Bus drivers from hell!

musicman666

why do you think the movie "SPEED" all about a bus that couldnt stop no matter what! did so badly over here .... to the locals it may as well of been another boring documentary!!

• Like 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• driftR

• tokyoman

• Headshot

• jme

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[. I have a bike helmet that I take everywhere I go, if I ride in a bus in the future I will wear it and I'm sure it will raise a few laughs from the locals       Well if it a big yellow bus and

why do you think the movie "SPEED" all about a bus that couldnt stop no matter what! did so badly over here .... to the locals it may as well of been another boring documentary!!

Perhaps your drivers are paid differently. Ours are paid by the trip, therefore, the more trips they can pack into a day the more they make. At whatever cost.

Posted Images

lazydays

Maybe we just have better bus drivers in Mindanao, i can't say i've ever been scared on a bus.

Mostly, for distances we use the Business class buses, a bit like the Greyhound, always newish, very comfortable, aircon etc and driven at a steady pace. You often see passengers working on their laptops.

The local cheapo buses in the provinces are bearable for short journeys, but stuffy/hot and packed solid. On ocassions they will also carry tied up pigs, chickens in sacks, sacks of rice and even tubs of fish. :)

1st pic is a local province bus.

2nd pic Business class, long distance.

3rd pic Ordinary long distance bus.

post-6307-0-86746500-1329561222_thumb.jpg

post-6307-0-58618100-1329561258_thumb.jpg

post-6307-0-63737100-1329561451_thumb.jpg

Edited by lazydays
SkyMan

Maybe we just have better bus drivers in Mindanao, i can't say i've ever been scared on a bus.

Mostly, for distances we use the Business class buses, a bit like the Greyhound, always newish, very comfortable, aircon etc and driven at a steady pace. You often see passengers working on their laptops.

The local cheapo buses in the provinces are bearable for short journeys, but stuffy/hot and packed solid. On ocassions they will also carry tied up pigs, chickens in sacks, sacks of rice and even tubs of fish. :)

1st pic is a local province bus.

2nd pic Business class, long distance.

3rd pic Ordinary long distance bus.

Perhaps your drivers are paid differently. Ours are paid by the trip, therefore, the more trips they can pack into a day the more they make. At whatever cost.
  • Like 2

I take the Victory Liner buses quite a lot, it's not a problem except they refuse to hire anyone to drive unless they have a spastic right leg. The guys I've ridden with didn't have any concept of easing into the throttle or easing out of it, it was like the throttle was an on/off switch to them. Bus a little fast? foot off the throttle. Bus a little slow? WFO guys. Over and over and over. It has to be really hard on the equipment.

The most amusing and punishing was a trip from Baguio to Manila where the driver didn't even understand the rudiments of matching revs, or even letting off the throttle a little, on upshifts. He would run it up through 1st, then clutch in, motor revving mercilessly, grrrrrrunk into 2nd, slam the clutch out and repeat. After a while I was just amused by the whole thing.

I believe the v-hire are every bit as bad as those small suicide buses. Ceres seem to be the safest, maybe because they are bigger. I wonder what the criteria is to be hired as a driver?

Ceres bus drivers are as bigger lunatics as any other bus company drivers. Its a near death experience everytime u hop on a bus.

Cheers

Mark

shadow

Ceres bus drivers are as bigger lunatics as any other bus company drivers. Its a near death experience everytime u hop on a bus.

Cheers

Mark

We ride the Ceres AC often from Santander/Cebu. Pretty mild ride most of the time.

Larry in Dumaguete

cebubird

while we have been run off the road several times by ceres drivers passing when they shouldn't(like all filipino drivers), my scariest ride was being on a ceres ordinary at night. We had come back from Manila and actually caught the last bus of the night going south. We were sitting right behind the driver and I couldn't believe he kept turning off his lights while going like a fool, and rubbing his eyes and trying to stay awake at same time.

Our best experiences have been on the newest Sunray bus. When we were using the bus more, we got this drivers phone number so we would know his schedule and try and ride with him. Only sensible driver I have seen since being here.

Ceres have inspectors, they are checked and over the last few years have improved a lot. The real mad-men are the Carcar based mini-buses. I regularly see one of them chugging a red horse grande for breakfast at the Petron station in Carcar. Everyone who lives here knows not to mess with the bus drivers here in Carcar as they are a bunch of scary lunatics. I use the bus, but only a Ceres.

ellenbrook2001

15 YEARS AGO WAS ON A BUS NEAR BAGUIO THE BUS HAS BEEN GOING MOST OF THE NIGTH CRAZY NEAR CRASHING ANYWHERE EARLY MORNING BEFORE ARRIVING IN BANGUED ABRA WAS VERY STEEP THEN THE MOTOR WAS ON THE BACK OF THE BUS THEN ALL WAS START SMOKING VERY BADLY THEN THE BREAK VERY HOT WAS RABBIT BUS,SO AFTER FEWS MINUTES WAS SO SMOKEY I SAY DRIVER IF YOU DO NOT STOP I CRASH YOUR FACE,SO HE DID STOP EVERYONE TOOK THEY BELONGING SO WE WAIT ABOUT 30 MINUTES WAS NO MUCH OIL LEFT IN THE MOTOR THE BRAKE FUMING AHAHAHAH SO FUNNY .BUT THE SOON WE GO AGAIN THE GUY WENT CRAZY SO FAST I REALY BELEIVED WE WHERE GOING TOO CRASH SURE THE GUY WAS ON DRUG,EVERYONE WAS SCARE MY WIFE WAS CRYING GRRR SO I TOLD HIM PLEASE SLOWN DOWN ,NEVER SLOWN DOWN ANYWHERE WE ARRIVED AT LAST IN ONE PEACE ,THEN HES GF WAS WAITING FOR HIM OR HES MISTRESS? THAT WHY HE MAY GO SO FAST ANYWHERE I SAY TOO HIM CAN WE TALK SURE HE SAY THEN I DID SAY WHAT I THINK OF HIM THEN GIVE A BIG PUNCH IN THE FACE THEN ANOTHER ON HES BALL THE MANAGER COME OVER THEN EXPLAIN ALL, OH HE SAY ,THEY KNOW ME VERY WELL THERE I KNEW THE MAYOR,THE POLICE ECT SO NO DRAMA AT ALL I HOPE THE DRIVER WILL REMENBER ME ,IF WE DIDNT STOP I AM SURE THE BUS WILL BE ON FIRE. AND MAYBE ALL DEAD,SURE SOME CRAZY DRIVER SAME BETWEEN CALAPE AND TAGBILARAN THEY CRAZY????

• Like 1

while we have been run off the road several times by ceres drivers passing when they shouldn't(like all filipino drivers), my scariest ride was being on a ceres ordinary at night. We had come back from Manila and actually caught the last bus of the night going south. We were sitting right behind the driver and I couldn't believe he kept turning off his lights while going like a fool, and rubbing his eyes and trying to stay awake at same time.

Our best experiences have been on the newest Sunray bus. When we were using the bus more, we got this drivers phone number so we would know his schedule and try and ride with him. Only sensible driver I have seen since being here.

My one and only bus trip in PI (hopefully last) I made the mistake of sitting behind the driver. Its like sitting in the front seat of a roller coaster. Just as well I was wearing my brown cords!

If you must take a bus, sit in the back seats. Its far better not to know the close misses.

• Like 1

Hi all

can anyone explain why the bus drivers who operate between Cebu City and Car car drive like bats out of hell (non air con bus)? I took a bus at about 23.00 on a weekday from Cebu City to Carcar 2 weeks ago, it takes a lot to rattle me but I was convinced I would meet my maker as the driver attempted to break the sound barrier.......the risks he took were ridiculous I didn't know a bus could drive that fast.....all to save a buck?

Looking at the locals I could see that they didn't seem overly nervous....in fact one lady in a nurses uniform on her way home gently patted my hand and asked me "First time on the bus?" Yikes was I that obvious? Time to man up haha.... I asked her if the driver was in fact crazy which got half the bus laughing....guess I need to be a bit more thick skinned? So from that point in the journey each time we all got thrown around on a corner, as the wheels screeched, they would all look at me and smile......ahh fame at last.......

My lovely fiancee slept soundly on my shoulder when all of this was going on and seemed mildly amused when we finally arrived at Carcar and I expressed my joy at still being alive!

Will be renting a car next time as I did for the first 2 weeks of that trip....no more buses for me.....

the blare of the bus horn what i often hear behind me while rolling down the carcar route while riding my scooter tells me one thing

move to the side let him bye or simply die

• Like 1

I think we all agree they are crazy maniacs at night out in the provinces, it doesn't matter what company either...

A_Simple_Man
I think we all agree they are crazy maniacs

I think that only the ones who agree would post in this thread or they would get flamed by all the guys who are sure they could do a better job themselves. So no, we don't all agree. There are bad bus drivers and good and anywhere in between. And there are idiots who will ride all the way to the end of the guys route and then punch the driver. But if it makes you feel good to believe everyone agrees then go for it.

But if it makes you feel good to believe everyone agrees then go for it.

hhmm, I'm not sure what your problem is but I know I have to make sure I keep my blood pressure down in the Philippines when I get there as I lknow some people get worked up easy living there with all the roosters, buses, Kereoke and all the other noises.... :D

A_Simple_Man
hhmm, I'm not sure what your problem is

I don't feel as though its a problem. Its a valid issue when a member posts:

I think we all agree

I feel like words have been put in my mouth and that you are trying to speak for me and all the other members who may have been biting their tongue while the ones who do have a problem, (with the busses or whatever), are venting here.

There, that was my 'vent'. Not meant at you personally. Lots of people post similar, all encompassing statements. This time I had my say.

• Like 1