wi fi antenna

the.lone.gunman

Has anyone tried using a wi fi antenna to boost w ifi reception? I see them for sale and I wonder if they really work.

USMC-Retired

When you were back home and had an Old TV with Rabbit ears. Did the rabbit ears boost the signal of your TV so you could see it?

Well I think you know the answer.

If you are talking about some over rated booster for antennas then they tend to be at best spotty results.

Edited by Norseman
Kodiak570

I remember looking into this, but never got into tinkering with it. There are TONS of YouTube videos that provide instruction, but I think some will try to sell you something while the others have some components that may not be readily available here in the RP (not exactly positive though). If you do go the DIY route, I would love to hear of the results.

dc3driver

I had a yagi antenna in the states, highly directional, worked great. Didn't pay for internet for the last 2 years before coming here as there almost always was an unsecured wireless router within range.

KennyF

It's a matter of getting hold of the right one.

Generally, up to a point, bigger is better.

Check eBay.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

I had a yagi antenna in the states, highly directional, worked great. Didn't pay for internet for the last 2 years before coming here as there almost always was an unsecured wireless router within range.

Now do not go out tell everyone the secret to free internet in the states. I lived in an apartment complex you just need a omni directional antenna out the window. In San Diego at least 10 to 15 unsecured wireless connections.