SmartBro Keeps Disconecting?

I have got smartbro on my usb but it keeps disconnecting after a few minutes. I'm on the unisurf 200 unlimited for 5 days. I used this last time I was here with no problems, I wonder if they now disconnect people on unisurf 200 to keep the bandwidth low? If not, is there some settings I should change in the network settings?

this is really annoying, i hope someone will help me. I noticed last night i was watching a video online and it did not disconect so maybe it is something to do with ping? I don't use the smartbro software as i have my own hawawi unlocked modem.

Edited by driftR
senseless

The smart network is shit. I get disconnected frequently myself. I only keep smart for my laptop and as a back up if pldt decides to unplug my phone line for a few hours because they can (happened a number of times in the last few weeks). Went to manila recently, and even there smart was unusable until after 9pm. I'd recommend getting a DSL if at all possible. From bayantel if you're lucky enough to be in their business service area (they only offer business dsl services in cebu, downtown cebu and half of mactan between the airport and the bridges, but not after the airport, we're 1km too far at my place :( .) If you can't get bayantel go for PLDT.

Wife's family in manila got bayantel installed last week. Day#1 they went to the office, signed up, and paid the initial payment. Day#2 the phone line was installed at 9am, and then the DSL guy installed the modem at noon. It was simply amazing to see that level of service in the philippines.

Edited by senseless

I had the same issue, The reason it keeps disconnecting is you are watching Video that consumes a lot of bandwidth. try downloading anything for a while and you would see reduced speed even further.

When i first brought the SmartBRO, the speed was around 4 Mb and after a while once, i switched on You tube, the next day the speed reduced. They are evil, they have recorded the SIM and it would be same all the time. if you want to check this, buy a new smartbro and try, it will have normal speed but as soon as you start watching videos or download, the speed will be reduced with frequent disconnection.

Smart network is unreliable and they only want customers, that use low bandwidth, move on to globe which is lesser of the evil...but never buy SUN broadband, it won't even work, they are trying to kill the SUN network which was cheaper and popular.

Hi, thanks guys for the replies but I should mention a couple of things first:

1. I'm on the road so I can't get ADSL etc and can only use Smartbro for now.

2. The video is not the problem, if you reread my post I said it worked fine when I was watching video not the other way around!

I do know what you are saying about them cutting down your bandwidth as that happened to me last time I was downloading torrents, yes they are the most evil bastads around I agree.

I lived in Cebu city earlier this year and besides them cutting my bandwidth down I never had these disconecting issues.

THIS IS SOMETHING A TECHY NEEDS TO TELL ME. THis is not about smartbro's performance issues, we all know they are crap and evil. I need someone that knows what they are doing to tell me what settings I need to adjust from default in the Mobile Partner software?

Fish Sandwich

You are correct about the ping or some sort of inactivity timeout period. Mine does the exact same thing. However, I have a trading app that I run that is constantly requesting small chart updates. When it's running, my connection never drops. But, I haven't found any settings to tweak. Some devices might have a keep alive, but I'm not aware of any. You could also run a continuous ping, but that's pretty low budget.

Every internet solution here is crap for the power internet user. Location is key. When on the road, I suggest carrying multiple sims (Smart, Globe & Sun). Otherwise, just use what works best in your area. That's smart to have your own modem, as sim cards are cheap when not in a modem kit.

Edited by Fish Sandwich
tokyoman

Can anyone tell me if Smart bro works in Toledo city? I am going to be staying in a house about 10 minutes from Gaisano

Woolf

this is really annoying, i hope someone will help me. I noticed last night i was watching a video online and it did not disconect so maybe it is something to do with ping? I don't use the smartbro software as i have my own hawawi unlocked modem.

Did you try this

http://info.smart.com.ph/internet/mobile-internet/unli-surf/

I used if for a while until I got my Globe wimax installed, I just used a smart buddy sim, and put the sim in my usb modem after that I on the cellphone txt

UNLI 300 send to 211

In Mobil Partner

APN

static and internet

Authentication

Access number: *99#

User name: blank

Password: blank

Fish Sandwich

Did you try this...

I use this and it doesn't make a difference as far as the disconnects go. There is clearly an inactivity timeout period... at least with prepaid.

One strange thing, I have Smart Buddy and Smart Bro sims. If Smart Bro (Unlisurf) is giving me a connectivity/slowness issue, many times I can use my Smart Buddy sim (Unli) and rectify the issue...and vice versa. However, I find that Smart Bro is consistently faster than Smart Buddy, so I default to Smart Bro. I have my theories, but kinda weird when they use the same tower.

Woolf

Maybe I did not get the disconnects because my mail program check the mail server every 5 minutes, I also have other programs running, that constantly checks connections to different servers

USMC-Retired

You need a program that sends a ping request automatically. Thus your connection does not seem dormant. I do not know what the time out rate is for Smartbro yet there is one.

http://www.sector101.fsnet.co.uk/keepalive/index.html

Just use that site to keep you alive run it in new window

ellenbrook2001

smart or globe they are useless they advertised fast surfing what a joke don't know how they get away with false promises?unless you live under the signal tower hahaha so funny/

Did you try this

http://info.smart.co...rnet/unli-surf/

I used if for a while until I got my Globe wimax installed, I just used a smart buddy sim, and put the sim in my usb modem after that I on the cellphone txt

UNLI 300 send to 211

In Mobil Partner

APN

static and internet

Authentication

Access number: *99#

User name: blank

Password: blank

thanka mate, I changed it to static as it was the other by default. When you say "internet" do you mean I should type "internet" in the APN field?

Woolf

thanka mate, I changed it to static as it was the other by default. When you say "internet" do you mean I should type "internet" in the APN field?

Yes that is what worked for me

OK, so I have another more recent model modem I also brought along but I thought it was locked so I had not used it until I was to get it unlocked. Earlier I thought I would just put the sim card in anyway in case it was not even locked,.guess what it wasn't! I also found some old settings so I used them as they were stable last time, this might help others if they have similar issues..

In the APN I typed "smartbro" and have it on Static. It is currently on "WCDMA Only" for Network type, not sure if this is correct though? Anyway the good thing is I have been connected for about an hour with not one single disconect although it did slow down a few times but much much bettter :taz: