Appraising the Emerald Stone in Natural Form

senseless

Was it broken from a larger rock? While it is always possible there is a "mother" crystal in the stone, most gem-type crystals grow as individual crystals in a matrix material, which is what this looks like to me.

IMO, it's from a shipwreck. See post #35

I know there a bunch of divers on here. I'm curious to see if any of them would agree with me. Anyone who's even seen metal at a ship wreck underwater after 100 years or so should know what i'm talking about.

If it is concretion, he should be able to dissolve it so only the gems are left.

Edited by senseless
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Esoy

• Davaoeno

• Jess Bartone

• TheMatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow! What an interesting thread. And man, if Esoy is a scammer he has his work cut out for him. A little intro- I am a gemologist in Bangkok and have a Filipina wife who works with me in the busine

personally i would leave it to the experts because there could be a massive stone inside the rock and if you start chopping away you could affect the value of the rock .

I think Esoy would have a bit of trouble scamming anyone on this site. Our long-standing, proud tradition of entrenched cynicism and dyed in wool pessimism would make this a tough audience to run any

Do you still have a link to the article? That's pretty amazing.

No, Im sorry it was almost certainly in print form. but two minutes research int google found this :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2976623/Road-dust-can-be-turned-to-platinum.html for the overall piucture

http://www.greenhealthwatch.com/newsstories/newstransport/platinum-in-road-dust.html says 200ppb is the threshold for a mine (although they say top for dust is 33)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004896970300490X which I think says it goes up to 100 ppb (I cant be bothered doing the conversion)

good luck with your further research

Justin Kredible

From the picture, it is not a concretion. And although not hi-res, it does appear to be in a very nice matrix.

You got to tell us the story someday.

:P

• Like 2
Ozepete

I truly doubt it is emerald. I can't find any history of emeralds being located or mined in the Philippines.

The only emerald that can be found here is Emerald Avenue in Pasig City.

Most ''emeralds'', are mined in Colombia. Emeralds are also found in India, South Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russia, Zimbabwe and North Carolina... but not the Philippines.

Here are some raw emerald images for your review:

http://tinyurl.com/7bc6vkl

Steve, your link is to mostly stones that have been cleaned, graded and classed ready for the buyers.

That shown in the OP is quite typical of gem material in the rough. He is best to not touch it as any attempt to free individual stones from the host material could be costly.

I spent 11.5 years at Mintabie and Lambina opal fields in the top of South Aust. open cut mining for opal with four of my sons and while opal is formed differently, I can say that there is no way of telling the value or otherwise from what we have seen here. He needs to be very very careful, he could be onto something incredible or nothing. unfortunately the later is more likely but who knows.

Years ago a good mining mate of mine thought he had made a killing when he sold "a sucker tourist" two twenty litre drums of what he thought was black barry crap opal for $1750.00.. He later found out that the guy cleaned the parcel, got it classed and sold it for over $1.9mil.at Lightning Ridge It was a lesson well learn't but didn't stop my mate Sarg being pissed off with himself, at least until he found the next lot!! It's a fickle game!

• Like 2

It was not easy moving this piece? How much does this thing weigh? Was it broken from a larger rock? While it is always possible there is a "mother" crystal in the stone, most gem-type crystals grow as individual crystals in a matrix material, which is what this looks like to me. Chances are good that not all of the crystals will actually be gem quality, so it is important to get a dark green crystal to have it appraised. Oh...and just because emeralds haven't been mined in the Philippine before doesn't mean they aren't here. The emeralds coming from the Carolinas in the US weren't even discovered until about twenty years ago, and now some of the highest quality emeralds in the world come from there.

Interesting to note a comment from a jeweler/owner who said, that after being in the business for so long, never did he heard that there were such stones in mindanao. Yes, amytheist, cetrine, blood stone, carnelian etc., but those who know where it is, use it for another "purpose" - sort of "spiritual stuff"..Interestingly you mentioned that this crystals grow - and mother crystals - they are aware of that as well...( It is something like as if it were alive or living...adding up to the "spiritual" impact of the natives) Before I search on for the "mother" I have to know what I have...sort of "sorsorers stone ??? Obviously, there is a scientific explanation to that.
TheMatrix

Interesting to note a comment from a jeweler/owner who said, that after being in the business for so long, never did he heard that there were such stones in mindanao. Yes, amytheist, cetrine, blood stone, carnelian etc., but those who know where it is, use it for another "purpose" - sort of "spiritual stuff"..Interestingly you mentioned that this crystals grow - and mother crystals - they are aware of that as well...( It is something like as if it were alive or living...adding up to the "spiritual" impact of the natives) Before I search on for the "mother" I have to know what I have...sort of "sorsorers stone ??? Obviously, there is a scientific explanation to that.

Man, I looked and hunted for cetrine for days all over the Philippines. I must have visited or called every gem shop in Visayas, but no one had the stuff. It was for my wedding band. I ended up settling for green emerald instead which was much more costlier than citrine. Oh well. Can't never find the stuff when you want it, heh?

Esoy, aren't you selling a few handguns as well?

If so, I will buy the handguns off you first, and then we can discuss the rock.

Seriously, good luck. This is movie stuff!

Oh, and if you become wealthy, don't forget us little people.

:tinkerbell:

My memory is getting shorter these days, but not when it gets to people who have helped me cross through the river...
Jess Bartone

May I know if there is anyone who is knowledgeable in appraising an emerald stone about 500 gms as to how much would be a fair value for this? Thanks emeSANY2210.jpg

After looking at the stone in the OP, then looking at a few other raw stones I reckon it's worth getting a little bit excited about.

VINCE80.jpgchinarough01.jpgemerald_raw1.jpg1294670512O3C04s.jpg8591923-raw-emerald.jpg8591919-raw-emerald.jpg

• Like 1
Headshot

Well, from the picture in the OP, the crystals are hexagonal. That would point to either emerald or green sapphire...either of which will likely be worth some real money if the crystals have good color and quality.

• Like 1
senseless

There are no divers here to say if it looks like emerald in concretion or not????

Maybe all the divers already messaged him so they could get the cords of the ship wreck....

It's definitely not a natural emerald formation.

Edited by senseless

There are no divers here to say if it looks like emerald in concretion or not????

Maybe all the divers already messaged him so they could get the cords of the ship wreck....

It's definitely not a natural emerald formation.

Not sure what you mean by not natural emerald formation.

Apart from the treasures of the sea(ship-wreck), (Surely, this emerald did not come from the sea or any other crystals - I have seen myself, that came from the similar source.) It is interesting clue to note if the myth and legend is true that there are "caves of treasures" indeed in Mindanao, much much more than enough to pay-off all the debts of the Philippine Government. For those who have very good history background, from the ancients such that even treasures come from the time of "Helen of Troy", (this sounded to me ludicruos) Hence, there are more to the stories than just those of "yamashita treasures". Somewhere in the depths of mindanao sea is Deuterium?? Sorry - out of topic -

After looking at the stone in the OP, then looking at a few other raw stones I reckon it's worth getting a little bit excited about.

VINCE80.jpgchinarough01.jpgemerald_raw1.jpg1294670512O3C04s.jpg8591923-raw-emerald.jpg8591919-raw-emerald.jpg

In gem shops you can see amethyst, citrine and quartz crystals in their raw formation, sort of comming forming from the inside and not the sort of formation that I see in the internet that embeds some other forms.

Man, I looked and hunted for cetrine for days all over the Philippines. I must have visited or called every gem shop in Visayas, but no one had the stuff. It was for my wedding band. I ended up settling for green emerald instead which was much more costlier than citrine. Oh well. Can't never find the stuff when you want it, heh?

I saw citrine crystals in a GEM shop in SM. They even make this into a miniature tree, sort of their "money tree" because according to chinese citrine attracts money..
TheMatrix

I saw citrine crystals in a GEM shop in SM. They even make this into a miniature tree, sort of their "money tree" because according to chinese citrine attracts money..

which shop was it?

esoy get 6 more posts and i can pm you the contact information for a gemologist that is a member of the forum though he's been inactive a long time

perhaps he can help you out

One more to go...