Internet access using flash drives. Which is best, most economical?

Since there are about 3 (SmartBro, Globe, Sun) choices for internet flash drives (sticks), I would like to know which is the best one for Cebu? The wifi in my hotel is very slow so I want to use one of the service providers. I know you have to buy the thumb drive, most of which cost about 995 p. But after that it has to be loaded. I want a hassle-free set up, 24/7 internet access. Which one is the most economical? For example I have a friend using the Globe Tatoo here in Cebu. She pays 500 p for a week of 24/7. For traveling, she loads up her SmartBro because it has better reception outside of Cebu. Other, less inclusive programs end up costing something like 20 p per hours, which I think is still expensive. So, what is the best program from your experience?

It will depend on where you are in Cebu. I'm living about a km outside of where I could be using a real Globe broadband line, so have been limited to using these sticks.

My opinion of Tattoo living in Argao: Complete and utter shit. Unreliable, more often than not I can't even open google, or have to wait several minutes. Seems to get worse late at night, when you would expect internet to improve. I could go on, but I'll just get angry. Just frustrating for me after having globe broadband in Talisay for about 4 years, which was overall very good and fast.

I've heard it isn't too bad if you live near Cebu City, but out this far you will regret it. I have to go to the internet cafe to download anything. Can't wait to move later this year..

TheMatrix

I had Globe originally and lost my USB stick. For replacement, I went with a less expensive choice of Sun, big mistake!! If you are going to be in the big cities, Cebu and Manila, Sun is probably okay, but if you travel to Bohol, Palawan or any rural areas, you'll suffer connectivity problems. I regret getting my Sun stick. If anyone wants to buy it from me, I'll give it for half price (300p), so I will go buy a new Globe stick (1200p).

USMC-Retired

I have done alot of research on this issue. Smart has the widest coverage of all brands. However none of them have 3G coverage nation wide. Smart has the most towers that have 3G coverage. What 3G coverage means is speed. You will find that when you exit the major cities you will drop to enhanced 2G or GPRS coverage. That is about double the speed of dial up. Then when you get about 20KM outside of that you will fall to GPRS which is less then or equal to dial up. As for price they are all about the same.

The towers for Globe Smart and Sun are about as follows for internet coverage. Smart has about 80% of the nation covered with some form of internet. Globe at about 60% and Sun at about 35%. 3G coverage gets really bad. Smart at about 20% Globe 15% and Sun 5%. The towers are scattered so you could have awesome 3G one place and 40 meters left or right you get another tower and no 3G coverage.

Prepaid is expensive. The cost for Prepaid is 10 pesos per 1/2 hour of use. You can get unlimited smart for 999 pesos not a bad deal. There is a 6 month lock in. Smart does not throttle you after certain usage. That is important. Globe after 1gig of data on prepaid will turn you off till the next billing day. Post paid they throttle you to 1/3 of tower capable speed.

If you are in Metro Manila or Boracy then you have some spotty 4G coverage.

Hope it helps

• Like 1
TheMatrix

I have done alot of research on this issue. Smart has the widest coverage of all brands. However none of them have 3G coverage nation wide. Smart has the most towers that have 3G coverage. What 3G coverage means is speed. You will find that when you exit the major cities you will drop to enhanced 2G or GPRS coverage. That is about double the speed of dial up. Then when you get about 20KM outside of that you will fall to GPRS which is less then or equal to dial up. As for price they are all about the same.

The towers for Globe Smart and Sun are about as follows for internet coverage. Smart has about 80% of the nation covered with some form of internet. Globe at about 60% and Sun at about 35%. 3G coverage gets really bad. Smart at about 20% Globe 15% and Sun 5%. The towers are scattered so you could have awesome 3G one place and 40 meters left or right you get another tower and no 3G coverage.

Prepaid is expensive. The cost for Prepaid is 10 pesos per 1/2 hour of use. You can get unlimited smart for 999 pesos not a bad deal. There is a 6 month lock in. Smart does not throttle you after certain usage. That is important. Globe after 1gig of data on prepaid will turn you off till the next billing day. Post paid they throttle you to 1/3 of tower capable speed.

If you are in Metro Manila or Boracy then you have some spotty 4G coverage.

Hope it helps

Good info! Thanks.

A_Simple_Man
I have done alot of research on this issue.

While I agree with everything Norseman has posted, I found that it benefited me to have both Smart and Globe prepaid USB modems plugged into my computer at the same time. When one is giving me trouble I switch to the other. When travelling I use whichever one is giving the better service. Its only 1K pesos for the stick and you only need use one at a time so your cost of load is pretty much the same as just having one. Why limit yourself at the cost of 1K pesos? You'll be glad you did on the day your Internet is down.

• Like 2
ellenbrook2001

PHILIPPINES hes a country with so many cell phone i am confused why they net work hes not fast compare too other country even 3G coverage i am near the tower i be lucky if i get 2 G or if busy time all drop too 1.5 G i got also ADSL at 3 G but do get mostly 2.5 G i had smart in case of failure power or PLTD doing repair maintenance .PHILIPPINE has been good for me but the Internet hes bad if you watch sport on line always lugging ????????? Mr MATRIX for your half price (300p common mate you can give free 300 P hes nothing for you lol/

USMC-Retired
i am confused why they net work hes not fast compare too other country
Money.... It cost lots of money to upgrade the towers. Additionally when is the right time to upgrade. Should they drop the money for 3G when 4G is on the verge of being the industry standard. When is the right time. Money is tight with the communication industry here and would be tighter if the restrictions against outside sourcing were lifted.

It will depend on where you are in Cebu. I'm living about a km outside of where I could be using a real Globe broadband line, so have been limited to using these sticks.

My opinion of Tattoo living in Argao: Complete and utter shit. Unreliable, more often than not I can't even open google, or have to wait several minutes. Seems to get worse late at night, when you would expect internet to improve. I could go on, but I'll just get angry. Just frustrating for me after having globe broadband in Talisay for about 4 years, which was overall very good and fast.

I've heard it isn't too bad if you live near Cebu City, but out this far you will regret it. I have to go to the internet cafe to download anything. Can't wait to move later this year..

Isn't there a Globe tower in the middle of town? My experience with Tattoo in Argao was great, I was getting just under 2 Mb/s using speedtest.net. I was amazed it was so good compared to SmartBro. I stopped using it because I have Globe DSL.

If your cellphone can be used as a modem you can use this

http://info.smart.com.ph/internet/mobile-internet/unli-surf/

I brought an unlocked huawei E1752 HSPA USB stick nhere , loaded the normal SMART sim with unli (se above url) while sim in the phone

then moved the sim to the USB stick, worked fine, I used that before my WIMAX was installed

USMC-Retired

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/4473162/Brandnew+Huawei+B200W+%28Wi-Fi%29%2C+B200+and+B933+UNLOCKED%21?referralKeywords=internet+dongle

You can always do something like that with a directional antenna and then you can get a better signal.

If you need help setting up let me know it is easy.

Isn't there a Globe tower in the middle of town? My experience with Tattoo in Argao was great, I was getting just under 2 Mb/s using speedtest.net. I was amazed it was so good compared to SmartBro. I stopped using it because I have Globe DSL.

If there is, it isn't pointing in this direction a couple of km outside of town. Speed is there at times, I've had up to sustained 260 kb/sec at 5am, but the majority of the time it is atrocious even with a regular 3G connection. Never a constant connection, always stop>start>stop. I am pre-paid though, I don't know if post-paid would make a difference. I know it would be potentially faster, but more reliable?

Can't wait to move so we can play some online games together.