Sign in to follow this  
jcandrews

Husband wants to apply for tax number. Possible?

jcandrews

Hi, seeking for an advice here.

My husband is dutch and works as a seafarer/seaman (however you call it) worldwide. Can he be exempted to pay tax from his country as well as mine?

Or how does this work? Does anybody have an experience with filing their tax numbers for foreigners/westerners & etc.

Thanks, your advice is much needed.

Davaoeno

Taxpayers: residents and non-residents

Under the present Income Tax Act residents are liable for income tax on their world-wide income. Non-residents residing in an eu Member State or in a country with which the Netherlands has concluded a double taxation convention providing for the exchange of information may opt for enforcement of the sections of the Income Tax Act for residents. Non-residents are taxed only on the income from a limited number of sources in the Netherlands. The Netherlands has concluded many double taxation conventions to prevent the double taxation of world-wide income. If no convention is applicable, tax relief may be obtained on the basis of the Unilateral Decree for the prevention of double taxation. (If certain requirements are met, foreign employees temporarily posted to the Netherlands may request the application of a special tax arrangement known as the 30% ruling)

http://www.expatax.n...etaxexpatax.php

I suggest that he talk to a Dutch tax accountant or attorney . I think you need much more precise and expert legal advice than you are likely to get here

Edited by DAVAOENO

Wombat No More

I applied and immediately got a tax number here in the main office in Mandaue, about 8 years ago. Also, tax committments have been written about here before and what I understood about it is that if you pay tax in one country, you don't need to pay tax here, or you can pay tax here and not pay tax at your home country, on application for such???

For Real

Most Western Union offices have a fax service - pay on collection - just give the sender the number

jcandrews

Ok guys thanks for the info. This really helps! :-)