Sign in to follow this  
max883

Dangerous Sharks Around Cebu?

spooks

Yes is the short answer. Many of the usual suspects will be found in these waters. Hammerheads & Tigers will be the bigger ones. Great Whites are found all over just not in such great numbers. The great whites are warm blooded so they can move through most thermoclines very comfortably. The Whaler family sharks will be mainly grey, white and black tip reef sharks.

Headshot

Great white sharks are VERY rare in tropical waters...at least anywhere near land. Out in mid-ocean, they may be more common, but great whites like colder water, so they are likely going to spend most of their time at depth. More likely (if you are in deep water) is that you will see the great white's cousin, the mako shark, which looks very similar to a great wite, but is smaller (and faster).

BTW, I was diving off Stinson Beach in California when a surfer on the surface was eaten by a great white, so I became interested in them really fast. Generally, you are only likely to find concentrations of great white sharks nearby seal or sea lion pupping grounds...which are usually in cooler waters. I really never liked diving in cold water anyway.

• Like 1

SkyMan
There are also highly venomous sea snakes here. For the most part, they are very shy, and will not become aggressives unless cornered...so don't corner them.
And don't get between them and their air source. As in, don't swim over them.

Headshot

And don't get between them and their air source. As in, don't swim over them.

As long as they don't feel threatened, they will happily swim around you.

spooks

"Great white sharks are VERY rare in tropical waters...at least anywhere near land. Out in mid-ocean, they may be more common, but great whites like colder water"

Water temperature for a warm blooded creature is more managable that is why they are found all over. More are found where the food source is.

You should see the size of the ones taken at the old Carnavern whaling station up on the North west capes, huge mudders. Further North in the Bay at Exmouth where the Humpbacks give birth the water gets up to just short of 30 C and the place is not short of them there either, water warmer there than here where 26/7c is a good range. I dived in my Titanium here and they thought it was a stinger suit until showed them the lining its good a 3mm effect but lots lighter, water still felt warm. The GW like the freebies especially when a prawn trawler runs over a whale, the carcass is fed on by GW in very warm water whilst the Tigers stand off and await their turn. To get depth of 15m in the bay its 'cos you got your shovel with you!!

'Shadow Below' by Hugh Edwards is very interesting read hugely informative and strips away some of the territorial myths that surround the range of some species and GW is up there.

Diving the capes, the Tigers were easy to spot it was the moving large shadows in the murk that gave cause for consternation. Bottom end of the bay in real end of summer heat the water temp got up to over 30C and you know who was there to take advantage where the Tigers would not go as it was too warm for them!!

Edited by spooks

aussiekangaroo

I normally swim at the beach in Li Loan and never thought about these things. The water is pretty polluted as well.

lazydays

I'll just stick to swim pools, no water sharks, sea snakes, jelly fish, sea urchins, pollution, raw sewerage etc etc.

Now Land sharks thats a whole different ball game.

Bill H
but I did hear there are giant crocidiles in a diving place called Moalboal in cebu

You heard wrong, very wrong. There are NO CROCODILES in Cebu, particularly in Moalboal. If you want the pleasure of swimming with crocodiles, go to Palawan. They are pretty easy to find in those waters, just swim up a river. They also have them in Southern Mindanao I'm told, but the locals are probably more dangerous to you there than the crocodiles!

Bill

• Like 1

lazydays

Yep plenty of Crocs in Mindanao, Cobras too.

In fact the largest Croc ever captured alive was captured a few months back in Agusan Marsh, Mindanao. This salt water Croc was over 20ft long and weighed 2370lb estimated to be @ 20yrs old.

Its been re-located to a Nature Park Reserve in Agusan Del Sur, Mindanao.

post-6307-0-90891600-1330867276_thumb.jpg

Headshot

You heard wrong, very wrong. There are NO CROCODILES in Cebu, particularly in Moalboal. If you want the pleasure of swimming with crocodiles, go to Palawan. They are pretty easy to find in those waters, just swim up a river. They also have them in Southern Mindanao I'm told, but the locals are probably more dangerous to you there than the crocodiles!

Bill

Well...that's not exactly true. There are quite a few crocodiles in Talisay City (just south of Cebu City) at Crocolandia...a private zoo. I think the biggest salty there is 16 or 17 feet long. swimming with the crocs in Crocolandia is NOT advised. But...I suppose you were talking about crocodiles loose in the wild. On that, I think you are probably right. However, saltwater crocodiles can swim between islands, so just because there aren't any crocs around Cebu NOW doesn't mean there won't ever be any crocodiles here. There is actually some pretty good habitat for them here.

Edited by Headshot

The professor

Dangerous sharks abound in Cebu I am led to believe. Not only from my own eyes has this been witnessed but also news reports and even several reports in this very forum. Yes, it is indeed dangerous to walk some of the streets as these predators apparently abound, some of the time, but you would still be a little unlucky to be bitten by one of these predatory animals. Fortunately for your health, your pocket may be the only casualty.

George45

GEEZ Mr.prof DA maybe you can read the earler post and not post the same thing.

Headshot

George, I might suggest that you get back on your meds.

• Like 1

George45

Nope you must agree with me it was more fun when the old Mr. Ward was here.

It kept everone on there toes

The professor

GEEZ Mr.prof DA maybe you can read the earler post and not post the same thing.

Why thank kind sir for pointing out my deficiencies for one and all.

I would reply in kind, however, I don't believe even this forum would allow such lengthy posts to be submitted.

You are well advised sir, to follow the directions of your peer, below your original post on this page.

Keep up the good work as I see very little of this level of intelligence in my area of expertise.

And, I can recommend excellent education facilities for you so you may 'catch up' the lacking 14 years or so of your formal past education.

No need to thank me, this advice and information is free as is usual for me when dealing with disadvantaged persons.