Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Unconventional pump boat part IX

Ozbrum

Bill

I know very little about boats apart from traveling on a few and on a couple of hollidays in Oz , hiring and playing with a small cat.

I read your full post like a novel together with the replies and thoroughly enjoyed it ..... THANKS

Good luck with the motor ...

Al

Knowdafish

Any updates? 

steve schrader

I live in Moalboal. My house is about 400m from the water. I'll take some pics of the device I've designed and built to transport the boats to and from the water. Unfortunately, I really don't have the room to store much here and in order to transport a pump boat very far, you have to remove the outriggers, which is a real PIA to do.

The locals will get a bunch of guys, as many as 50 for a large boat and hand carry it to the water. I'm gravitating towards steel boats in excess of 15m so obviously that isn't going to work for me. So, I'm working on acquiring some property right on the water. I thought that would be a simple task, but it turns out not to be here.

Sorry, I don't understand this question!

Bill

Bill do you still live in Moal Boal,it was my home for about  2 years,I found only one lot i liked there that was ocean front that was 12 years ago too,,I loved Moal Boal stayed at  marcosas when it was small, I can not even reconize marcosas now.but have been told it remains a small town,There where only 4 Americans living in that Town back in 2000.

Oz Jon

Hi Bill,

How is your ply construction holding up to the rigors of use and to the sea?

Do you store it "hauled-out" ?

If you keep it on a mooring - any problems? How well is you anti-fouling working?

I've read of problems with the quality of locally available marine ply - is yours working out OK?

Did you soak it in epoxy and use epoxy as construction glue?

My guess is that using epoxy like that would solve most ply problems.

A lot of questions, but I'm very interested in building/owning (maybe living-on) a boat in the Phills

Cheers and Fair Winds,

Oz Jon

Edited by Oz Jon

Headshot

Bill has moved back to the US.

hyaku

Bill do you still live in Moal Boal,it was my home for about  2 years,I found only one lot i liked there that was ocean front that was 12 years ago too,,I loved Moal Boal stayed at  marcosas when it was small, I can not even reconize marcosas now.but have been told it remains a small town,There where only 4 Americans living in that Town back in 2000.

I left in 2007 with the water debacle. Lived next door to Blue Abyss and before that Marcosa.

JamesMusslewhite

Did not realize the thread was from 2012 and that Bill no longer lives in the Philippines, so sort of made what I had posted rather pointless so I just deleted it.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Bill H

Perhaps it's time I post the end of the story.  BTW I'm back in the states, but coming back to the PH this month, not sure how long I will stay, certainly not more than a few months.  I really would like to get back to building boats, I'm looking for places as time permits.

Ok, the end of the story.  In the interest of space, I will be leaving out many details and events, but you will get the jist of what went down.

Both boats were finished and GF's father and brother were to be prospective captains charged with lining up crews to start fishing.  I had to return to the states for some surgery I did not want to be done in the Phils, so I was absent from May through July, returning in early August.  We moved to southern Cebu island in April because of the numerous problems we were having with our drunken landlord.  GF stayed in new house getting it ready and looking for new boat build site, or so she claimed.  The moment I walked in the door I sensed a problem, but it took a few weeks for it to surface.

The short version of this sad tale is she had taken up with a Filipino in my absence and gotten pregnant by him.  I found out when she angered the neighbor and they rated her out.  That of course, ended our relationship and I threw her out.  Meanwhile, it turns out her new BF was also the primary shabu dealer in town and I began to get death threats.  Again, the short version of the story, I took the threats seriously, because I was pretty sure they were serious, particularly when I discovered the BF's partner was our Brgy Captain.  Once that became clear, I packed some clothes and made the last bus to Cebu about 2 am.  Apparently no one saw me leave, which was my intent.  I contacted a LINC member in the area and he found a crew to retrieve my boats.  I paid them to do it and they took the bus to where the boats were moored, only to be accosted by local thugs who threatened them and scared them pretty badly so they dropped my project and went home. Meanwhile, one boat had been driven onto the rocks (intentional no doubt) and was seriously damaged.  The other was "stolen."

Because I'm a foreigner, the Municipal would not allow me to register either boat, so I had to put them in my GF's name.  Ergo, I had no legal basis to do anything.  Yet another reason it is more fun in the Philippines, right?  So one boat was sunk and the other disappeared, but I've been told it is still around and being used.  Sad in a way but all things considered, a very valuable lesson that did not cost me but a million pesos or so and I got to keep my life.  Not such a bad trade.  LOL

Still there were some bright spots after I left Cebu island.  The drug dealer refused to pay for the baby saying he was sure it was mine.  For a while, she was telling me it was mine, but her due date made that impossible, so I refused her plea for financial assistance.  After the baby was born, he still did not want to pay his share and I've heard she had to go back to her old job.  She has contacted me several times, but I won't take her calls, so she gave up.  I took a modicum of pleasure in that!  :yahoo: 

You may be wondering if this is why I left the Philippines and the answer is...it's complicated.  In part yes, but not the only reason for sure.  Will I ever return to live?  For a short time yes, long term, doubtful.  My energy at the moment is being spent on my wife's visa process.

• Like 2

Oz Jon

O Dear!

I wish I hadn't asked about the boats!

You've had rather a bad run.

However, you got to live another day, unharmed and with only a modest dent in your savings - not too bad!

Best wishes for the future (the next go at the Phils?)

Cheers,

Oz Jon

• Like 1

Headshot

My energy at the moment is being spent on my wife's visa process.

And I suppose the part about going from the old GF to the new wife is a completely different story.

Bill, you do live an interesting life.

Edited by Headshot

steve schrader

Yeah hate to hear that story,you know your pump boats.

I meet a man Geman who built boats and made good money basically renting them to fisher man.

He did tell me he was incorperated.

steve schrader

I left in 2007 with the water debacle. Lived next door to Blue Abyss and before that Marcosa.

From what i can see now and best i can remember Macosas purchaed the blue abyss, it had a house ocean front.,