you want to be in Hawaii on your way to the RP?