Sign in to follow this  
OzGuy43

Travelling around phili on my Baby

OzGuy43

Dont forget that you must wait for the plates and number when you purchase a new motorcycle, it takes a month or two.

The temporary driving permit (under registration) is probably not valid all throughout the Philippines? (They told me that I could only drive in Cebu, not in Leyte) good tip mate thanks, looks like ill be im manila for a few months anyway before the tour so should be cool

I think a trail bike like a Honda XR 200 is the way to go in the Philippines. You will be able to see a lot more places along with the fun of riding muddy trails. It is a lot more versatile and easy to fix if something goes wrong and parts are readily available anywhere.

yeh really wanna travel on the super highways in phili jme so will need something with a few more cc,s

Palawan: House of Rose in Puerto Princesa is owned by a Kiwi from OZ (Andy) and his gf Rose. Nice place, inexpensive, 2 mins from the airport.

sounds exactly what i need ungaro thanks

HTM

yeh really wanna travel on the super highways in phili jme so will need something with a few more cc,s

Ducati 400 Monster or the new 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ;-)

jme

sounds exactly what i need ungaro thanks

really then I see, I have never seen them, just some main roads around Cebu but I guess there are a few in Luzon.

John B

Only the toll roads around manila and to baguio have a minimum (400cc) requirement. any size anywhere else.

Big bikes are a pain because of their size and weight. Not to mention outside of Manila/Angeles/ Cebu/Davau or Bacolod it is nearly imposssible to find a mechanic that has the knowledge and tools to work on them and parts are all sourced from Manila or ordered in from overseas.

If you buy a used bike it should only take a few days to complete the transfer of title. If you buy a new bike, buy from a company with their business main office where you buy the bike. They register new bikes at the LTO where the main office is usually. Insist they complete the registration in a week or less. It definetely can be done.

A new bike gets initial registration and basic insurance for a year as part of the purchase price.

If they say this cannot be done, find another store to buy from. Initial temporary registration is 7 days and non-extendable now. You will get a citation and the bike impounded if caught with expired registration. The temporary registration IS valid anywhere in the Philippines.

I recommend a Honda, Lifan, Kawasaki, Yamaha or suzuji. I think all have 200cc now. Very adequate for touring depending upon your physical size.

There is a minimum mandatory insurance requirement, about 300 pesos a year. If you buy a used bike any remaining time on the registration and insurance transfers to the new owner as well as the plates.. Additional coverage is available also for a fairly nominal cost. Like less than maybe 3 - 4,000 a year.

As to which style of bike to buy, the style YOU like to ride is the one you should buy. An off road or semi off-road is a little more suitable for general usage, but they are much less comfortable, especially on long rides. Personally I stop when the pavement ends so I ride a street style model.

If your foreign license is valid, you can drive on it for 90 days from your date of entry. If you are going to stay longer I strongly advise you to get a Philippine license. Only a day or 2 and about a 1,000 pesos, good for 2 years/ Make sure you get car and motorcycle endorsements marked on the license. If apprehended with out proper drivers license, registration and insurance the fines are getting heavier, policemen are less likely to accept anything under the table, the bike may very well be impounded and your insurance will not pay if you are involved in an accident.

Roro boats, drive on and drive off on a ramp go to almost every island. Not very expensive at all. You can drive from Manila, down Luzon, take a short roro trip to Samar, over the bridge (beautiful drive) to Leyte and then roro to Cebu Island or Bohol, then roro to cebu or mindanau. A great trip and you should take 4 or 5 days or more or several months. Many things and places to see.

Buy several maps of the Philippines. You can do a lot of pre coming here research on line as well as Google Earth.

Buy rain gear or best, bring good rain gear with you as what is available here is china junk mostly.

Edited by John B
  • Like 2

jusjoseph

John B. Great post.

samatm

I love it. what a great adventure. Are you and experienced biker? If not and even if you are make sure you have got great insurance including emergency medivac services. Also you might want to get your personal life all n order with no loose ends before you take off. ITs just smart, as riding here is a risky proposition have fun/

I am just jealous dude. Have a great and Safe trip ! Take lots of pics

Edited by samatm

JamesMusslewhite

Now that you have some search terms, have a look around the internet, there's heaps of stuff. Not to mention Google Earth which is a great resource too, with Wiki articles, photos and what-not. Seeing you're doing the rounds of Luzon, why not go down through the south-east arm through Albay province and have a look at that bloody big Mayon volcano with the perfect cone? Copy and paste these coordinates into G earth: 13°15'16.01"N 123°41'9.74"E

Continue down to Matnog for your first ferry ride to Allen town in Northern Samar. Where Samar meets Leyte there is a long bridge over the strait to Tacloban city. San Juanico bridge: 11°18'9.55"N 124°58'18.78"E

In Southern Leyte you cross another bridge to the port of Liloan where you get the ferry to Surigao City on Mindanao. That's a bloody long way from Northern Luzon with only 2 ferry rides. From Manila to Camiguin is around 1,300 K's. If the member James Musslewhite sees this he will be able to tell you about getting your bike on to Siargao island and others in the area around Surigao.

the pumpboats here all can easily accommodate motorcycles over to the smaller islands. The ride from North to South on Dinagat Island is nice. around 1,000p round-trip on the pumpboats. Never been to Siargao but have some friends that have carried their bikes over and cruised those island roads. The roads around Surigao City are nice to travel, and one can ride from Surigao City down to Davao with good roads the whole way. The roads are a little tore up because of ongoing repairs going to Butuan, but are nice for the most part. They are a lot safer than in Manila or Cebu due to less traffic. I enjoy biking over here just have to watch out for chickens, dogs, and kids; they are the biggest road hazards here on the big island of Mindanao. It is best to travel during the summer, as this area is extra wet during the rainy season. Surigao City is the "wettest city in the Philippines."

• Like 1

OzGuy43

Ducati 400 Monster or the new 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ;-)

thanks htm will check them out

Only the toll roads around manila and to baguio have a minimum (400cc) requirement. any size anywhere else.

Big bikes are a pain because of their size and weight. Not to mention outside of Manila/Angeles/ Cebu/Davau or Bacolod it is nearly imposssible to find a mechanic that has the knowledge and tools to work on them and parts are all sourced from Manila or ordered in from overseas.

If you buy a used bike it should only take a few days to complete the transfer of title. If you buy a new bike, buy from a company with their business main office where you buy the bike. They register new bikes at the LTO where the main office is usually. Insist they complete the registration in a week or less. It definetely can be done.

A new bike gets initial registration and basic insurance for a year as part of the purchase price.

If they say this cannot be done, find another store to buy from. Initial temporary registration is 7 days and non-extendable now. You will get a citation and the bike impounded if caught with expired registration. The temporary registration IS valid anywhere in the Philippines.

I recommend a Honda, Lifan, Kawasaki, Yamaha or suzuji. I think all have 200cc now. Very adequate for touring depending upon your physical size.

There is a minimum mandatory insurance requirement, about 300 pesos a year. If you buy a used bike any remaining time on the registration and insurance transfers to the new owner as well as the plates.. Additional coverage is available also for a fairly nominal cost. Like less than maybe 3 - 4,000 a year.

As to which style of bike to buy, the style YOU like to ride is the one you should buy. An off road or semi off-road is a little more suitable for general usage, but they are much less comfortable, especially on long rides. Personally I stop when the pavement ends so I ride a street style model.

If your foreign license is valid, you can drive on it for 90 days from your date of entry. If you are going to stay longer I strongly advise you to get a Philippine license. Only a day or 2 and about a 1,000 pesos, good for 2 years/ Make sure you get car and motorcycle endorsements marked on the license. If apprehended with out proper drivers license, registration and insurance the fines are getting heavier, policemen are less likely to accept anything under the table, the bike may very well be impounded and your insurance will not pay if you are involved in an accident.

Roro boats, drive on and drive off on a ramp go to almost every island. Not very expensive at all. You can drive from Manila, down Luzon, take a short roro trip to Samar, over the bridge (beautiful drive) to Leyte and then roro to Cebu Island or Bohol, then roro to cebu or mindanau. A great trip and you should take 4 or 5 days or more or several months. Many things and places to see.

Buy several maps of the Philippines. You can do a lot of pre coming here research on line as well as Google Earth.

Buy rain gear or best, bring good rain gear with you as what is available here is china junk mostly.

great post john so much good info, the only reason im thinking of getting a decent sized tourer is for the comfort its gonna provide on the long rides and also the luggage room its gonna provide, especially if i take my girl with me. i know its gonna be a hassle in the citys and less maintained roads but hopefully those long open roads will make up for that. im thinking a used bike maybe 1 to 2 years old in vgc will do me. im 6ft2 and 100 kegs my girl is 5ft5 and ummm 50 i guess so yeh we definately need something in the larger variety lol. im thinking the same as you john ill be taking day trips from the main citys and if the bitumen stops then its time to turn around and find another way. as for the licence ill organise that my first few days in manila, less hassle that way. the RORO sounds great will definately plan my trip around them, guess i or we more likely now will taking many months to complete this tour as dont really wanna worry about a timetable, just wanna be able to stop as we like, stay in the places we enjoy as long as we like and immerse ourselves in the filipino culture as much as we can. good point about the wet weather gear, would never have thought of purchasing it here but will definately do that now. i guess im gonna have to print out this entire thread to use it as i need and will definately find some detailed maps of phili before we leave. thanks once again john great post much appreciated.

I love it. what a great adventure. Are you and experienced biker? If not and even if you are make sure you have got great insurance including emergency medivac services. Also you might want to get your personal life all n order with no loose ends before you take off. ITs just smart, as riding here is a risky proposition have fun/

I am just jealous dude. Have a great and Safe trip ! Take lots of pics

gday samatm thanks mate i agree its gonna be the adventure of a lifetime, ive been pleasure riding since i was a kid, always loved it and its probably one of the most enjoyable things of my vacations in asia, fairly crazy there on the roads, especially in the citys but im usually pretty careful and have not come to any grief yet, although i know its gonna be a distinct possibilty when im touring for many months. yeh very good point mate about my personal stuff, will be cutting ties here, selling everything and taking the plunge but will definately make sure i have everything in order. ive always been hopeless at taking pics but my girl is an amateur photographer, loves it and will take thousands im guessing hahah take it easy mate and ill keep u all updated

the pumpboats here all can easily accommodate motorcycles over to the smaller islands. The ride from North to South on Dinagat Island is nice. around 1,000p round-trip on the pumpboats. Never been to Siargao but have some friends that have carried their bikes over and cruised those island roads. The roads around Surigao City are nice to travel, and one can ride from Surigao City down to Davao with good roads the whole way. The roads are a little tore up because of ongoing repairs going to Butuan, but are nice for the most part. They are a lot safer than in Manila or Cebu due to less traffic. I enjoy biking over here just have to watch out for chickens, dogs, and kids; they are the biggest road hazards here on the big island of Mindanao. It is best to travel during the summer, as this area is extra wet during the rainy season. Surigao City is the "wettest city in the Philippines."

yeh know what u mean james about the hazards on phili roads, expect the unexpected and break before u think about it lol not sure if ill go as far as butuan, been there before and guess ill tour a few hours south of davao, but more so up towards CDO. havnt really thought about the weather but guess i should take that into consideration when im going into detailed planning. its funny hey ive been in phili during most months of the year and its always seemed the same to me, wen it rains it just pours for an hour or so then all clear again but ill probably see the difference spending more than 3 or 4 weeks there.

Paul

Do understand now, no matter if you have a nice, expensive bike, or a piece of junk to ride, that Filipinos do not respect personal property. What I mean here is, wherever you park your bike, say during the day while stopped for lunch, you may very well come outside and see a Filipino sitting on your bike, or possibly having readjusted your mirrors to look at himself in them. This is something that is accepted in their culture.

I think a trail bike like a Honda XR 200 is the way to go in the Philippines. You will be able to see a lot more places along with the fun of riding muddy trails. It is a lot more versatile and easy to fix if something goes wrong and parts are readily available anywhere.

If you are young, and if you have a an ass of steel that can handle riding long hours without stopping, while sitting on a seat as hard as a southern live oak tree. Trust me, I speak from experience here. Take a look at this thread. That was a hard ride, 8 hours, 333 kilometers, one way.

Jess Bartone

If you are young, and if you have a an ass of steel that can handle riding long hours without stopping, while sitting on a seat as hard as a southern live oak tree. Trust me, I speak from experience here. Take a look at this thread. That was a hard ride, 8 hours, 333 kilometers, one way.

There is a certain group of squealing little girls that love to put shit on Harleys, in fact seem to make it a major part of their life, trying to find someone who will listen to their endless rant about how bad American bikes are. I know the OP won't be getting a HD, but... they have the most comfortable seat around bar none, so what I'm suggesting is one of those cruiser style bikes which have the same kind of butt-shaped seat. Lifan, Kawasaki, Yamaha, take your pick, they're designed for touring, which a lot of wankers the squealy ones seem to forget when they say bad stuff about anything non-race style.

Below bikes are all 400cc but the Lifan front tyre looks a bit skinny, the other two have decent fat tyres up front for rough sections of road.

lifan_lf400.jpgyamaha_dsc4_2007_01.jpgKawasakiVN40097.jpg

My idea is cruise the concrete/asphalt roads and have a great experience, meantime taking notes with descriptions about where you want to come back to next time with a big thumper dirt bike for a different style of touring the country.

jme

yes I have to agree that it might be much better to have a road bike if doing long runs. I have done some islands on the XR and found it great as it was very versatile and we went through some very muddy roads, back roads and tracks that I think a road bike would have not got through. One road was so swamped with mud that it was like riding a motocross track but a lot of fun too. Hard work though and even harder with a girl on the back and even harder when it was the first time for years on a bike again.

There is a certain group of squealing little girls that love to put shit on Harleys, in fact seem to make it a major part of their life, trying to find someone who will listen to their endless rant about how bad American bikes are.

i would love a Harley, in fact I was brought up with them as all my mates and family had them but I was always into trail bikes and they respected that and would even ride my bikes. I was never a sheep and felt the peer pressure to be one of the boyz and no one ever dared called me names to my face for not joining their gangs even though I would hang out at their parties etc. I have always been a loner and if anyone doesn't like me riding a trail bike they can stick it up their ass :scratch_head:

I would love to have a Harley over there though at my age now so I can just sit around looking at it and working on it all day when not riding it along with the girlfriend but if I bought one I would have no money left for the rest of my trip. I would be happy to take care of one though if anyone needs to head back to the west and needs a caring owner :yahoo: Maybe in about 1- 2 years I can get one though so that could also be worth thinking about...

Edited by jme

Jess Bartone

I was never a sheep and felt the peer pressure to be one of the boyz and no one ever dared called me names to my face for not joining their gangs

I know what you're saying but I wasn't referring to any gang stuff or peer pressure or anything like it. My Dad rode American bikes and my brothers were my peers, so it was natural I ended up riding the most comfortable bike available. I have no respect for mafia on motorbikes.

I was referring to the inherent comfort of the HD marque, and the fact that they are purpose built. Many of the copies are just as comfortable, and one of those 400cc cruisers would be perfect for a ride like the OP will take.

OzGuy43

Do understand now, no matter if you have a nice, expensive bike, or a piece of junk to ride, that Filipinos do not respect personal property. What I mean here is, wherever you park your bike, say during the day while stopped for lunch, you may very well come outside and see a Filipino sitting on your bike, or possibly having readjusted your mirrors to look at himself in them. This is something that is accepted in their culture.

great thread paul thanks enjoyed it and my god dunno how u did it on a dirt bike hahah but the route looke great and will seriously consider it when i finally reach cebu.believe me im not young, 43 now and definately do not have an ass of steel and comfort is gonna be a primary concern. good tip about filipino culture, did not realise they are like that with other peoples possesions but will definately keep an open mind in my travels, im a fairly laid back sort of bloke and it is there country after all. i guess it is better to have a smile, a laugh and a joke when things are out of the ordinary rather than getting all high and mighty.

There is a certain group of squealing little girls that love to put shit on Harleys, in fact seem to make it a major part of their life, trying to find someone who will listen to their endless rant about how bad American bikes are. I know the OP won't be getting a HD, but... they have the most comfortable seat around bar none, so what I'm suggesting is one of those cruiser style bikes which have the same kind of butt-shaped seat. Lifan, Kawasaki, Yamaha, take your pick, they're designed for touring, which a lot of wankers the squealy ones seem to forget when they say bad stuff about anything non-race style.

Below bikes are all 400cc but the Lifan front tyre looks a bit skinny, the other two have decent fat tyres up front for rough sections of road.

lifan_lf400.jpgyamaha_dsc4_2007_01.jpgKawasakiVN40097.jpg

My idea is cruise the concrete/asphalt roads and have a great experience, meantime taking notes with descriptions about where you want to come back to next time with a big thumper dirt bike for a different style of touring the country.

never even considered harleys jesse but they look great, comfortable and i can definately see myself on one, do they have a harley dealership in manila? wat is the average cost for a one or two year old tourer? is something to consider and ill look into it a bit more, will post pics and updates as it happens.

yes I have to agree that it might be much better to have a road bike if doing long runs. I have done some islands on the XR and found it great as it was very versatile and we went through some very muddy roads, back roads and tracks that I think a road bike would have not got through. One road was so swamped with mud that it was like riding a motocross track but a lot of fun too. Hard work though and even harder with a girl on the back and even harder when it was the first time for years on a bike again.

i would love a Harley, in fact I was brought up with them as all my mates and family had them but I was always into trail bikes and they respected that and would even ride my bikes. I was never a sheep and felt the peer pressure to be one of the boyz and no one ever dared called me names to my face for not joining their gangs even though I would hang out at their parties etc. I have always been a loner and if anyone doesn't like me riding a trail bike they can stick it up their ass :rofl:

I would love to have a Harley over there though at my age now so I can just sit around looking at it and working on it all day when not riding it along with the girlfriend but if I bought one I would have no money left for the rest of my trip. I would be happy to take care of one though if anyone needs to head back to the west and needs a caring owner :rofl: Maybe in about 1- 2 years I can get one though so that could also be worth thinking about...

nice attitude jme love it ur my kinda bloke for sure, im thinking when i have my route planned out would like to meet a few of the members for a beer or whatever. bloody nice people on this site and i really appreciate all the feedback, help and comments.

I know what you're saying but I wasn't referring to any gang stuff or peer pressure or anything like it. My Dad rode American bikes and my brothers were my peers, so it was natural I ended up riding the most comfortable bike available. I have no respect for mafia on motorbikes.

I was referring to the inherent comfort of the HD marque, and the fact that they are purpose built. Many of the copies are just as comfortable, and one of those 400cc cruisers would be perfect for a ride like the OP will take.

gonna look into the harleys jesse it might be exactly wat im looking for.

Jess Bartone

never even considered harleys jesse but they look great, comfortable and i can definately see myself on one, do they have a harley dealership in manila? wat is the average cost for a one or two year old tourer? is something to consider and ill look into it a bit more, will post pics and updates as it happens.

gonna look into the harleys jesse it might be exactly wat im looking for.

I think you missed my point OzBloke. I was just using the Harley as a yardstick in suggesting you go for a Japanese cruiser (HD copy). There is no Harley dealership in the Philippines, but there are probably thousands of bikes individuals have brought in over the years, trouble is you'll expect to pay 800k to a million pesos, between 16 and 22 thou AU. Check out the Jap 400cc bikes first, but if you get it in to your head you want a Harley and have enough money, have a look here.

Trouble is if the bike is more than 4 or 5 years old you don't know if it's been serviced properly or not, and I recall you using the word "budget" or "cheaper" earlier on. I would avoid such a huge outlay until I had decided to live in the Phils permanently. But hey man if you're loaded, jump on this 2008 Road King.

OzGuy43

I think you missed my point OzBloke. I was just using the Harley as a yardstick in suggesting you go for a Japanese cruiser (HD copy). There is no Harley dealership in the Philippines, but there are probably thousands of bikes individuals have brought in over the years, trouble is you'll expect to pay 800k to a million pesos, between 16 and 22 thou AU. Check out the Jap 400cc bikes first, but if you get it in to your head you want a Harley and have enough money, have a look here.

Trouble is if the bike is more than 4 or 5 years old you don't know if it's been serviced properly or not, and I recall you using the word "budget" or "cheaper" earlier on. I would avoid such a huge outlay until I had decided to live in the Phils permanently. But hey man if you're loaded, jump on this 2008 Road King.

bit over my budget jesse and really want something 1 to 2 years old at most, newer the better for reliabilitys sake, and yeh will definately stick to a budget while im there, i dont really see the point in spending for spendings sake and would prefer not to stand out like a sore thumb flashin cash everywhere Edited by OzGuy43