Spousal or Fiance visa for USA?

shadow

Then again, given the state of things in the States, perhaps it's easier to fly her to Mexico and walk across the boarder in Arizona. After that, it's a shoe in, the government will probably pay her to stay, certainly no problems getting jobs, drivers licenses or anything else. Better yet, have her commit a felony to help speed the process along. Obummer loves to let felons in. Ya' know? Just sayin' :)

WOW! Who would have guessed?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• senseless

• smokey

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no "one visa" that is better for everyone. Some will prefer to use the K1, others will prefer to marry first and enter on a spousal visa. Both have advantages, and disadvantages, and processe

There is no question about. Get married here. The difference is lots of money and wait times vs the fiance visa. If I had it to do over again, I would do the spouse visa everytime. I am still pissed t

IMO ... get married here and file (CR1/IR1) for advantages already mentioned by other posters. I married here and filed a CR1 at Embassy in Manila. While waiting in line, I talked to some Americans an

Headshot

The IR-1 would require you be married 2 years.. and while it takes a little longer the wife GETS her green card (10 year ) on entry with a K1 there is a stuck 3 years and another 1,000 us plus to go from temp. to perm. green card.. also IR 1 includes a SSN ..

The CR-1 also includes the Green Card and SSN. You receive them in the mail about three weeks after entering the US.

Edited by Headshot
afmayer

The CR-1 also includes the Green Card and SSN. You receive them in the mail about three weeks after entering the US.

I wondered about this. How do they know when you enter the US? What triggers the mailing of the SSN and Green card? Do you need to inform them of entry? If so, what is the mechanism?

Headshot

I wondered about this. How do they know when you enter the US? What triggers the mailing of the SSN and Green card? Do you need to inform them of entry? If so, what is the mechanism?

The embassy sends you a packet along with the visa, which you turn in to US Immigration when you enter the country. THAT triggers everything. Be sure the packet remains sealed. The seal must be broken by US Immigration when you enter. We used scissors to remove her passport (with the visa in it) from the plastic wrapping without messing up the rest of the wrapping. You need the passport so she can get the CFO sticker attached and so she has it for traveling.

Edited by Headshot
afmayer

The embassy sends you a packet along with the visa, which you turn in to US Immigration when you enter the country. THAT triggers everything. Be sure the packet remains sealed. The seal must be broken by US Immigration when you enter. We used scissors to remove her passport (with the visa in it) from the plastic wrapping without messing up the rest of the wrapping. You need the passport so she can get the CFO sticker attached and so she has it for traveling.

Thanks for the information Bill ...

As long as your income is ok, there are no medical issues, no criminal convictions or drug abuse on the part of your girl, and all paperwork is done correctly, the chances of denial anywhere along the way are near nil with either visa. A congressman involved will not help, although some seem to think it does. You still have to go through the same process.

Do you need yearly income or money in the bank?

shadow

The DS-230 part II is the application for resident visa and alien registration (green card), question 43B asks if you want them to process the SS number. If entering on CR1 a two year green card will be issued, if IR1 a 10 year card will be issued.

Larry in Dumaguete

afmayer

The DS-230 part II is the application for resident visa and alien registration (green card), question 43B asks if you want them to process the SS number. If entering on CR1 a two year green card will be issued, if IR1 a 10 year card will be issued.

Larry in Dumaguete

Thanks for the information ...

You only need to be 125% of poverty level for your household size, or your co-sponsor needs to be 125% of poverty level for your household+theirs. No need for multiple sponsors if one meets the income guidelines. All co-sponsors must fill out AOS.

Do sponsers or co/sponsers need to be US citizens ?

So bottom line to all this is once you go back to the states with either new wife or soon to be wife, you are stuck there? If you're intent is not to live in the USA you are more or less screwed? I've heard it's very hard to get a B1 or B2 for your wife. Am I reading the situation right?

shadow

Do sponsers or co/sponsers need to be US citizens ?

No, a sponsor can be a citizen or legal permanent resident domiciled in the US.

Larry in Dumaguete

shadow

So bottom line to all this is once you go back to the states with either new wife or soon to be wife, you are stuck there? If you're intent is not to live in the USA you are more or less screwed? I've heard it's very hard to get a B1 or B2 for your wife. Am I reading the situation right?

Not too far off. If your wife spends more time out of the US than in, they will revoke her green card. The green card is a permit to "live" in the US. If an immigration officer determines her intent is not to live there, he can confiscate it at will. However, if/when that happens, obtaining a B1/B2 gets much easier as she has already shown overwhelming evidence that she does not intend to stay in the US.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
shadow

Do you need yearly income or money in the bank?

Either/or. If you have 3 years worth of 125% of poverty level in the bank, (for instance $60,000 in the bank instead of $18,387 per year) chances are very good they will accept that as proof of support. Also if your income is slightly below, but you have some savings, they may work with you on that too. They are a little flexible.

Larry in Dumaguete

Not too far off. If your wife spends more time out of the US than in, they will revoke her green card. The green card is a permit to "live" in the US. If an immigration officer determines her intent is not to live there, he can confiscate it at will. However, if/when that happens, obtaining a B1/B2 gets much easier as she has already shown overwhelming evidence that she does not intend to stay in the US.

Larry in Dumaguete

WOW! Who would have guessed? ;-)

Thanks Larry