Receipts....Yes/No?

SkyMan

Often when I buy something at a smaller place I'm asked if I want a receipt. Usually I'm just in a hurry to get my change and get moving and I don't have need of yet another worthless piece paper to handle. But in reality I know that what the person is really asking is can I put your 12% VAT in my pocket or worse, they are using me to doubly rip off their boss by giving me merchandise, taking the money I paid them and not reporting it. Even parking lot attendants can pocket the p15 or whatever by not giving the receipt.

So what about you? Do you make sure you get a receipt or just not worry about it?

Headshot

Often when I buy something at a smaller place I'm asked if I want a receipt. Usually I'm just in a hurry to get my change and get moving and I don't have need of yet another worthless piece paper to handle. But in reality I know that what the person is really asking is can I put your 12% VAT in my pocket or worse, they are using me to doubly rip off their boss by giving me merchandise, taking the money I paid them and not reporting it. Even parking lot attendants can pocket the p15 or whatever by not giving the receipt.

So what about you? Do you make sure you get a receipt or just not worry about it?

If you are talking about parking lot attendants in the major malls, then you should look more carefully at the ticket you get when you enter. It has your license number on it. When you check out, two things happen. First, the ticket must be entered to balance the till...and second, there is a security guard that you pass someplace during your exit who writes license numbers down. If the till doesn't balance with the number of cars that enter...and the guard's tally, then the cashier will be kicking rocks down the road. So...at least in the parking at the major malls, you can feel comfortable with passing on the receipt. She still has to print a receipt, but it goes in their trash instead of yours.

When you buy something, or get a service, it is a totally different ballgame. Indeed, they are trying to cut out the BIR. It isn't necessarily the cashier doing that, but may be their unwritten policy. In smaller places, the cashier may very well be a family member, so whatever extra revenue they generate benefits the family. The smaller the place, the less likely it is that you will get an official receipt. I have NEVER received a receipt at a sari-sari store or similar. It just doesn't happen. I would estimate that about half of the commerce in this country is flying undetected under the BIR radar. I don't know how the BIR could possibly police it with all of the neighborhood businesses around.

SkyMan
I have NEVER received a receipt at a sari-sari store or similar. It just doesn't happen. I would estimate that about half of the commerce in this country is flying undetected under the BIR radar. I don't know how the BIR could possibly police it with all of the neighborhood businesses around.
Quite true but then sari saris are not really retail, they're retail plus. The BIR already got their cut when the goods were purchased at Fooda or wherever. I think of a sari sari like a local kid or family member you send to the big store to buy this or that and you give him a couple pesos for their trouble. The only difference is that the few things are purchased in advance instead of after the need arises.

Now if a sari sari started buying wholesale, the BIR would have a problem.

Edited by SkyMan

Quite true but then sari saris are not really retail, they're retail plus. The BIR already got their cut when the goods were purchased at Fooda or wherever. I think of a sari sari like a local kid or family member you send to the big store to buy this or that and you give him a couple pesos for their trouble. The only difference is that the few things are purchased in advance instead of after the need arises.

What is the difference? The wholesale company still have to add 12% VAT, and send difference of incomming and outgoing VAT to BIR

shadow

What is the difference? The wholesale company still have to add 12% VAT, and send difference of incomming and outgoing VAT to BIR

Nope, VAT is supposed to be tacked onto retail goods only.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow

....... I know that what the person is really asking is can I put your 12% VAT in my pocket ...

Perhaps.

Or perhaps they are trying to save themselves the effort of writing out a piece of paper that you are then going to throw away.

They might even be thinking of the ecology and all that wasted paper, plus the litter problem when you dont dispose of it properly.

The assumption (implied) by your statement may or may not be true.

Larry in Dumaguete

Then it would be a sales tax and not VAT (value added tax)

BIR VALUE ADDED TAX:

http://www.bir.gov.p...nfo/tax_vat.htm

Edited by Woolf
shadow

Larry in Dumaguete

Then it would be a sales tax and not VAT (value added tax)

BIR VALUE ADDED TAX:

http://www.bir.gov.p...nfo/tax_vat.htm

From the link you posted;

Value-Added Tax is a form of sales tax. It is a tax on consumption levied on the sale, barter, exchange or lease of goods or properties and services in the Philippines and on importation of goods into the Philippines. It is an indirect tax, which may be shifted or passed on to the buyer, transferee or lessee of goods, properties or services.

From reading through this page, as with many things in Philippine law, it is very convoluted. You may be right. No wonder everything is so expensive, if every distributor pays 12% along the way, and then the final end consumer does too, the total tax paid could easily equal one half the retail price.

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

I believe that most sari-sari stores buy their bulk products (rice, corn, beans, etc.) wholesale. It's just all of the shit in little packets, bags and cans that they buy at the supermarket.

From the link you posted;

Value-Added Tax is a form of sales tax. It is a tax on consumption levied on the sale, barter, exchange or lease of goods or properties and services in the Philippines and on importation of goods into the Philippines. It is an indirect tax, which may be shifted or passed on to the buyer, transferee or lessee of goods, properties or services.

From reading through this page, as with many things in Philippine law, it is very convoluted. You may be right. No wonder everything is so expensive, if every distributor pays 12% along the way, and then the final end consumer does too, the total tax paid could easily equal one half the retail price.

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry in Dumaguete

someone buys some wood pays 12 % VAT on that, now he makes a bed from the wood (added some value to the wood), now he sells the bed with a profit, he has to collect 12% VAT of the sales price. He now deduct the VAT he paid when buying the wood from the VAT he collected selling the bed and sends the difference to BIR. that will as end result be 12% VAT on the value he added

junglelove38

In a year and a half here, I've never been asked if I want a receipt or not. Sometimes you need one to get out the door, but I don't really care if they are pocketing the VAT or stealing from their employer. I'm just happy if I'm not the one getting cheated! :rolleyes:

SkyMan
They might even be thinking of the ecology and all that wasted paper, plus the litter problem when you dont dispose of it properly.
Sarcasm noted.
but I don't really care if they are pocketing the VAT or stealing from their employer. I'm just happy if I'm not the one getting cheated!
Fine until the gov't decides it needs more VAT because 12% isn't enough (due partly to people not paying or collecting it) so now it goes to 14%. Sure, the gov't can decide that anyway but if I'm paying pesos to a VAT, I really would prefer it does go to the gov't. Certainly doesn't help me if it goes in someone's pocket. Perhaps if at least a small percentage of people made sure the money they paid to VAT actually went there there might be a few less potholes.
junglelove38

Fine until the gov't decides it needs more VAT because 12% isn't enough (due partly to people not paying or collecting it) so now it goes to 14%. Sure, the gov't can decide that anyway but if I'm paying pesos to a VAT, I really would prefer it does go to the gov't. Certainly doesn't help me if it goes in someone's pocket. Perhaps if at least a small percentage of people made sure the money they paid to VAT actually went there there might be a few less potholes.

OK, I will demand an official receipt next time I buy chicken, rice and veggies down at the market or when I chug a few Grandes down at the KTV bar. lol. I get the principles and reasoning, but its naive to think that any record keeping or tax collection here is legitimate or even remotely honest. How will demanding a receipt translate into them paying their VAT? They won't understand why you want one and it will just make you and all of us look like jerks.

I get receipts as much as possible as I like to enter all the data in my finance software when get home later or my girlfriend will. Receipts help me remember plus I should keep some for tax purposes. So yes if I'm asked so I want a receipt the answer will usually be yes.