Sign in to follow this  
OzGuy43

Travelling around phili on my Baby

OzGuy43

My apologys, the topic is misleading but it got your attention so im happy ;) my baby will be my new bike i plan to purchase in manila when i arrive. ive travelled to the phils a number of times mostly cebu, malapascua, bantayan, dumaguete, mindanao, camiguin and various other places always by plane, bus and ferry. have never been to manila(luzon?) so plan to start there first, taking in olangapo, angeles and baguio city, heard thats a great place and weather will suit me for sure. after this my plan gets a bit hazy but want to visit iliolo, bacolod, palawan, mindanao again and of course boracay. i guess i have a number of questions for the members here, firstly can i take my bike with me onto the ferries? is it reasonably safe to travel in the areas ive mentioned, mostly travelling by day and usually with a very good attitude to the people i meet. will try to stay in the larger tourist cities whenever possible and will take day trips from there. will a shiny new bike attract unwanted attention? ive usually felt very safe everywhere ive been in phili apart from bislig city where i come across a few very hard shady characters. wont be going back there in a hurry. i plan to settle down somewhere in phili and really want to have the full experience, learn the country and its people and find a place where i will be happy to call home. one other very important question i have, i always planned to take this trip alone but as life likes to throw a spanner in the works every now and again i may be taking a young lady with me. its early days yet so we,ll see but my question is, will it be safe for her? i know nobody can guarantee anybodys safety anywhere in the world but your comments,opinions, and thoughts good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Jess Bartone
Wikipedia has a good page on the nautical highway, joined by roll-on roll-off ferrys. As for safety, I take the attitude you can't wrap yourself in cotton wool and I can get killed just as dead back home. You'll have a great time, enjoy.
  • Like 3

OzGuy43

yeh totally agree with u jesse we cant plan for all situations but i guess ill try to minimize any sort of danger as much as i can. hey thanks for the link looks very interesting will get to know parts of that highway very well i think.

OzGuy43

oh yeh the ferries were one of my major concerns because i had no idea if they allowed bikes on or not so thanks for clearing that up jesse

Jess Bartone

Now that you have some search terms, have a look around the internet, there's heaps of stuff. Not to mention Google Earth which is a great resource too, with Wiki articles, photos and what-not. Seeing you're doing the rounds of Luzon, why not go down through the south-east arm through Albay province and have a look at that bloody big Mayon volcano with the perfect cone? Copy and paste these coordinates into G earth: 13°15'16.01"N 123°41'9.74"E

Continue down to Matnog for your first ferry ride to Allen town in Northern Samar. Where Samar meets Leyte there is a long bridge over the strait to Tacloban city. San Juanico bridge: 11°18'9.55"N 124°58'18.78"E

In Southern Leyte you cross another bridge to the port of Liloan where you get the ferry to Surigao City on Mindanao. That's a bloody long way from Northern Luzon with only 2 ferry rides. From Manila to Camiguin is around 1,300 K's. If the member James Musslewhite sees this he will be able to tell you about getting your bike on to Siargao island and others in the area around Surigao.

• Like 1

fanboat

Oz,

I can't live in the phils unless i ride my bike

yes ferries do carry trucks,busses,cars and chickens

me and my lady had so much fun riding....we joined a big bike club,now there is the fun!

on one ride we had over a 1000 bikes rolling!

one thing i want to do next trip is get travelers insurance....for the un-expected?

what bike are you riding?

there are many 20,000 dollar bikes here

Davaoeno

if you go to manila i understand some of the highways dont let any bikes under 400 cc on the road.

Jess Bartone

if you go to manila i understand some of the highways dont let any bikes under 400 cc on the road.

Well in the start the authorities said "no bikes" period, but bowed to lobbying pressure and put up the 400cc rule. The skyway is possibly the most dangerous stretch of road in the Philippines because of the higher speeds allowed. If you're on a bike don't slow down or a bus will drive over the top of you.

OzGuy43

Now that you have some search terms, have a look around the internet, there's heaps of stuff. Not to mention Google Earth which is a great resource too, with Wiki articles, photos and what-not. Seeing you're doing the rounds of Luzon, why not go down through the south-east arm through Albay province and have a look at that bloody big Mayon volcano with the perfect cone? Copy and paste these coordinates into G earth: 13°15'16.01"N 123°41'9.74"E

Continue down to Matnog for your first ferry ride to Allen town in Northern Samar. Where Samar meets Leyte there is a long bridge over the strait to Tacloban city. San Juanico bridge: 11°18'9.55"N 124°58'18.78"E

In Southern Leyte you cross another bridge to the port of Liloan where you get the ferry to Surigao City on Mindanao. That's a bloody long way from Northern Luzon with only 2 ferry rides. From Manila to Camiguin is around 1,300 K's. If the member James Musslewhite sees this he will be able to tell you about getting your bike on to Siargao island and others in the area around Surigao.

thanks jesse some very good advice there and 2 ferries to mindanao sound great. that volcana looks incredible will definately be on my to see list. never really expected to be able to get my bike on the smaller islands but if its at all possible would be great, wink wink james haha thanks again mate u have definately helped make my hazy plan into more of a reality.

Oz,

I can't live in the phils unless i ride my bike

yes ferries do carry trucks,busses,cars and chickens

me and my lady had so much fun riding....we joined a big bike club,now there is the fun!

on one ride we had over a 1000 bikes rolling!

one thing i want to do next trip is get travelers insurance....for the un-expected?

what bike are you riding?

there are many 20,000 dollar bikes here

gday fan boat yeh im exactly the same mate every time ive been to phili the first thing i do is hire my bike, love riding around the citys and rural areas its a very free feeling. that sounds like an amazing experience mate all those bikes rolling at the same time and i imagine there would have been plenty of party nights haha to cool. yeh travel insurance is definately the go and hopefully i can get some decent insurance for the bike too, maybe from dealerships? my dream bike would have to be one of the bmw tourers but really any decent fairly new comfy bike with luggage room will do me as long as it has plenty of torque for those long high mountain roads.

good tip dave thanks

Well in the start the authorities said "no bikes" period, but bowed to lobbying pressure and put up the 400cc rule. The skyway is possibly the most dangerous stretch of road in the Philippines because of the higher speeds allowed. If you're on a bike don't slow down or a bus will drive over the top of you.

yeh im sure ill have plenty of nerve wracking experiences jesse but i love that quote from the george clooney film up in the air, if you aint moving u aint living.

Ungaro

Wow! What great fun you'll have...

Around Manila, you cannot take a small bike on the skyway (freeway). You can take your bike to all the places you mention except Boracao (approached by pump boat only, no motor vehicles allowed. Look for RORO (Roll-On, Roll-Off) ferry service. Some other shipping companies will take your bike if 125cc or less (OceanJet, for example between Cebu and Tagbilaran, Bohol). ROROs are slower than fast ferries.

If you are not using a RORO, you will pay extra (usually p300 to load the bike and p300 to unload it). You always have to pay some garbage fees, like Arrestre (I don't know WTF that is.) For short trips, I found it cheaper to leave my bike home, take the fast ferry and rent a bike at the destination. Bike rentals are p400 to p500/day. We have done that 4 times on Palawan.

Speaking of Palawan, the roads are very bad the further you get from Puerto Princesa. To the south, the pavement can end abruptly or be studded with potholes you can swim in. The road between Taytay and El Nido (to the north) is washed out during the rainy season. They have been working on laying down concrete but it is slow going.

Be prepared for ANYTHING on the highway. Dogs, chicken, pigs, goats, carabao, drying copra and rice, disabled vehicles, beggars, hawkers, gawkers, police checkpoints -- ANYTHING

Edited by Ungaro

Jess Bartone

Great post and great info Ungaro, but I get the feeling he wants to range far and wide, which kind of precludes renting, but a great idea for island hopping.

P.S. on a trip like this I would seriously consider a bike in the 400cc+ category... sometimes a bit of extra power can save your life, plus having the freedom to go on Skyway and Southern Luzon tollway, taking the exit at 14° 7'32.68"N 121° 8'15.38"E onto the Pan Philippine highway to Albay etc.

OzGuy43

Wow! What great fun you'll have...

Around Manila, you cannot take a small bike on the skyway (freeway). You can take your bike to all the places you mention except Boracao (approached by pump boat only, no motor vehicles allowed. Look for RORO (Roll-On, Roll-Off) ferry service. Some other shipping companies will take your bike if 125cc or less (OceanJet, for example between Cebu and Tagbilaran, Bohol). ROROs are slower than fast ferries.

If you are not using a RORO, you will pay extra (usually p300 to load the bike and p300 to unload it). You always have to pay some garbage fees, like Arrestre (I don't know WTF that is.) For short trips, I found it cheaper to leave my bike home, take the fast ferry and rent a bike at the destination. Bike rentals are p400 to p500/day. We have done that 4 times on Palawan.

Speaking of Palawan, the roads are very bad the further you get from Puerto Princesa. To the south, the pavement can end abruptly or be studded with potholes you can swim in. The road between Taytay and El Nido (to the north) is washed out during the rainy season. They have been working on laying down concrete but it is slow going.

Be prepared for ANYTHING on the highway. Dogs, chicken, pigs, goats, carabao, drying copra and rice, disabled vehicles, beggars, hawkers, gawkers, police checkpoints -- ANYTHING

great info ungaro thanks, yeh for sure mate will be an adventure of a lifetime. the RORO ferries sound great will keep my eye out for them. to be honest any place that i cannot get my bike too ill have to give a miss cause during the tour will be homeless and will be relying purely on hotels. as for the rural areas im sorta hoping to plan it so i land in the decent sized tourist cities and then do day trips from there. will stay smack bang in the middle of puerta princessa and try to keep to the decent roads if at all possible, dont wanna harm my baby, or my other baby if she is with me lol and yeh i know exactly what u mean about the roads my god, i dont know how many times ive been travelling in a speeding taxi telling the driver to slow down mate for christs sakes, they never do of course until that bloody caraboa steps out into the road and its actually happened to me twice so far, never hit it either time but came too close for my comfort.

Ungaro

great info ungaro thanks, yeh for sure mate will be an adventure of a lifetime. the RORO ferries sound great will keep my eye out for them. to be honest any place that i cannot get my bike too ill have to give a miss cause during the tour will be homeless and will be relying purely on hotels. as for the rural areas im sorta hoping to plan it so i land in the decent sized tourist cities and then do day trips from there. will stay smack bang in the middle of puerta princessa and try to keep to the decent roads if at all possible, dont wanna harm my baby, or my other baby if she is with me lol and yeh i know exactly what u mean about the roads my god, i dont know how many times ive been travelling in a speeding taxi telling the driver to slow down mate for christs sakes, they never do of course until that bloody caraboa steps out into the road and its actually happened to me twice so far, never hit it either time but came too close for my comfort.

So you'll skip Boracay. No great loss IMHO. It is an expensive tourist trap with a captive market. There are just as nice beaches closer to home. For places to stay I use http://www.agoda.com and http://www.booking.com -- one or the other will have the cheapest rates, often 60% below rack rates.

If you have not been to El Nido (northern Palawan), I would not miss it.

All the best!

jusjoseph

http://en.wikipedia....autical_Highway

Can anyone get these 3 .gifs to open so i can download and expand and read? They keep opening into IE browser. I woul like to save and view them in a larger format.

Thanks.

Edited by jusjoseph

broden
Can anyone get these 3 .gifs to open

gimme a minute

• Like 1