Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

SSN Application at US Consular Agency - Cebu

SkyMan

Would SSA be Social Security Administration? You think there might be expedited processing of SSN requests? Or ITIN numbers? I need both.

The SSA has nothing to do with ITINs. Those come from the IRS and look like a SSAN but are definitely not. Their purpose is only to provide a ID number for someone to file US income tax that is not a citizen. To get an ITIN you will need to file a W-7 with your taxes this year. Se above. Edited by SkyMan

Jawny

I don't believe he SSA will process any documents related to an ITIN. This is strictly a function of the IRS. There is a certifying agent in the country who can assist (Jim Boyd Foundation) in processing the paperwork to the IRS.

TheMatrix

This may be a stupid question, but can I apply for a social security number for my wife now? We just got married a few days ago and I have just begun the immigration process back to the U.S. It would be cool to get her a number now so that I can begin helping her establish her credit rating. Regardless if I moved back to the U.S. or not, doesn't she need a SSN if I will file my taxes jointly as a married couple?

Headshot

This may be a stupid question, but can I apply for a social security number for my wife now? We just got married a few days ago and I have just begun the immigration process back to the U.S. It would be cool to get her a number now so that I can begin helping her establish her credit rating. Regardless if I moved back to the U.S. or not, doesn't she need a SSN if I will file my taxes jointly as a married couple?

She won't get an SSN until they issue her a green card in the US. You CAN apply for an ITIN for tax purposes, but since you weren't married until this year, that won't do you any good on last year's taxes. You might as well just go through the DCF process and get her a CR-1 visa and get her to the US. Then, she will get an SSN, and all will be well for next year's taxes.

TheMatrix

She won't get an SSN until they issue her a green card in the US. You CAN apply for an ITIN for tax purposes, but since you weren't married until this year, that won't do you any good on last year's taxes. You might as well just go through the DCF process and get her a CR-1 visa and get her to the US. Then, she will get an SSN, and all will be well for next year's taxes.

Thanks Bill. That's what I kinda thought then I saw this thread and wondered if I could secure her SSN now. Would be great if I could. Darn!

Headshot

Thanks Bill. That's what I kinda thought then I saw this thread and wondered if I could secure her SSN now. Would be great if I could. Darn!

Yeah...it's just children that can get an SSN without first going to the US.

Experienced

Yeah...it's just children that can get an SSN without first going to the US.

I'm almost certain we filled out the "apply for SSN" form when we filed the "Consular report of overseas birth" paperwork for our son at the Cebu consulate. We got the passport pretty quickly (a month?), but never heard anything about the SSN. Is that normally mailed out to your local (or US?) address or do you have to go pick it up at the consulate? I'm planning to go in Friday or Monday to find out but thought I might get lucky with a question here.

Headshot

I'm almost certain we filled out the "apply for SSN" form when we filed the "Consular report of overseas birth" paperwork for our son at the Cebu consulate. We got the passport pretty quickly (a month?), but never heard anything about the SSN. Is that normally mailed out to your local (or US?) address or do you have to go pick it up at the consulate? I'm planning to go in Friday or Monday to find out but thought I might get lucky with a question here.

Well, you have to have the CRBA in-hand before you can even apply for the SSN, so I'm betting that the two things you applied for at the same time were the CRBA and US passport. Those two things can be done on the same form. The SSN application is separate and requires the CRBA and either a US passport or a Philippine passport (if you didn't apply for a US passport when you appied for the CRBA) for the child and your US passport. You can get the SSN application at the US Consular Services office in Cebu and fill it out right there if you wish.