Bus drivers from hell!

Hi all

can anyone explain why the bus drivers who operate between Cebu City and Car car drive like bats out of hell (non air con bus)? I took a bus at about 23.00 on a weekday from Cebu City to Carcar 2 weeks ago, it takes a lot to rattle me but I was convinced I would meet my maker as the driver attempted to break the sound barrier.......the risks he took were ridiculous I didn't know a bus could drive that fast.....all to save a buck?

Looking at the locals I could see that they didn't seem overly nervous....in fact one lady in a nurses uniform on her way home gently patted my hand and asked me "First time on the bus?" Yikes was I that obvious? Time to man up haha.... I asked her if the driver was in fact crazy which got half the bus laughing....guess I need to be a bit more thick skinned? So from that point in the journey each time we all got thrown around on a corner, as the wheels screeched, they would all look at me and smile......ahh fame at last.......

My lovely fiancee slept soundly on my shoulder when all of this was going on and seemed mildly amused when we finally arrived at Carcar and I expressed my joy at still being alive!

Will be renting a car next time as I did for the first 2 weeks of that trip....no more buses for me.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• driftR

• tokyoman

• Headshot

• jme

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[. I have a bike helmet that I take everywhere I go, if I ride in a bus in the future I will wear it and I'm sure it will raise a few laughs from the locals       Well if it a big yellow bus and

why do you think the movie "SPEED" all about a bus that couldnt stop no matter what! did so badly over here .... to the locals it may as well of been another boring documentary!!

Perhaps your drivers are paid differently. Ours are paid by the trip, therefore, the more trips they can pack into a day the more they make. At whatever cost.

Posted Images

SkyMan

When the locals are screaming, that's when it gets exciting.

Yeah I totally agree, have been on buses around the island and yes there are many crazy drivers there. At night it is much worse, you can only hear how fast it is as it's too dark to see outside but that's probably a good thing. I should stick to vhires in the future if possible, this is a good wake up post, cheers!

Edited by jme
Headshot

No matter how unsafe you feel when riding on one of the buses on Cebu, you are still a lot safer than the motorcycle riders that share the highways with those buses. Face it, if you are on the highway on a motorcycle and there is a bus coming from the other direction, what chance do you think you will have when the bus suddenly veers into your lane to pass another vehicle. Or if you are riding along and a bus decides to pass a vehicle behind you...but doesn't quite have enough time to get around your motorcycle before a truck coming the other direction gets there...so the bus driver simply pushes you off the road...what do you think your odds for survival are? Bus/motorcycle accidents are so frequent here that they are not even considered newsworthy, but they are almost always fatal for the rider. I have witnessed a few fatal bus/motorcycle accidents that never even made the back page in the newspapers here. The riders and their motorcycles simply became hood ornaments for the buses.

Ha ha wait till you to you go past Carcar. I took bus to Bandian and then had to come back at night. They dont have as much to slow them down at night. Scared the shxt out of me. That was my first and last bus trip. Hopfully will never have to get on bus again. My brother says he has seen one on two wheels going around a corner.

shadow
The riders and their motorcycles simply became hood ornaments for the buses.

And if you're not dead after being a hood ornament, they will run over you again just to finish the job!

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1
smokey

Yeah I totally agree, have been on buses around the island and yes there are many crazy drivers there. At night it is much worse, you can only hear how fast it is as it's too dark to see outside but that's probably a good thing. I should stick to vhires in the future if possible, this is a good wake up post, cheers!

and how does it work when a bus hits a v hire ... the drivers NEED to be paid for driving and not giving a bonus for driving faster.. in Manila they had a ramdom drug test and said 30% of the bus and jeep drivers tested postive for drugs.. now as they knew the test was coming i am sure the true number would of been 50% ... even 30% is like 30% too high....

and how does it work when a bus hits a v hire ... the drivers NEED to be paid for driving and not giving a bonus for driving faster.. in Manila they had a ramdom drug test and said 30% of the bus and jeep drivers tested postive for drugs.. now as they knew the test was coming i am sure the true number would of been 50% ... even 30% is like 30% too high....

I never feel safe in any vehicle that I'm not driving myself whether it is a bus, vhire, motorcycle or car. All you can do is limit your chances of becoming a victim. In a bus you have no protection from a crash with open seats, no seat belts (not that anyone wears them there anyway in other vehicles), there is no padding or protection from the seats in front of you as the only thing you have in front of you is peoples heads or the steel bars from the bus but I would imagine in most cases you will just go flying over the seat as would 50 odd other passengers on impact. At least in a Vhire it is more compact so less chance of flying into steel bars etc and they have the normal padding etc around seats along with seat belts in some cases. Yes a motorbike is obviously the most vulnerable to serious injury or death. I have a bike helmet that I take everywhere I go, if I ride in a bus in the future I will wear it and I'm sure it will raise a few laughs from the locals :yahoo:

smokey

[. I have a bike helmet that I take everywhere I go, if I ride in a bus in the future I will wear it and I'm sure it will raise a few laughs from the locals :)

Well if it a big yellow bus and everyone else is wearing a helmet then it will be a special bus

• Like 2

Drivers are not paid safety bonuses.. Only Speed bonuses. I once spoke up in VHIRE for the driver to stop driving like crazy... and much to my surprise several locals then backed me up and the driver DID slack up. I feel more claustrophobic on a Vhire than on Bus and have on occasion bought an extra seat so there would only be 4 people on the row not 5. Next time if I must I will buy 2 additional seats.

I used the bus here twice - no more. Locals have no feeling for safety, over the past few years, accidents have increased at a a staggering rate, mostly motor cycle drivers. I still ride on my bikes but always ready to hit the dirt or the side path.

Headshot

Well if it a big yellow bus and everyone else is wearing a helmet then it will be a special bus

The "special" buses are the short buses...not the big ones. :paul:

JSL-USMC

I believe the v-hire are every bit as bad as those small suicide buses. Ceres seem to be the safest, maybe because they are bigger. I wonder what the criteria is to be hired as a driver?

On one of those fast and reckless vhire rides a no nonsense foreigner passenger tapped the driver on the shoulder and told him, "If we get in an accident you better hope you die, cuz if not all the passengers and myself will probably kill you." I was shocked when he said that but the driver slowed down to a normal speed and was more careful. All the other passengers gave a light applause and smiles. Some passengers even thanked him as they departed the van at there stop.