Question Concerning United States Television with ATSC Tuner

Greetings all,

Will my United States television that has an ATSC Tuner pick up television stations in Cebu? I don't believe that it also has a NTSC tuner. Since it is new and in the United States all or most of the off-air programming is now digital so many televisions no longer have NTSC (analog) off-air tuners in them.

Greetings all,

Will my United States television that has an ATSC Tuner pick up television stations in Cebu? I don't believe that it also has a NTSC tuner. Since it is new and in the United States all or most of the off-air programming is now digital so many televisions no longer have NTSC (analog) off-air tuners in them.

No, for 2 reasons. Firstly I don't believe any current broadcaster with the Cebu area (or for the entire Philippines for that matter) are broadcasting in digital yet. And even if I'm wrong about that, and there are digital broadcasters, they won't be broadcasting in ATSC. The government decided to go with the Japanese standard ISDB-T, despite the fact that they use the American NTSC for their analog broadcasts. You could try looking for an NTSC to ATSC converter if such a beast exists.

USMC-Retired

Over the Air,,,,, No. However will it work. Yes because Cable and Satellite all have composite connections. Some have HDMI or D3 type connectors.

Thanks...got me on the right track. I guess ISDB-T is the path they chose. Causes one to think hard before shipping a new US television to the Phiippines for family members who have no satellite or cable reception. I imagine there are ISDB-T to ATSC converter boxes out there, or will be once teresteral digital TV takes off in the Philippines. This web site has some great information on the ISDB-T system selected by the Philippines, as well as some timelines...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_in_the_Philippines