Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

SSN Application at US Consular Agency - Cebu

Headshot

I went to the US Consular Agency in Cebu (Waterfront Hotel) today to apply for my daughter's US Social Security number. Let me tell you this was about the easiest thing I have done in relation to the US government since I've been here. You need four things to get an SSN for your child. You need a filled out SSN application form. You need a CRBA (Certificate of Registered Birth Abroad) which you can also apply for through the Consular Agency. You need a passport for the child, which can either be a Philippine passport or a US passport (which can also be applied for through the Consular Agency). Lastly, you need your US Passport.

Take those things to the Consular Agency between 9 AM and 11 AM Monday thru Friday except holidays (US and Philippine). You get a number at the entrance, and then go in and wait for them to call your number. When your number is called, go to the window and pass those four things through. He will take them and ask you to wait for your name to be called. When your name is called, go to the room on the left of the main window, where you will talk with the Consular Officer. He will sign copies of the supporting documents, give you back the originals, and tell you you should receive the SSN within thirty days. That is an easy process.

• Like 2

BossHog

Hey thanks Headshot.

I'm going to get the SSN for our youngest this summer and was dreading a trip to Manila to get it done.

Glad to hear it was painless.

The embassy website says "ALL SERVICES PROVIDED BY SOCIAL SECURITY ARE FREE OF CHARGE. " Great!

Was the following the form you used?

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/korea/187344/ACS/Instructions-Applying%20for%20SSN.pdf

Thanks again.

Edited by BossHog

SkyMan
You need a filled out SSN application form.
You're starting to sound pinoy. :) At least you didn't say filled up. :rofl: Did you 'avail' of the fast lane? :rofl:

That is an easy process.

You do make it sound a little easier than reality though, right? I mean, what was the process to get the CRBA and US passport (I assume you have the US passport for her)? I know the Phil passport process is a pita but it is cheaper and lasts as long as the US for a child. Can you apply for the CRBA and US passport at the same time? And how long before you get them?

Thanks for the info though and Congratulations on the new tax deduction!!! Wish it was as easy to get an ITIN for a spouse.

Edited by SkyMan

tonny

Well if you PM me will send you how to get a Tax ID for your wife ,easy cost about $50 bucks as i remember took 4 weeks or less . Also you can get a SS number for the child before she have birth abroad paper and passport but is list as not for work ,,,,haaaaaaa a baby. But we went that way so we could get checks early with out all that other stuff if you want to know how PM me also also it on some old post of mine ,good luck

Paul

Bill,

Jimmy (tonny) is a SSA guru. I have never found anything that he didn't know about it.

I'm glad you had a productive trip to the US Consular Agency.

Headshot

Hey thanks Headshot.

I'm going to get the SSN for our youngest this summer and was dreading a trip to Manila to get it done.

Glad to hear it was painless.

The embassy website says "ALL SERVICES PROVIDED BY SOCIAL SECURITY ARE FREE OF CHARGE. " Great!

Was the following the form you used?

http://photos.state....20for%20SSN.pdf

Thanks again.

The service is, indeed, free.

I got the form from the US Consulate. It was different from the one you linked. The form they gave me to use was a lot simpler. Basically, because you have to already have a CRBA, all of the questions have already been answered.

• Like 1

Headshot

You're starting to sound pinoy. :rofl: At least you didn't say filled up. :rofl: Did you 'avail' of the fast lane? :rofl:

You do make it sound a little easier than reality though, right? I mean, what was the process to get the CRBA and US passport (I assume you have the US passport for her)? I know the Phil passport process is a pita but it is cheaper and lasts as long as the US for a child. Can you apply for the CRBA and US passport at the same time? And how long before you get them?

Thanks for the info though and Congratulations on the new tax deduction!!! Wish it was as easy to get an ITIN for a spouse.

They only have one lane Ma'am-sir. :biggrin_01:

The process was exactly as I described (easy peezy). However, as you point out, you have to already have a CRBA for the child. I described that process in another thread. Getting the CRBA wasn't bad either really, but required a lot more documentation...how much documentation depends on your situation and relationship with the child's mother. I didn't get a US passport for her yet, but we did get her a Philippine passport. It takes a lot less time to get (3 weeks) than the US passport (3 months). However, you can apply for both the CRBA and US passport through the US Consular Agency in Cebu (at the same time on the same form), which is a lot better than going to Manila. BTW, if you just get the CRBA, it comes back in one month instead of the three months if you apply for a US passport at the same time. They will hold the CRBA until the passport is done if you apply for a passport.

Thanks for the congrats Terry. I had two goals here...first the tax deduction and second the ability to enroll her in DEERS (which requires a SSN for a child).

Edited by Headshot

SkyMan
Well if you PM me will send you how to get a Tax ID for your wife ,easy cost about $50 bucks as i remember took 4 weeks or less .
I'm assuming the $50 is for the notary. Most of the pita is getting her passport. I sent that in with W-7 and my tax return and they did return it quickly. I spent a good amount of worry about that though as we were leaving for the US soon.

Headshot

Well if you PM me will send you how to get a Tax ID for your wife ,easy cost about $50 bucks as i remember took 4 weeks or less . Also you can get a SS number for the child before she have birth abroad paper and passport but is list as not for work ,,,,haaaaaaa a baby. But we went that way so we could get checks early with out all that other stuff if you want to know how PM me also also it on some old post of mine ,good luck

Thanks Tonny, but my wife already has an SSN (green card). On the baby, I just followed the instructions I was given. It was easy, so no problem. If you don't get a CRBA, the child is NOT a US citizen. If this isn't done before the child is 18, it can't be done.

Edit: Silly me. I thought you were talking to me Tonny. An ITIN for a foreign spouse is fairly simple. You just send in a form with your federal tax return (along with a certified marriage certificate), and they send you a letter with an ITIN in it. It delays the refund a bit (a few weeks) for that year, but in the end you have an ITIN with no real hassles.

Edited by Headshot

David Spicer

An ITIN for a foreign spouse is fairly simple. You just send in a form with your federal tax return (along with a certified marriage certificate), and they send you a letter with an ITIN in it. It delays the refund a bit (a few weeks) for that year, but in the end you have an ITIN with no real hassles.

I did the ITIN thing back in 2007 and it's not quite that simple. The required documents are listed in the instructions for the Form W7; MC is not one of them.

Edited by David Spicer

SkyMan

Here's the ITIN requirements from the IRS W-7 Instructions:

http://www.irs.gov/i...s/iw7/ch01.html

How To Apply

Your application must include all of the following.

1. Your completed Form W-7.

Note.

If you submit a Form W-7, all later ITIN notices and correspondence that you receive will be in English. If you prefer to receive them in Spanish, please submit Form W-7(SP).
  2. Your original, completed tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. If you are applying for more than one ITIN for the same tax return (such as for a spouse or dependent(s)), attach all Forms W-7 to the same tax return. After your Form W-7 has been processed, the IRS will assign an ITIN to the return and process the return.

taxtip.gif There are exceptions to the requirement to include a U.S. tax return. If you claim one of these exceptions, you must submit the documentation required instead of a tax return. See the Exceptions Tables beginning on page 6.
  3. The original documents, or certified or notarized copies of documents, that substantiate the information provided on the Form W-7. The supporting documentation must be consistent with the applicant's information provided on Form W-7. For example, the name, date of birth, and country(ies) of citizenship must be the same as on Form W-7, lines 1a, 4, and 6a.

taxtip.gif To avoid any loss of your documents, it is suggested you do not submit the original documentation.

You can submit copies of original documents if you do any of the following.

• Have the copies certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record.
  • Have the copies notarized by a U.S. notary public legally authorized within his or her local jurisdiction to certify that the document is a true copy of the original. To do this, the notary must see the valid, unaltered, original document and verify that the copy conforms to the original. Consular offices at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to the foreign authority that issued the document.
  • Have the copies notarized by a foreign notary. However, foreign notaries are only acceptable as outlined by the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the Convention. A certification will be issued in the form of an “apostille,” which will be attached to the copy of the document. If the document originates in a country that is not party to the Convention, applicants should have the document certified by the foreign authority that issued it.

Note.

The apostille must stay attached to the copy of the document when it is sent to the IRS.

caution.gifPhotocopies of documents must bear an original authentic certified or notarized seal/stamp placed there by the proper authority. Photocopies of previously notarized or certified documents are not acceptable and will be returned to the applicant.

taxtip.gifOriginal documents you submit will be returned to you at the mailing address shown on your Form W-7. You do not need to provide a return envelope. If your original documents are not returned within 60 days, you can call the IRS (see Telephone help above). Copies of documents will not be returned. If you will need your documents for any purpose within 60 days of submitting your ITIN application, you may wish to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. See Where To Apply on page 3. Your documents will be reviewed by an IRS employee in this office and returned to you immediately.

If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport), you do not need to submit any other documents. Otherwise, you must submit at least two of the documents listed below. The documents must be current*, verify your identity (that is, contain your name), and support your claim of foreign status. If you submit copies of documents that display information on both sides, copies of both the front and back must be attached to the Form W-7. At least one document must contain your photograph, but a photograph is not required if documents are submitted for a dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a student). Do not attach expired documents.

*Current documents are:

• Civil birth certificates—since civil birth certificates do not contain an expiration date, they are considered current at all times.
  • Passports and national identification cards—these documents will be considered current only if their expiration date has not passed prior to the date the Form W-7 is submitted.
  • School and medical records—these documents are valid for dependents under the age of 14 (under age 18 if a student) and are considered current only if the date shown on the document is not more than 1 year prior to the date the Form W-7 is submitted.

Supporting Documentation Can be used to establish: Foreign status Identity Passport (the only stand-alone document) x x U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification x x Visa issued by U.S. Department of State x x U.S. driver's license x U.S. military identification card x Foreign driver's license x Foreign military identification card x x National identification card (must be current and contain name, photograph, address, date of birth, and expiration date) x x U.S. state identification card x Foreign voter's registration card x x Civil birth certificate x* x Medical records (valid only for dependents under age 14 (under age 18 if a student)) x* x School records (valid only for dependents under age 14 (under age 18 if a student)) x* x * Can be used to establish foreign status only if they are foreign documents.

Note that the MC is not listed as marriage is not required to be proven, only foreign citizeship and ID. Two docs must be submitted unless using the passport. A US notary is required. An RP notary will not be accepted. I'm told the Consulate/Embassy will not notarize a copy of the passport as it is a foreign document. That's where the $50 comes in. Just mail the passport with the tax return and you'll get it back pretty fast.

Headshot

Be that as it may, when I talked with the IRS on the phone, they told me to send the marriage certificate (I was filing married-joint return). I did and they assigned my wife an ITIN. Now that you guys reminded me, I also sent a certified copy of her birth certificate. I called the IRS help line, and they told me what to send. My wife now has an SSN, so it doesn't matter to me anymore, but that was how it went for me.

SkyMan

I think the rules changed since then as they mentioned the new streamlined shortened list of acceptable docs and that one of the docs must have a picture. The interesting thing is that you must show proof of citizenship and ID. No mention of marriage at all. So any single guy here can get some docs for some girl and claim married filing jointy.

David Spicer

Recieved this yesterday from John Domingo at the US Consular Office:

Dear Fellow Americans,

We will have an outreach for SSA on February 22nd, Wednesday and February 23 Thursday. The outreach will start at 10am and end at 2pm on both days. Please put these two dates in your calendar and if there are Americans who are not on my e-mail list please inform them about the outreach.

Best regards to all of you

John

Experienced
Recieved this yesterday from John Domingo at the US Consular Office: Dear Fellow Americans, We will have an outreach for SSA on February 22nd, Wednesday and February 23 Thursday. The outreach will start at 10am and end at 2pm on both days. Please put these two dates in your calendar and if there are Americans who are not on my e-mail list please inform them about the outreach. Best regards to all of you John

Would SSA be Social Security Administration? You think there might be expedited processing of SSN requests? Or ITIN numbers? I need both.