Spousal or Fiance visa for USA?

David Spicer

GF is pregnant, no way I'm going to raise a kid here. So we're going to the US.

Our daughter just turned 4; born and raised here so far. Having a child was not part of my retirement plans, so we will at some point be going to the USA. But I want her to learn her mothers culture first, along with allowing her to becoming a Filipina before introducing her to my crazy culture. We will likely go to the USA in time for her to start Junior High School there, so 7 or 8 years from now. I would much more prefer to raise a small child in the Philippines than in the USA, and I have done it in the USA already.

As Larry stated, at this point you are likely going to deal with a serious time issue that may work against you. You and your family can go to the USA at any point, the child will be born here as a dual citizen, so I don't really see the urgency.

Our daughter is doing extremely well in her first year of pre-school. She speaks both English and Cebuano. She is the teachers pet because she speaks English so well. And she is currently trying to decipher Tagalog cartoons.

At about 12 she will adapt to the USA much faster than her mother will at about 50, and that is my only major concern.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• senseless

• smokey

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no "one visa" that is better for everyone. Some will prefer to use the K1, others will prefer to marry first and enter on a spousal visa. Both have advantages, and disadvantages, and processe

There is no question about. Get married here. The difference is lots of money and wait times vs the fiance visa. If I had it to do over again, I would do the spouse visa everytime. I am still pissed t

IMO ... get married here and file (CR1/IR1) for advantages already mentioned by other posters. I married here and filed a CR1 at Embassy in Manila. While waiting in line, I talked to some Americans an

shadow

about 3 weeks. I'm going to go back to the US in march to get the house built while we're waiting on paper work to come through. She should be due around august.

Does it make any difference how many co-sponsors there are? Would that speed up or slow down processing time? Was going to try to get 2 family members to cosponsor her. Do all cosponsors have to fill out the affidavit of support?

While she is on the green card, will we be able to come back to the PH? We have a number of animals we'd like to bring with us to the US but only want to bring 2 at a time in case one of them gets quarantined for an extended period. From what i understand the green card you get after a K-1 is conditional? We will need to make like 6 trips to the PI to get all the pets.

You only need to be 125% of poverty level for your household size, or your co-sponsor needs to be 125% of poverty level for your household+theirs. No need for multiple sponsors if one meets the income guidelines. All co-sponsors must fill out AOS.

Yes, she can travel on a green card. If she enters on a K1, it will be a number of months before she can travel, if she enters on CR1, she can travel immediately. First green card will be conditional (two years, no matter if she enters on K1 or CR1), after that she will apply for removal of conditions and receive a 10 year green card.

Larry in Dumaguete

smokey

on a K-1 i think she can not leave for 3 years or till she gets her perm. green card and getting animals into the us is very very very hard... we were told even after the temp. green card is issued you need to check in if you want to leave the country and it needs to be something important?? and the amount of time was less then 4 months and they suggested this only happen once during the 3 year waiting period.. ??? i think he may have to be the one coming and going for a while..

Edited by smokey
senseless

on a K-1 i think she can not leave for 3 years or till she gets her perm. green card and getting animals into the us is very very very hard... we were told even after the temp. green card is issued you need to check in if you want to leave the country and it needs to be something important?? and the amount of time was less then 4 months and they suggested this only happen once during the 3 year waiting period.. ??? i think he may have to be the one coming and going for a while..

We were only planning on coming here long enough to pick up one of the cats and then leave like the very next day. Worst case, if she can't do it I guess I'll just have to make 11 solo trips within a 2 or 3 months span.

smokey

well i dont know what all the consern is about adapting my wife is over 50 and she is very well adapted she did take a 3 month trip back to cebu to rescue me on my re hab project but the only thing she is still nervous about is driving the freeway.. .. the rest was easy she already has a job that took 4 weeks .. and she has her ATM ,her credit cards.. knows where to buy dried fish ,, and knows as many of her fellow countrymen here as she did there...

smokey

We were only planning on coming here long enough to pick up one of the cats and then leave like the very next day. Worst case, if she can't do it I guess I'll just have to make 11 solo trips within a 2 or 3 months span.

first check with the animal control getting dogs and cats into philippines is not hard getting them into the us i was told was very hard but then animals are family so screw hard... dude for a one day turn around??? better you buy one round trip and it will take much more then one day lots of paperwork to be done before the kittie leaves..

senseless

one day lots of paperwork to be done before the kittie leaves..

I already have a card for each with all their de-worming and vaccinations on it. I just need to get a certificate of good health for each from a vet to be on the safe side. From what I read online, as long as the animal is not obviously sick there should be no issue or mandatory quarantine period.

Edited by senseless
Lordblacknail

There is no question about. Get married here. The difference is lots of money and wait times vs the fiance visa. If I had it to do over again, I would do the spouse visa everytime. I am still pissed that no one on any of the forums told me this in the begining. It takes a little longer, but you save tons of money and processing times for the paperwork once you get to the states is much less.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info.

• Like 1
TheMatrix

Senseless,

I also had to make these choices recently. I choose to get married here first.

My reasons:

1) Not sure if this is true or not, but it seems obvious that approval process would be more definite with a "wife" rather than a girlfriend (spouse).

2) The marriage ceremony is much cheaper here. I'm spending a tad over $5000 for the wedding, honeymoon and rings. A similar wedding in the U.S. would have been well over $20k, probably nearer to $30k. Having a nice wedding is necessary. This is her first wedding, and I feel its my obligation to make it as fairy-tale as possible for her.

3) Her family is here in Cebu and certainly would like to see her get married here.

3) Getting married here makes it less complicated after we get back to U.S. with less paperwork/filings upon our return - sure, it might take a little extra time, but rather do the work here. We'll be busy establishing our life after we get to the U.S. with a new home, dog, etc.

4) I'm not sure about this, but I believe she will be able to get a job (if she wants to), after we get to the U.S versus having to wait one year for the right as a fiance.

There are other reasons too, but I forgot them and the above were the most prominent. I'm getting married in February and the following day, plan on being at the embassy with my package. Hope this helps!

Steve

I just got married here in the States.

They say 5-7 months for the paper work but they were backed logged to 9 months.

The cost that were quoted for the K1 are right.

Good luck to you!

shadow

A K1 entrant can apply for "advance parole" as soon as they marry. Once receiving advance parole (4-6 weeks) they can then leave the country for up to 6 months encountering without any problems. Repeated long trips outside the country are another issue, as they are with a green card holder.

Larry in Dumaguete

shadow

I am still pissed that no one on any of the forums told me this in the begining.

I certainly would have told you had I been consulted. If you posted the question and I did not respond, then I didn't see it. I am away from the forums occasionally for days at a time, so it is possible I missed it.

Larry in Dumaguete

afmayer

GF is pregnant, no way I'm going to raise a kid here. So we're going to the US.

Not married yet, but been together for 6 years. Should I go for a fiance visa and marry there? or get married here and go for a spousal visa?

I've heard some people say it's easier to get a fiance visa than a spousal visa for going to the US. Does anyone have any recommendations from experience?

From what I understand you get the fiance visa (K-1), then you're required to get married 90 days after landing on US soil. Then what? The website says you then apply for permanent resident status. Is it possible the permanent resident status could be denied after the K1 and getting married? Would she need to apply for an immigrant visa after permanent resident status?

The spousal visa, I would just get married here and apply for an IR-1?

I'm just worried we're going to get denied. I meet all the requirements for affidavit of support easy. I just know how fecked up the US govt is and immigration laws, so I'm just concerned about doing everything 100% the first time.

How exactly does one become a citizen after receiving an immigrant visa? Wait 4 years and then go through naturalization?

Would a call from a congressman or senator expedite the process? I was thinking I could donate 5K to a few local politicians and then ask for a "favor".

IMO ... get married here and file (CR1/IR1) for advantages already mentioned by other posters. I married here and filed a CR1 at Embassy in Manila. While waiting in line, I talked to some Americans and learned there are ways (depending on your situation) to speed up the process even more. PM me if you want the details.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Marriage in the RP is much cheaper than the states.

• Like 1

Then again, given the state of things in the States, perhaps it's easier to fly her to Mexico and walk across the boarder in Arizona. After that, it's a shoe in, the government will probably pay her to stay, certainly no problems getting jobs, drivers licenses or anything else. Better yet, have her commit a felony to help speed the process along. Obummer loves to let felons in. Ya' know? Just sayin' :)

• Like 1