.ph webhosting

I want to register a .ph domain name and Godaddy doesn't offer .ph. A local registry company wants to do registration for $70 a year...that seems like robbery. Another wanted 48 but i am not sure about reliability and reputation of the company. (does it matter) . Can anyone suggest a good registration option. Also should I find a local PH company to do the webhosting or use someone like hostgator.com which I have good experience with in the past.

Thanks for any advice and input.

For Real

Using a local host should be the last resort. There is only 2 cables coming into the RP - the web will be too slow for the rest of the world.

If your business is all Phil's based you could try it out and be ready to walk away (at a loss) if it doesn't meet your needs.

If you already owned the domain would the likes of DreamHost take you on?

I found the advertised price/service of 2 local hosts was actually 1/3 of the actual price - you need to talk to them before signing up.

Thanks .. I just found out that my existing Hostgator account will allow me to add unlimited Domains. Now I am still looking for good registration options. 70/per year is crazeee.

TheMatrix

Obtaining a .PH domain name at about $60/year is reasonable. That's the going rate. I have used 101domain.com

I recommend a local Philippines host if you're doing local business in the Philippines. I suspect that is the case since you are seeking a .ph domain. You don't want a U.S. based host if your customers are mostly located in the Philippines. If you are doing international business, then a .com domain and hostgator hosting should be sufficient, however...

I've had some troubles lately with Hostgator overloading their servers. I'm thinking about leaving them. I also have servers with 1&1 (very good service), and Amazon, also excellent. I like Amazon because they have redundant servers around the world and whichever IP address closest will serve that customer. For example, if you ping my website from the Philippines, it's serve from the Singapore. If you ping my site from Texas, it's served from Kansas City.