Sign in to follow this  
donroberts

Boating in Cebu-

indiana

don great to hear from you i think if i am right you look across bay and you can see my big white roof .above san isidro. only got to use boat once when there last time.had it rebuilt and runs good problem is family does not like boats tired of takeing care of it. i still have 3 years till retirment.man i wish i was their now its 6 deg. and snowing !!! you have fun lndianajoe

Paul
Just checked out their site...I'm in Love. :crack-up:

Crew,

I taped some footage at the Boat Shop, somet time ago. Take a look at the boat that was being built at the time. It is linked on this page: http://www.livingincebu.com/videos.htm

donroberts
don great to hear from you i think if i am right you look across bay and you can see my big white roof .above san isidro. only got to use boat once when there last time.had it rebuilt and runs good problem is family does not like boats tired of takeing care of it. i still have 3 years till retirment.man i wish i was their now its 6 deg. and snowing !!! you have fun lndianajoe

great to hear your OK- Yes, I can see your roof from across the bay- I walked by your driveway once or twice.

When will you be back in the philippines?- I will be here until last part of April.

I am going to Camotes next week for a few days- to avoid all the bad traffic with the ASEAN summit.

The newer motor is in my boat now- still much work to be done- I'd love to see your boat sometime if anyone could show it to me-

PS- There's an internet cafe down by the pier in Poro now= run by an American guy from Virginia.

Regards- 'Don' R

crewsafe
Crew,

I taped some footage at the Boat Shop, somet time ago. Take a look at the boat that was being built at the time. It is linked on this page: http://www.livingincebu.com/videos.htm

Outstanding!

I have been looking for an "Affordable" boat-building plan since retiring 12 years ago. Having spent 20-years as a "Recon" Marine, I was obviously on/in the water enough to grow gills, so I'm looking to combine my diving with some serious inter-island sailing.

Still a few years away from realization (don't want to be a "Wannabe sh#t talker & tire kicker for now), but I'm hooked on the Cat as pictured below.

post-444-1165573548_thumb.jpg

Baldy

Is this thread still active??

As I love to get in conn with some boating people in Cebu.. :huh_01:

CaptainJackson
Is this thread still active??

As I love to get in conn with some boating people in Cebu.. :huh_01:

Welcome to the forum baldy, more members will be on a bit later. It is dinner time in Cebu.

Feel free to ask a new boating question (I noticed you asked about renting a boat) and before long someone will respond to it.

Again, welcome.

Baldy

Tnx!

Nice site you have here... :huh_01:

Its just a little weird I find it after searching the net for 7 years for seriouse Cebu websites...lol!

CaptainJackson
Tnx!

Nice site you have here... :lmao:

Its just a little weird I find it after searching the net for 7 years for seriouse Cebu websites...lol!

Glad you kept searching, because you now have found one of the best.

(No modesty here :huh_01: )

Seriously, the members here either live in / near Cebu, or have traveled there.

If you cannot find an answer to your question, and there are not a lot of members logged on at that time, try looking in the archives section.

Baldy

hehehe

For sure I admire you'r patience...rofl :huh_01:

"3 years????"

(excuse my english, I'm Norwegian)

Edited by Baldy

CaptainJackson
hehehe

For sure I admire you'r patience...rofl :huh_01:

"3 years????"

(excuse my english, I'm Norwegian)

Yep, I have to full-fill my present commitments and then it's off to Cebu.

donroberts

Hi to all the boaters & people who are thinking about boating-

I'm back in USA now after 6 moths in & around Cebu. I'll try to give an update on my boating activities in the Cebu area. I'm still working on my sailboat- (90+% complete now I'd say). Because of upcoming storm season (June to October) I decided not to put it back in the water- It's a sailboat with outriggers & has a small keel- The keel prevents it from being pulled up on the beach. I hope to get it back in the water next October when I (hopefully) return to Cebu for the winter. The biggest item still needed is a transmission oil cooler. I'm also rounding up instruments - Depth sounder, GPS, Chartplotter, engine monitoring, etc. And I'm fixing the rear cabin up to make it more comfortable.

Since it will be a while before I use that boat, I bought another boat- A philippine-style banca needing some work. We have replaced the outriggers, done some work on the engines & we are repairing the worst problems of the hull. It's approximately 60 foot long, with twin diesel engines. I hope to be using it by August, to go back & forth to Camotes from Cebu- (By the way, I dont consider most of the locally made bancas to be truly seaworthy -i.e., they are not "Bluewater boats"-)

I've learned a bit more about boating than I'd care to, but I'd be happy to share what I know, & maybe save others from making the same mistakes I made.

The Philippines has to be one of the great boating destinations in the world. It's a different country from the sea- warm water, frequently calm & sheltered, warm air with cooling sea-breezes, hundreds of underdeveloped islands & beaches, etc-

looking forward to sharing info with other interested boaters & wannabe boaters-

Regards, Don

Baldy

Hello donroberts,

I am looking for a boat in Cebu // building or buying.

Strange thing thou...I live in Norway and are used to go boating, fishing... but in some reason the boating community in Cebu seems very small?

I have been to Cebu on one month holidays every year the last 5 years. (I'm married to a Cebuano from San Remegio.)

Here we use what Americans call powerboats, usually a motorboat within 20 - 30 feet, this boats have normally a living cabin in the front and they are motorized to do from 8 - 45 nm/h deppending the hull and engine. The enigine are normally a inboard diesel, Volvo's, Yanmar's a.s.o

Older models might have Farrymans, BMC's and smaller diesel engines.

I have been searching the net for quit some time now for a boat like that in Cebu and they just seems to not be there at all.

I couldn't think for a better place than Cebu to do boating, but a boat suitable for the "norwegian way of boating" is not to be found. I find that very strange.

All i can find are bankas, catamarans and the fishingboats. I.e;

http://www.cebuclassifieds.com/detail.php?id=944 // which I am not looking for.

To give an idea of what kind of boat I am lookin for;

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...s=5&tot=397

This boat are priced to approx 400kPHP with a yanmar 22 hp diesel doing 8 nm/h.

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...s=1&tot=204

This boat are priced to approx 800kPHP with a 130 hp OMC doing 30 nm/h.

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...=24&tot=204

Bayliner with Volvo Penta 225 hp doing some 40 nm/h, price approx 800kPHP

Have I been missing something since ther are so few boats like this in Cebu?

Bob Ward

I was interested in a smaller power boat as well. But I have seen no boats anywhere like what we are used to. Too expensive for the local economy. Plus I would not want to be anywhere near the water if filipino boaters could go 40 knts +. LOL

freshalaska

Hi Don and all the other boaters,

Don sounds like you are real busy as always and starting a fleet of boats. How's progress on your Camotes place? Wife and I are back in Alaska working and saving to return to RP the middle of November. Must say we are as always looking forward to another winter boating around. Figure we probably have close to four weeks of work to do on the boat getting her in ship shape before we start traveling around the Islands. Had the engine completely overhauled earlier this year.

Next week Joy and I will go salmon fishing with a dipnet on the Copper River. It's what is called a personal use fisheries and we are allowed 40 salmon (reds) per house hold per year. Last year I hit it just right a caught 30 salmon in about two hours. In August we go caribou hunting. Well hope we don't get caught in another typhoon like last winter. Take care all, Mark and Joy

donroberts

Well, I'm back here in Cebu, for a few months- I hope my boat will be in the water in November- I still need a transmission oil cooler & some othe r stuff- Progress is good on my Building projects in Camotes- Friends & boaters feel free to contact me, for swapping yarns & inf, maybe some good old pirate fun!