Sign in to follow this  
sperman

cebu to davao, ship or plane?

sperman

anyone have an opinion on whether a boat trip is any better than flying to davao from cebu and back. will have a short stay in davao, maybe 4 days. how do prices compare? food on the boat? comfort? 2 small boys and wife will be with me, or i with them.

lazydays

Well its a long way around Mindanao by boat.

If you get a boat to the North coast of Mindanao, CDO, you then got @ 8hr bus trip over the mountains to Davao.

Its a big Island. Flying everytime for me. :)

udonthani

it's a long one - it takes almost 8 hours for a ferry to just get to the north shore of Mindanao, then it has to a third of the way around Mindanao itself. Without looking it up, I'd guess it's around 18-20 hours at least. And I bet it would cost more than flying too, seeig as even the short Cebu-CDO flight is only a few hundred pesos more than the ferry. The kids would think it's great at first but quickly get bored. It's not like the Queen Mary, with deck tennis and outdoor chess on deck. You're lucky if there's a videoke machine.

shadow

anyone have an opinion on whether a boat trip is any better than flying to davao from cebu and back. will have a short stay in davao, maybe 4 days. how do prices compare? food on the boat? comfort? 2 small boys and wife will be with me, or i with them.

Going to Davao flying is the only viable option, in my opinion. That is unless you just want to see some of the country, then take a boat to CDO or Nasipit and take a bus to Davao.

Larry in Dumaguete

ckfm

Is there an airline offering a direct flight from Cebu to Davao?

Jim Sibbick

There may be a boat direct to Davao but I am not aware of it.

One boat option I know is boat to Surigao City then bus/van to Davao.

http://www.cokaliongshipping.com/schedules_and_rates/cebu-surigao.html

Probably simpler and less expensive to fly. Especially if you get a promo rate with Cebu Pacific

http://www.cebupacificair.com/#

Regards: Jim

Jim Sibbick

Cebu Pacific has 4 flights per day

http://www.cebupacificair.com/

and AirPhilExpress has 2 flights per day

http://www.airphilexpress.com/

I just checked a price for AirPhilExpress for a months time, it was P788, including taxes.

Bob Ward

You're kidding right?

• Like 1

udonthani

there's been air service Cebu - Davao for as long as I remember. CDO and Davao are the two most viable routes. After that comes Gen San and Zamboanga. At one time PAL had a Davao-CDO service that would be useful, except obviously not for them. They axed it in about 2005;.

maybe I'm imagining things but I'm sure I saw a sign for a ferry to Davao once, again years ago, just not sure where. Not Cebu. Dumaguete maybe.

sperman

ok, thanx guys, looks like we'll be flying.

Davaoeno
You're kidding right?

that was my thought ! the guy has 2740 posts so he obviously knows how to use a computer, and his profile says that he lives in the Philippines, and i find it hard to believe that someone who lives here has never heard of Cebu Pacific or Airphilexpress lol

ArieBombarie

Never comfortable with long boat trips considering the safety record of these ferry's,

Jim Sibbick

At one time PAL had a Davao-CDO service that would be useful, except obviously not for them. They axed it in about 2005;.

Your post jogged a memory.

Cebu pacific fly that route now

http://www.cebupacificair.com/flights-and-fares/flight_sked/Domestic%20Schedule%20January%2027,%202012%20-%20UFN%20(012612).pdf

udonthani

so they do. Missed that one. Daily too. When PAL did it it was only three times a week I think.

the.lone.gunman

I flew Cebu Pacific from Cebu to Davao last week. Flight takes about 50 minutes and the cost was 7400p return for 2 adults.