Sign in to follow this  
max883

Dangerous Sharks Around Cebu?

max883

There are dangers sharks in cebu seas? thanks its only a curiosity

easy44

Yes. The most dangerous ones are the Cebu Land Sharks. Females of the species can usually be found in the Mango area, often pursued by males. They have been known to strip the contents of your wallet in 30 minutes flat.

• Like 9

driftR

I'm not sure but a diving friend once told me watch out for tiger sharks and electric eels in the Philippines. I'm not sure if this is the case for cebu or not but I did hear there are giant crocidiles in a diving place called Moalboal in cebu, again I'm not sure how much truth is in that or not?

senseless

There are eels, white tip, black tip that i've heard of around cebu. (Mostly on moalboal side of the island in deeper waters off reefs) The only shark attacks i've heard of here occured in northern philippines between luzon and taiwan.. were probably great whites.

You're probably far more likely to get hurt on a sea urchin than being bitten by a shark.

I've also seen a number of extremely large jelly fish. Even being near them stung my skin.

Edited by senseless

turbo black

we have white tip reef sharks in the northern part of cebu mostly around the lighthouse island.

the jelly fish are by far the more dangerous species

David Kennedy

I never thought about the jellyfish when swimming...good point

A_Simple_Man

I haven't seen sharks around Cebu (not saying there aren't any, just that I haven't seen them) but there are a lot of dolphins. Here is an interesting thread on the dolphins from a while back

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/8794-swimming-with-dolphins/

shadow

There are semi frequent reports of Hammerheads and Tiger sharks off the southern tip of Cebu, near Sumilon.

Larry in Dumaguete

johnboy999

Certainly not dangerous but we have whale sharks near Oslob, of course. We went there last weekend and they are only 200m off the beach

johnboy999

Apparently, there are plenty of thresher sharks at Malapascua, off the northern tip of Cebu. The resort advertises it as one of the only places in the world you can dive with them every day

Jim Sibbick

I heard people go swimming with them at Oslob. So I imagine the Oslob sharks are not dangerous.

People go diving from Malapascua Island to swim with the sharks so I imagine they are not dangerous either.

I presume any shark stupid enough to swim through the Upon Channel between Cebu City and Mactan Island would be dead from pollution before it could swim out again.

Regards: Jim

ckfm

There was a large population of hammerheads south of Cebu (not sure where exactly) but a Korean fishing boat fished them all up some years ago.

johnboy999

I heard people go swimming with them at Oslob. So I imagine the Oslob sharks are not dangerous.

People go diving from Malapascua Island to swim with the sharks so I imagine they are not dangerous either.

I presume any shark stupid enough to swim through the Upon Channel between Cebu City and Mactan Island would be dead from pollution before it could swim out again.

Regards: Jim

The whale sharks at Oslob are definitely not dangerous unless you ignore the code of conduct and swim too close to their tails. An inadvertent blow from those huge fins wouldn't do you any good!

The threshers at Malapascua are also not dangerous to humans - they have very small teeth and are very timid http://www.malapascua-diving.com/ThresherSharks.html

Headshot

Unfortunately, most of the sharks around the Philippines have been killed for shark-fin soup. There are really very few left. There is a resident silvertip shark and a resident thresher shark that feed on the baitfish around Pescador Island off the coast of Moalboal. While it is pretty thrilling to see them zoom in to take small fish from the huge school around the island, they are not really considered very dangerous. Blacktips and whitetips are a bit more aggressive, but generally are all bluff as long as you see them in time. Tiger sharks and hammerheads are a different story however. I would rather NOT be in the water with them. I have never seen a tiger shark in the ocean (nor do I want to), but I had an encounter with a very large hammerhead diving off Puerto Rico that taught me that they are not to be trifled with. That shark was actively hunting us, and we barely made it out of the water in time.

• Like 1

Headshot

As for other hazards in the ocean here...well there are. Indeed, we are at the northern edge of the range for box jellyfish, but they do still make an occasional appearance. Stay away from them, and do not dive without at least a dive skin. Most other jellyfish hurt if you come into contact, but they aren't likely to kill you. There are several types of venomous fish and mollusks here. Just don't touch anything you aren't completely sure is safe, and they will pose little threat to you.

As for electric eels...they do NOT exist here. Electric eels are freshwater fish from the Amazon river basin, and do NOT exist in the oceans. There are, however moray eels here that can take a finger, or even a hand, if you are careless. There are also highly venomous sea snakes here. For the most part, they are very shy, and will not become aggressives unless cornered...so don't corner them. They are an aquatic version of a banded krait, of which the land versions are known as one-steppers and two-steppers (the number of steps you might be able to take after being bitten before you die).

Generally, the things that are really dangerous in the waters around Cebu are NOT aggressive, so just practice good diving etiquette and you will probably never have a problem. If there are box jellies, a tiger shark or a hammerhead shark in the water, get out. For everything else, just keep your wits about you and enjoy your dive.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1