Buying a laptop

I want to buy a laptop. My wife is in Manila. Any online shops? Any recomendations?

%Thanks Daz

There are many stores in mall of Asia, make sure she buys an original operating system (Windows 7) since you have to buy it separate. You can also try openpinoy.com for online shopping.

USMC-Retired

I just bought this and my daughter will put it in the next BB Box:

http://www.walmart.c...remium/19511725

That is a good deal. Really a nice computer.

Buy apple is nice and would be nice yet the price tag and support here is limited.

MacBook is cool and support now can be online like when they upgraded the OS to Lion. :twocents:

Faluango

I recommend you to buy a Macbook Pro 13"or 15". There are many advantages that come along with Mac (no viruses, long battery life, international warranty, beautiful design,... )

You can buy your Macbook in the Apple iStore or you can buy it cheaper from someone who brought them in from abroad.

In Manila theres many people selling brand new Apple Laptops at great prices with international warranty (can easily be verified).

http://www.sulit.com...cbook+pro+price

and

http://www.sulit.com...e&featureType=1

When I switched to Mac for the first time I felt like my life changed and my IQ raised.

The good thing about Apple laptops is that the warranty can be extended and the value doesn't drop down as much as a PC. For example, if you bought your Macbook brand new for 1499$ then you can easily sell it for 900$ after 3 years of use.

If you really can not afford a Macbook but you really want it then you can buy a PC and install Ubuntu Linux on it and use the Macbuntu theme which looks and feels just like Mac OS X. I'm actually planning to buy one of those Macbook Air knock offs (http://kodmern.files...a-knockoff2.jpg) for 300$ in Colon and use Macbuntu on it for when i'm on the road as my original 15" Macbook Pro is kind of heavy and big and the Macbook Air is too expensive for what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoauD97pkXs

I bought my 15" Macbook Pro late 2010 model secondhand here in Cebu from someone who desperately needed cash and she also claimed that she didnt like Mac at all and would rather use Windows. She got the Macbook as a gift from her father.

I made a really good deal on that one.

You can bring your Apple Laptop to the Apple iStore in Banilad Town Centre whenever you need to get something fixed on it.

Edited by Faluango

I bought a toshiba 15" on sale here in the states at best buy in december for $269, (certainly the el cheapo model, but works ok for basic , email, chat, surfing stuff ) worst drawback is the speakers suck, but usb speakers are cheap.

I got it home did the backup copies that toshiba recomended, uninstalled a bunch of bloatware that came preinstalled ( improved the speed alot) then packed it well in a BB box, sent it with LBC to manila from east coast us, cost was $70 ( Is $10 more to deliver to provinces ). best part was no tax or duty was asked for on delivery, I used kids interlocking foam play mats for padding in the box ( i think it was skyman that suggested this, sorry if was someone else ) arrived in good shape in 6 weeks. I had looked in to buying one online, there in manila, but ended up going this way, cuz i was able to include some gifts for my friends kids with the cost savings. Fedex quoted me $140 , plus duty and taxes, which seems to vary widely from shipment to shipment. Your results may vary, but this is how i did it, good luck

David Spicer

The good thing about Apple laptops is that the warranty can be extended and the value doesn't drop down as much as a PC. For example, if you bought your Macbook brand new for 1499$ then you can easily sell it for 900$ after 3 years of use.

If I ever buy a non-Alienware notebook for $1,500, someone please shoot me :wub:

• Admin (Retired)
broden

If I ever buy a non-Alienware notebook for $1,500, someone please shoot me :wub:

if we do can we have the laptop?

David Spicer

if we do can we have the laptop?

LOL Not likely to happen. For that much money I could have bought 4 of the HP quad core notebooks that I just bought. Sell 3 of them here for P25,000 each, and mine would be free :D

• Like 1
Faluango

If I ever buy a non-Alienware notebook for $1,500, someone please shoot me :tinkerbell:

Alienware is worth close to nothing after 3 years of use.

• Like 1
David Spicer

Alienware is worth close to nothing after 3 years of use.

I don't need that kind of high performance. And a gaming console is cheaper.