Sign in to follow this  
donroberts

Boating in Cebu-

donroberts

Hi to all the boaters & people who are thinking about boating-

I'm back in USA now after 6 moths in & around Cebu. I'll try to give an update on my boating activities in the Cebu area. I'm still working on my sailboat- (90+% complete now I'd say). Because of upcoming storm season (June to October) I decided not to put it back in the water- It's a sailboat with outriggers & has a small keel- The keel prevents it from being pulled up on the beach. I hope to get it back in the water next October when I (hopefully) return to Cebu for the winter. The biggest item still needed is a transmission oil cooler. I'm also rounding up instruments - Depth sounder, GPS, Chartplotter, engine monitoring, etc. And I'm fixing the rear cabin up to make it more comfortable.

Since it will be a while before I use that boat, I bought another boat- A philippine-style banca needing some work. We have replaced the outriggers, done some work on the engines & we are repairing the worst problems of the hull. It's approximately 60 foot long, with twin diesel engines. I hope to be using it by August, to go back & forth to Camotes from Cebu- (By the way, I dont consider most of the locally made bancas to be truly seaworthy -i.e., they are not "Bluewater boats"-)

I've learned a bit more about boating than I'd care to, but I'd be happy to share what I know, & maybe save others from making the same mistakes I made.

The Philippines has to be one of the great boating destinations in the world. It's a different country from the sea- warm water, frequently calm & sheltered, warm air with cooling sea-breezes, hundreds of underdeveloped islands & beaches, etc-

looking forward to sharing info with other interested boaters & wannabe boaters-

Regards, Don

Baldy

Hello donroberts,

I am looking for a boat in Cebu // building or buying.

Strange thing thou...I live in Norway and are used to go boating, fishing... but in some reason the boating community in Cebu seems very small?

I have been to Cebu on one month holidays every year the last 5 years. (I'm married to a Cebuano from San Remegio.)

Here we use what Americans call powerboats, usually a motorboat within 20 - 30 feet, this boats have normally a living cabin in the front and they are motorized to do from 8 - 45 nm/h deppending the hull and engine. The enigine are normally a inboard diesel, Volvo's, Yanmar's a.s.o

Older models might have Farrymans, BMC's and smaller diesel engines.

I have been searching the net for quit some time now for a boat like that in Cebu and they just seems to not be there at all.

I couldn't think for a better place than Cebu to do boating, but a boat suitable for the "norwegian way of boating" is not to be found. I find that very strange.

All i can find are bankas, catamarans and the fishingboats. I.e;

http://www.cebuclassifieds.com/detail.php?id=944 // which I am not looking for.

To give an idea of what kind of boat I am lookin for;

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...s=5&tot=397

This boat are priced to approx 400kPHP with a yanmar 22 hp diesel doing 8 nm/h.

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...s=1&tot=204

This boat are priced to approx 800kPHP with a 130 hp OMC doing 30 nm/h.

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...=24&tot=204

Bayliner with Volvo Penta 225 hp doing some 40 nm/h, price approx 800kPHP

Have I been missing something since ther are so few boats like this in Cebu?

Bob Ward

I was interested in a smaller power boat as well. But I have seen no boats anywhere like what we are used to. Too expensive for the local economy. Plus I would not want to be anywhere near the water if filipino boaters could go 40 knts +. LOL

freshalaska

Hi Don and all the other boaters,

Don sounds like you are real busy as always and starting a fleet of boats. How's progress on your Camotes place? Wife and I are back in Alaska working and saving to return to RP the middle of November. Must say we are as always looking forward to another winter boating around. Figure we probably have close to four weeks of work to do on the boat getting her in ship shape before we start traveling around the Islands. Had the engine completely overhauled earlier this year.

Next week Joy and I will go salmon fishing with a dipnet on the Copper River. It's what is called a personal use fisheries and we are allowed 40 salmon (reds) per house hold per year. Last year I hit it just right a caught 30 salmon in about two hours. In August we go caribou hunting. Well hope we don't get caught in another typhoon like last winter. Take care all, Mark and Joy

donroberts

Well, I'm back here in Cebu, for a few months- I hope my boat will be in the water in November- I still need a transmission oil cooler & some othe r stuff- Progress is good on my Building projects in Camotes- Friends & boaters feel free to contact me, for swapping yarns & inf, maybe some good old pirate fun!

Paul

Heyyyy Uncle Don! How are ya man? Long time .. TOOO long, since we have hooked up. PM me so we can hook up!

I want to see what kinda progress you are makin' on your boat, and to catch up on things.

indiana
:( wish i was there, sold my boat in camotes to an am. who plans on moveing to camotes .haveing mine taken care of with me being in u.s.a. was very hard.But the times we went out with jolly joy was the best.I maybe back in camotes in march hope to see all and cruse around camotes. have you been to the mc,arthur cave on poro watch your step.sometimes when you step back to look up theres no place to put your foot.what fun that was. see you guys soon. donroberts , paul,

donroberts

We got the boat in the water Sunday November 25th, short sea trials, loaded up & off to Camotes Thursday November 29th. We were running 10.5 knots in calm seas- throttle not wide open- distance approx 32 US miles Maribago to San Isidro. Nice trip- beatiful day- propeller & rudder fouled in debris runoff from tropical storm. Made it to Camotes, though. Everything went south after then- Solar charge controller, batteries & starter motor- Hope to get it together & go back to Cebu next week.

The sailing rig is not sorted out yet- also need tenders at both ends of the trip, to load people & goods-& I'm looking for some sort of auxilliary power.

In spite of the kind of minor problems (I don't know if having your boat dead in the water is 'minor'), having a boat at your disposal is a fine way to travel in these beautiful islands.

I'm gathering my fishing gear together, as a dead boat's a good place to sit & fish-

PS- Regards & Hi to all.

PPS to Indiana Joe- feel free to give my cellphone #/email to the buyer of "Jolly Joy" & I would be glad to share what I've learned about fixing a boat here- looking forward to seeing everyone.

Bob Ward

Just keep in mind that I am experienced in seamanship, cooking, fishing, diving, electronics, engines and beer drinking if you need cheap help!

Paul

Bob, you're hired. When can you start? :):D

Hey Uncle Don! I'm glad you are okay and made it to shore to repair the problems.

I will contact you when I am heading back to Cebu so I can get all the details on your boating adventures! :)

donroberts

Bob, Please PIM me, & let's try 2 connect- boat maybe OK now.I'm headed 2 Camotes tonight; & I'll come back here in Cebu friday.Hope 2 cu , Paul, ASAP!Bob, Please PIM me, & let's try 2 connect- boat maybe OK now.I'm headed 2 Camotes tonight; & I'll come back here in Cebu friday.Hope 2 cu , Paul, ASAP!

T.S.

Does anybody know of a place to buy a high performance powerboat with a cabin? Something similar to this 38' Wellcraft Scarab pictured below. I haven't really seen much for boats of this type around the Philippines. Would I most likely need to bring one in from another country if I wanted to have one there?

scarabae2.jpg

Alan S

I have seen the occsional boat of that type advertised on http://www.sailing.org.ph/

Dont think it is all that suitable for much of the waters around the Philippines though.

Just my opinion.

T.S.
Dont think it is all that suitable for much of the waters around the Philippines though.

Just my opinion.

Why do you say that? They are all around the coast of Florida and the Caribbean.

Alan S

You have a lot of very shallow waters around the Philippines. One reason why the banca / catermaran style is popular.

I realise that the draught of that wouldnt be much, but it may limit where you can get to, and, IMHO, no matter where you sail / boat, the best places are often those that arent easy to reach.

Bob Ward

Been boating most of my life and I wouldn't want this type boat here. It would draw too much attention and have to be under lock and key all the time. The fun part of these boats is usually cruising the waterways repleat with beach bunnies on the bow. Then pulling into any number of marinas or water front restaraunts for food and drink. They are not very nimble in tight spaces as you well know. Maybe in Manila there might be dock space and some marinas to be able to get it in and out of the water. But if you got the money for these toys, then go fo it and enjoy.

donroberts

I just got back from Camotes- The problem with the boat was the starter- 3 hours door to door- (as compared to 7-8 hours via big pumpboat or fastcraft-because of travel time to Pier 1, etc.) Waves not too big- We hit 12 knots plus for awhile- The tachometer is not working so we are keeping the RPM's down. Also the propeller is from another engine-need to find another. I hope to go back to Camotes next week, for Christmas.

Bob, I'll try to text you tonight

Regards & happy sailing to all-

donroberts

Just got back from Xmas in Camotes with the family- Left Camotes 8AM, arrived in Mactan 3 hours later- running 9-10 knots; 31.3 knots total distance-

No major problems- baling a lot of water- bad propeller shaft seal- Minor cooling system leak, steering system total bust up; but we have a tiller for backup- Small stuff- what you expect in a 20 year old boat, or truck or whatever... Once it's all dialled in, It should be a little faster, & a fun, reliable ride. It needs a different propeller, I think, as I am using the propeller that came with the original motor in the boat, & the new motor is more powerful & has a higher idle RPM. We are not opening the throttle up all the way until we fix the other stuff.

The Sea was dead calm; we ran into a heavy rain downpour just off Mactan Island

I'm trying to get a small tender to take us & our stuff out to the boat- &/or a small outboard motor-

I'm working on a larger boat on Camotes- it pretty much needs everything, but it should carry more stuff & be faster if I ever finish it.

Regards to all & the Very Best of the season!!

I hope to head back to Camotes January 4, for a few days.

Now, like all good sailors I am off to hit the bars with my sweety in tow-- :P

donroberts

We're off for what will probably be our last boat trip to Camotes this (Wednesday) morning- This will make round trip # 5 with my boat.

Back to USA in 2 weeks- Time flies when your having fun!..... & even if you're not!

Thanks to everybody who's been in contact, & I apologize to all the people who posted who I didn't answer yet

I hope to "get round 2 it"

I hope to be back in Cebu for a few weeks in August-

Regards, & happy sailing to all :lol: :lol:

donroberts

Well I'm back for a month-can't stay long -too much to do in USA, altho I hope to get back for a few months in December-

The propellor & some other items were stolen off the boat while I was gone- possibly by the live-aboard guard.- So- have to get another one-

That's one of the problems about ownership of anything here.

So the boat's out of the water again for maintenance, & waiting for the end of the rainy season-

I hope to go to Camotes next week for a couple of weeks of swimming & relaxing- & see how my construction is going- My daughter is going to school there now=

Regards to all

Don-

PS- I hope to do a little bar-hopping before we go to Camotes if anyone would like to meet up-

Bob Ward
Well I'm back for a month-can't stay long -too much to do in USA, altho I hope to get back for a few months in December-

The propellor & some other items were stolen off the boat while I was gone- possibly by the live-aboard guard.- So- have to get another one-

That's one of the problems about ownership of anything here.

So the boat's out of the water again for maintenance, & waiting for the end of the rainy season-

I hope to go to Camotes next week for a couple of weeks of swimming & relaxing- & see how my construction is going- My daughter is going to school there now=

Regards to all

Don-

PS- I hope to do a little bar-hopping before we go to Camotes if anyone would like to meet up-

I'm in!!! Good to have you back!!!