Starting a business in cebu

A friend of mine wants to start an internet cafe business here in cebu. He's japanese and can only speak basic english and know's nothing about how to start a business in cebu. I don't know anything about business but he asked what are the steps to start one. His girlfriend will be the acting owner of the internet cafe. What papers are required? Where can we get them in cebu and how much do these paperworks usually cost?

Edited by jpman
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpman

• jtmwatchbiz

• Davaoeno

• aussiedon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a much better deal for the Japanese guy- and it offers a 10% per month return.   Here's how it works. He gives me 200K and then every month i will return to him 10% or 20K   At the end of 6

perhaps to save your friend from alot of time-wasting aggravation, why not just take a pile of pesos...say 2 or 3 hundred thousand, and dump it in the donation basket at the nearest church? at least t

Posted Images

jtmwatchbiz

A friend of mine wants to start an internet cafe business here in cebu. He's japanese and can only speak basic english and know's nothing about how to start a business in cebu. I don't know anything about business but he asked what are the steps to start one. His girlfriend will be the acting owner of the internet cafe. What papers are required? Where can we get them in cebu and how much do these paperworks usually cost?

perhaps to save your friend from alot of time-wasting aggravation, why not just take a pile of pesos...say 2 or 3 hundred thousand, and dump it in the donation basket at the nearest church? at least there is a chance the money or part of it will be put to good use, and forget about opening the cafe.

i only say this due to the fact that your friend is japanese with limited english skills, and the "acting owner" in your words is a local who obviously doesn't have a clue about business, for if she did, then you would not need to be posting questions here.

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2

That's more of a service than an answer to which papers to get and which office to go to in cebu.

Davaoeno

I have a much better deal for the Japanese guy- and it offers a 10% per month return.

Here's how it works. He gives me 200K and then every month i will return to him 10% or 20K

At the end of 6 months we call it a deal. He has 120 k [ and of course i got 80K]

I assure you it will be a much better return than opening an internet cafe. And the best news of all - i wont even charge a fee for setting the deal up

• Like 9
aussiedon

wouldnt it be better to find out if an internet cafe in Cebu is a viable business?

I owned one for about 5 years,

others on this forum have also,

I dont know anyone who got in to the Internet cafe business and still owns one , or more to the point

ever admitted it was a good business to get in to.

jtmwatchbiz

I have a much better deal for the Japanese guy- and it offers a 10% per month return.

Here's how it works. He gives me 200K and then every month i will return to him 10% or 20K

At the end of 6 months we call it a deal. He has 120 k [ and of course i got 80K]

I assure you it will be a much better return than opening an internet cafe. And the best news of all - i wont even charge a fee for setting the deal up

why be so exclusive, and limit your tempting alternative to business by offering it only to the japanese guy? why not list your deal in the products and services section so anyone with little or no business sense can avail your services?

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
That's more of a service than an answer to which papers to get and which office to go to in cebu

You would think so but he's a soft touch. Buy Paul a beer and he will answer questions for you. :P He only charges when he actually has to do something. Of course, when you find out how much work it is you may just hire him to do it.

Anyone else who gives you answers here MAY be helping you, or they may be the blind leading the blind, or they just may be stringing you along as folks here have seen a lot of guys 'start a business' and find it amusing.

I'm inclined to reply with a religous debate on philippine churches and pacman supporters but I'll skip it today.

Knowing about business or not is irrelevant to the questions. You don't have to be business savvy to succeed in business. Lots of successful people started a business without any background knowledge. The chinese are perfect examples of hardwork pays off even if they didn't even go to school. And well the japanese work harder than everybody else.

There is only one way for a foreigner to own a small business in Cebu, and that is to buy a big one. I have truly never known anyone ever break even, let alone make money. If you want to keep busy, at not to high a cost, then it might be OK, but as a genuine business I would definitely forget it. Too many people will find ways to extract the funds you initially allocate and then demand more. There will be endless hidden costs that no-one told you about and money that gets diverted to emergencies which have nothing to do with the business. Cebu is a place to spend money, not to earn it.

lazydays

Internet Cafe business ......... :) ......... :killself:

wouldnt it be better to find out if an internet cafe in Cebu is a viable business?

I owned one for about 5 years,

others on this forum have also,

I dont know anyone who got in to the Internet cafe business and still owns one , or more to the point

ever admitted it was a good business to get in to.

If you owned one for five years I think that's fine. Beats the food business that's gone in 6 months to a year.

The initial investment of 300k pesos is nothing. Its a months income for the japanese guy. For him its low risk and less hassle instead of opening a club where DOMs would just be hanging around trying to exploit the youngest, oblivious cebuana or some old guys trying to get a pinay wife. Lol

aussiedon

If you base your income on , number of computers working 8-12 hrs per day 7 days a week MINUS building rent, elec, ISP, salary for a couple of employees, then yes you will go broke very fast , you will be pouring more money in to the place than its bringing in just to keep the doors open.

LOCATION is the single most importan thing. so of course the best location will draw the highest rent.

having been there done that I would not consider it a good business to be in. especially if you are putting the business in your GF's name. money to burn? then there's no problem, go for it.

• Like 1
Faluango

Try to buy an exisiting internet cafe. In fact, there are many businesses opportunities in Cebu which are far better but require alot more work.

Still the question is. What papers to get and where to get them? :)

And I'll tell my friend not to expect too much from the business. I'm sure he's ok since he has low expectations with income from the Philippines.

Its more for his girlfriend.