Sign in to follow this  
Cuda

Where to swim on Mactan island ?

Cuda

Are there any publicly accessible areas where one can take a dip besides known resorts ? I don't need a sandy beach, just a reasonably clean water for some snorkeling and swimming.

aussiekangaroo

Not that I know of, White Sands beach is very nice tho. I usually swim at the beach in Li loan but it's quite brownish water.

ckfm

There are some strips of white beach for public use, entrance fee is low but I would avoid those places. Thinking about the CR there still gives me the shivers.

Athena

There is a public beach down in Marigondon Area. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name as I had been only there once for a short time. My husband and children didn’t fancy the local beach and have their faces dripping, so we have to moved to a beach resort.

However, I remember it that the water was very clear and deep. It’s a very rocky beach, as Marigondon is really a rocky area, certainly, ideal for snorkelling. The beach area is certainly nothing fancy, and the cottages are pretty basic and built close together. You might have problems with security of your stuff. At high tide the water goes very close to the cottages. If I remember the cottages only cost P200 but it might be more than that now.

If you know any local they might be able to help you or alternative go to Marigondon then ask tricycle driver in Marigondon area for the local beach. You have to tell them that it not a resort you are looking but the local beach where Filipinos goes to. I recall them to be a bit far from the main road. Have a look at the map below where Marigondon area is:-

http://www.asiawebdirect.com/maps/philippines/mactan-island.htm

• Like 1

CNE Tower

What happened to the beach at Tambuli or Hadsan? I used to go there in the 90's.

samatm

I like to swim and snorkel at Kon Tiki in Maribago. 50p to swim. the place is clean .. the reef gradually slopes off then it drops away. great area to learn diving. Also the canteen is nice and low key with good food. expect to see lots of koreans doing dive training.

• Like 1

driftR

We went to Shangri-La Resort, I was surprised that the water looked fairly clean there.

samatm

There is a public beach down in Marigondon Area. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name as I had been only there once for a short time. My husband and children didn’t fancy the local beach and have their faces dripping, so we have to moved to a beach resort.

However, I remember it that the water was very clear and deep. It’s a very rocky beach, as Marigondon is really a rocky area, certainly, ideal for snorkelling. The beach area is certainly nothing fancy, and the cottages are pretty basic and built close together. You might have problems with security of your stuff. At high tide the water goes very close to the cottages. If I remember the cottages only cost P200 but it might be more than that now.

If you know any local they might be able to help you or alternative go to Marigondon then ask tricycle driver in Marigondon area for the local beach. You have to tell them that it not a resort you are looking but the local beach where Filipinos goes to. I recall them to be a bit far from the main road. Have a look at the map below where Marigondon area is:-

http://www.asiawebdi...ctan-island.htm

the local beach at Marigondon is really nasty now...however just to the left on a private road (10p) you can get to Vanos Beach which is just a step or two up . (something like 20 P entry for swimming and "cottages" extra. ) Go during the week as the weekends are packed out.

• Like 1

ckfm

We went to Shangri-La Resort, I was surprised that the water looked fairly clean there.

I believe the entrance fee for foreigners was 4,000 pesos (inc. lunch) back in 2005. That is without hotel room - ouch.

• Like 1

driftR

I believe the entrance fee for foreigners was 4,000 pesos (inc. lunch) back in 2005. That is without hotel room - ouch.

actually they offer a day pass for 2500 pesos per person, it includes a great first class buffet lunch and full use of the facilites including Gym, sauna, spa etc plus the swimming pools that I have to say are very nice, the beaches, the vollyball nets, badminton etc. I think for a special day out it is not too bad value. I wouldn't be able to do that everyday but the girls love it once in a while.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
actually they offer a day pass for 2500 pesos per person

Do you know if that includes a 'short time' room?

liquido

The public beaches in Mactan are god awful..unless you want to spend big money at one of the overpriced resorts there..one of the reasons why I left that place..

• Like 1

MarinePride

Since I live in the area I just have to say that the beaches are not any good, unless you venture onto one of the various resorts in Punta Engano. None of them are cheap. I've been to some of the public beaches here and they were all over crowded and lots of debris in the water.

The best beach I've been to on the island is Shangri La, there are videos on YouTube of the place. Check them out to see how nice that beach is. They actually pick up the seaweed every morning there and keep the place real clean. The beach at White Sands is not nice at all, but they have a nice fresh water pool.

Soto Grande has an acceptable sandy beach and I didn't mind it.

• Like 1

driftR

The best beach I've been to on the island is Shangri La, there are videos on YouTube of the place. Check them out to see how nice that beach is. They actually pick up the seaweed every morning there and keep the place real clean.

Yes the beach there was very nice, it was also a great sight to see the fish swimming around

Do you know if that includes a 'short time' room?

I'm not sure about that, I doubt it!

driftR

Does anyone know of any other resorts near Cebu like Mactan etc (within 45 mins from Cebu city) that also offer day passes? The Shangri La is great but it's more of a thing you would do once a month, I wouldn't mind knowing of some cheaper ones that we could go to more often?

Edited by driftR