post-8579-0-43668200-1331211470_thumb.jpg

Headshot

Let me guess...you got a great deal on yellow sometime in the past... :steve:

Just kidding. It looks great Bill.

Bill H

Ahhh if only it was a submarine!!!! Hey, wait! I'm working on that! :steve:

Headshot

Ahhh if only it was a submarine!!!! Hey, wait! I'm working on that! :steve:

Be careful what you wish for...many boats have become unintentional submarines.

• Like 2

samatm

Bill - just curious, do you live on the water, near the water, in the province or in Cebu, mactan. Will you have a boatsman always on your boat? How does that work ? How much does it cost? Just curious about boat ownership here? Thanks

I cant tell what your getting out. perhaps the extra sealant on the boat?

Bill H

This is my second boat and we'll start building the third as soon as this one is launched.

Theft is a problem here.

Before you get a boat, you have to have a secure place to keep it or a guard on it. If you don't, things will disappear

Many of the locals pull their boats out of the water every day. Few use anti-fouling paint, so marine borers are a real problem for them. What seems to me to be the typical Filipino attitude is very penny wise pound foolish. So they build everything on the cheap, only to have it fail relatively quickly. They don't seem to understand the concept of build good, building right to last, so they end up spending three times more money in the long run. Perhaps it has something to do with not having much to start with, but it seems a vicious circle to me.

As far as I know, you can't own a boat legally, particularly if it's a fishing boat. You would need to put it in a Filipino's name whom you trust. You also have to register the boat at the Municipal and pay a small tax. Every Municipal is different though, so check with the bureaucrats to be sure.

There is little about the way the locals build their boats that I like, which is why I started building my own. My next boat is going to be a 10m monohull. Following that a 15m power catamaran. At least that is the plan of the moment. A couple of folks have approached me about building a boat for them, so if that should come to pass, my own boats will have to go on the back burner. My crew is really finding their grove though, so we're doing things much faster now.

Bill

Bill H

Ohhh and of course there is the yellow submarine. I yearn to build one. Really, really, high desire. I'm researching it now. Stay tuned! LOL

Bill H

Bill - just curious, do you live on the water, near the water, in the province or in Cebu, mactan. Will you have a boatsman always on your boat? How does that work ? How much does it cost? Just curious about boat ownership here? Thanks

I live in Moalboal. My house is about 400m from the water. I'll take some pics of the device I've designed and built to transport the boats to and from the water. Unfortunately, I really don't have the room to store much here and in order to transport a pump boat very far, you have to remove the outriggers, which is a real PIA to do.

The locals will get a bunch of guys, as many as 50 for a large boat and hand carry it to the water. I'm gravitating towards steel boats in excess of 15m so obviously that isn't going to work for me. So, I'm working on acquiring some property right on the water. I thought that would be a simple task, but it turns out not to be here.

Sorry, I don't understand this question!

Bill

Bill H

We are very careful so as to prevent that occurrence. When all else fails, pray a lot.

Bill

Bill H

A quick update:

I had to run back to the states to take care of some business, so the boat project is on hold until I get back in May. We also ran into a problem with our motor supplier. The short of it is the motor is paid for but not yet delivered and is now 3 months over due. I'll have a lot more to say about this situation if I get back and find no motor sitting in my shop. Count on that.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

Cuda

Transformation Complete!

Is this will be the boat with outriggers like majority of locals build? i never understood why would someone build such inefficient hull like most of the local banca boats have.

roadhaze

How would a jet drive work on one of these boats.

Ricbak

Bill

what size and make of motor do you plan on using I know with big bancas they use Mitsubushi diesels but dont seem to make much of an effort to marinise them.

As to the use of Marine plywood that you used for the keel what company did you use to source it?

Congratulations on a craftsman build

Thanks

Ricbak