Virus Protection

• Admin (Retired)
broden

as i'm still waiting on some parts all i can is make plans for the new computer for now

i've been using avg for years but i did a little looking around at some other options

and i like free options cause well i like free

avg has done me well enough i suppose over the years but i know i can do better

so unless there is something else out there i am left deciding between avast and microsoft security essencials

from everything i've looked at these two are neck and neck in everything but avast runs faster

so i'm thinking i'll go with Avast

any other options out there that i may of missed that may be better?

or is there anything that would really convince me to go with MSE instead of Avast?

KennyF

We use AVG at home, The Computer Shop and all customers.

This amounts to around 50 users and so far (touch wood) no virus attacks.

KonGC (by the way, the 32" monitor is just great.)

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
(by the way, the 32" monitor is just great.)

my kiddo is chomping at the bit as much as i am to get the new comp together. we both want to play games on the big ol tv

but i'm already using the new monitor 27 inch and the first wide screen one i've ever used on a computer. it's pretty nice

greatplace

Broden i have been using avast for some years......you are right there is not much difference between the two......

I have been quite happy with their program and would stick with them........heads or tails

greatplace

• Like 1
dennis1105

I used Avast for years but, couldn't stand the constant and annoying popups for updates and such. Especially annoying when playing a game in another screen resolution...Right now I'm using MSE and have found it to be unobtrusive, fast and updates itself with Windows update. I'm dual booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows 8 has Windows Defender built in to the operating system. Windows Defender on Windows 8 has replaced MSE and has all the same features. The only difference is that on Windows 7, MSE updates were optional and on Windows 8 updates for Defender are classified as important or critical.

Dennis

• Like 1
ozboy

My free period with Avast is up n time to subscribe for a year..What i want to know is if its safe to buy using my credit card for purchase over the net?

Cipro
or is there anything that would really convince me to go with MSE instead of Avast?

I used to write AV software for a long time, in my opinion, for small installations or home use, Microsoft Security Essentials is the best at the moment. It consumes fewer resources than most and won't constantly try to up-sell you.

• Like 1
David Spicer

I use Security Essentials and I download a lot of torrents. It is unbelievably good for free.

• Like 1
greatplace

My experience with paying online has been good no problems.........I have done this for the last 6 years.....I take a 2 year program each time with upgrades during the period.......

senseless

If you have windows 7, I would say go without completely. If a program wants administrator access to do something dirty it prompts you first. As long as you click no there whenever you're unsure, or know an application shouldnt need admin privileges, you should be fine. I've never had a virus in all my years.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

even i run out of likes

Cipro

If you have windows 7, I would say go without completely. If a program wants administrator access to do something dirty it prompts you first. As long as you click no there whenever you're unsure, or know an application shouldnt need admin privileges, you should be fine. I've never had a virus in all my years.

I'm sorry but this is bad advice. A lot of malware will install itself via exploit, in other words it will inject malicious code into an already privileged process. While not granting elevation willy-nilly is a good practice and will prevent a lot of infections it will not prevent all or even most.

MarinePride

I've used AVG free for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem on any of my Windows PC's.

senseless

I'm sorry but this is bad advice. A lot of malware will install itself via exploit, in other words it will inject malicious code into an already privileged process. While not granting elevation willy-nilly is a good practice and will prevent a lot of infections it will not prevent all or even most.

The only way an exploit would work is if it was remote against an already running service, so as long as the firewall is working should be fine. Even if a script were to exploit the browser, it doesn't run privileged. A user would have to download something, or give it privileged status for the exploit to work.

Dunno, I never had any problems under XP either before these features were added. Unless someone else got onto my computer....

Cipro

I've used AVG free for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem on any of my Windows PC's.

I guess you missed the update where they turned all windows 7 64 bit machines into paperweights.

The only way an exploit would work is if it was remote against an already running service, so as long as the firewall is working should be fine. Even if a script were to exploit the browser, it doesn't run privileged. A user would have to download something, or give it privileged status for the exploit to work.

Dunno, I never had any problems under XP either before these features were added. Unless someone else got onto my computer....

First, privilege escalation exploits don't need your permission, they bypass the UAE completely and they exist. So all someone needs to do is couple a code injection exploit, which also exists, with an escalation exploit, and they are in. For instance local code in a browser JPG renderer that exploit the renderer to inject another exploit into a LOCAL_SYSTEM process with a vulnerability and poof, you are a spam bot.

You can go years *if* you are very careful but no one is safe. I've only had 3 infection events in my computing life, and all were inside virtual machines, 2 of them running AV. The AV caught them in the cases where it was installed but I always reverted to snapshots that were known clean anyway. BTW, running all activities in a sandbox like VMWare is the only time I would skip AV.

Edited by Cipro