Buying a laptop

Faluango

Im talking about resale value. A Macbook has a steady resale value while a PC will be worth close to nothing after a few years.

KennyF

For what it's worth, If you only need to be mobile sometimes I would have a cheap pad at $100 to $200.

A good desktop for the heavy work, and an Android smart phone as backup.

The lighter you can get a pad the better. 7" is quite OK at $100 or so but 10" at $200 is better.

KonGC

Mang Kanor

alienware can still be sold a hefty amount when you sell it in the philippines.

i have an alienware m15x core i7 for almost 2 yrs now and still kicking ass, but i would like to try a mac if i have enough money.

Cipro

The problem with Alienware (or any high end PC) is that in a year, it's not the fastest any more. In fact, in 6 months it's not. I got a high end gamer rig notebook once, $4400 worth at the time, and it was (is) damn nice, however the $850 notebook I just replaced it with is much better in every way. Smaller, lighter, bigger screen, better disks, faster CPU, GPU, you name it. Uses less power. Runs cooler. For $4400 I could have bought a $1200 notebook every year for 4 years, more if you figure the time value of the money. For the first year, the $4400 one would have been faster, every year after that, the new PC would be faster and I could sell a middle road gaming rig 1 year old for decent return on my money, or give it to someone I liked.

• Like 1
Mang Kanor

notebook now can be upgradable but not as much as a desktop. technology is very fast almost every quarter they introduce new laptop/phones/tablets, so for me buy the thing that can last long, resale value wont be much but at least you were once satisfied with the thing.

Cipro

Macs are much faster than PCs

No Macs ARE PCs with a goofy OS preinstalled and a big pricetag.

Faluango

No Macs ARE PCs with a goofy OS preinstalled and a big pricetag.

Your right about that but the Macs look better than PCs and I would never buy a PC if it comes around at the same price as a Mac.

Mac OS X is faster and more safe than Windows. Thats for sure.

Edited by Faluango
Cipro

Your right about that but the Macs look better than PCs and I would never buy a PC if it comes around at the same price as a Mac.

Mac OS X is faster and more safe than Windows. Thats for sure.

No, not really. For instance when I try to run Call of Duty or Crysis on a Mac, the performance is total crap.

Faluango

No, not really. For instance when I try to run Call of Duty or Crysis on a Mac, the performance is total crap.

Bullshit...

Athena

Thanks Daz for this thread, as we're also looking into laptaps as present to our daughter.

Well, not strictly as we already found one with a very good price. The hitch was that its loaded only with basic stuff. And I don’t think it would be long before the daughter would moan that her lap cannot do this and that.

So my question is, is there any free good software application out there. My daughter likes downloading music both for tunes and the teach yourself type including websites that gives musical sheets that you can apply to the piano or guitar. She is also into watching American comedy shows ie glee, the big bang theory (family favourite, btw) and some films. And from time to time join in some computer games site.

For my daughter to be able to do all the above do I need to buy extra hardware to increase the memory/capability of a basic laptap?

Thank you for the help.

rfm010

for the op: thread discussion has drifted toward resale value and particular applications. it might be helpful to know what you are going to do with the laptop.

if you go the pc route, i've had good success over the years with medium level dell laptops, although one older model had some overheating problems. newer models have been better. i don't use them for gaming or such but for general office work--powerpoints, statistical packages, and some medium level mathematical modeling. and watching movies and internet and such.

my wife's work has drifted toward dell's also although some colleagues are also into macs even for some heavier duty calculating. my daughter thinks buying a mac is about the dumbest thing a person could do but she is perhaps just mad at apple for messing with the support for her itouch or something or other...

for pcs in metro manila we generally go to villman, we've always had good service there. lots of locations:

www.villman.com/

Cipro

Bullshit...

Well you know if I want a Unixy platform where my software is unsupported, I'll run Linux for free ....

Cipro

Thanks Daz for this thread, as we're also looking into laptaps as present to our daughter.

Well, not strictly as we already found one with a very good price. The hitch was that its loaded only with basic stuff. And I don’t think it would be long before the daughter would moan that her lap cannot do this and that.

So my question is, is there any free good software application out there. My daughter likes downloading music both for tunes and the teach yourself type including websites that gives musical sheets that you can apply to the piano or guitar. She is also into watching American comedy shows ie glee, the big bang theory (family favourite, btw) and some films. And from time to time join in some computer games site.

For my daughter to be able to do all the above do I need to buy extra hardware to increase the memory/capability of a basic laptap?

Thank you for the help.

Just a subscription to a VPN service like hidemynet and go to crackle.com, LibreOffice, and other FOSS software will do most of this.

miles-high

I don’t know how to go about selling but I have 4 (four) netbooks/tablet for sale:

3 (three) e-machine 10’ 160Gb: 1) 1 year old used, 2) a boxed, never used (opened to occasionally charge the battery and to use MS auto-update) and 3) used for 4 months or so… XP and 7 but I don’t know which OS is installed on which one, too lazy to find out at the time of this writing); and

1 Fujitsu tablet 10’ 320Gb, English 7 but the keyboard is both English and Japanese, with genuine Office home, new Nov 2011, no box but used 5 days during a seminar only… Not recommended for power user, dumping this one real cheap for that reason…

Any reasonable offer considered… in Manila or Cebu (only between Mar 10 thru 14)… Since I am not in the computer business, no warranty of any kind sale final… PM me if interested...

Edited by miles-high