Appraising the Emerald Stone in Natural Form

well im headed back to uk in 2 weeks chop a tiny piece off and give me a picture that you got and ill get it looked at .

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Esoy

• Davaoeno

• Jess Bartone

• TheMatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow! What an interesting thread. And man, if Esoy is a scammer he has his work cut out for him. A little intro- I am a gemologist in Bangkok and have a Filipina wife who works with me in the busine

personally i would leave it to the experts because there could be a massive stone inside the rock and if you start chopping away you could affect the value of the rock .

I think Esoy would have a bit of trouble scamming anyone on this site. Our long-standing, proud tradition of entrenched cynicism and dyed in wool pessimism would make this a tough audience to run any

TheMatrix

I truly doubt it is emerald. I can't find any history of emeralds being located or mined in the Philippines.

The only emerald that can be found here is Emerald Avenue in Pasig City.

Most ''emeralds'', are mined in Colombia. Emeralds are also found in India, South Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russia, Zimbabwe and North Carolina... but not the Philippines.

Here are some raw emerald images for your review:

http://tinyurl.com/7bc6vkl

TheMatrix

I have been thru customs more than once. no matter where you go the questions that they ask are pretty standard . Do you have currency in a certain amount ? Do you have any fruit or vegetables. I have never yet seen the question " Do you have any rocks in your luggage". At this point that is all you have- a rock .

Hell yeah it's illegal.

They don't ask if you're carrying a pound of cocaine either, but that doesn't mean its legal.

It is unlawful to remove any potential treasure from this country which was "found" without declaration.

I know this because, as a metal detectorist, if I found a gold nugget, I would have to declare it and share 50% of its value with the gov't, yada yada yada.

Davaoeno
potential treasure

Steve - you are joking right ? Just because a rock is green does not make it a potential treasure !!

Its illegal ? Just which law are you referring to Steve- because for sure the current Philippines law does not back you up !!

Art. 438. Hidden treasure belongs to the owner of the land, building, or other property on which it is found.

Nevertheless, when the discovery is made on the property of another, or of the State or any of its subdivisions, and by chance, one-half thereof shall be allowed to the finder. If the finder is a trespasser, he shall not be entitled to any share of the treasure.

If the things found be of interest to science of the arts, the State may acquire them at their just price, which shall be divided in conformity with the rule stated. (351a)

Art. 439. By treasure is understood, for legal purposes, any hidden and unknown deposit of money, jewelry, or other precious objects, the lawful ownership of which does not appear. (352)

oh and by the way steve- they do ask you if you are carrying any drugs !!

senseless

You know what it looks like to me? A bunch of emeralds trapped in concretion. Perhaps an old spanish wreck from south/central america that had a load of unpolished uncut emeralds?

They do have that dark green color colombian emeralds have.

The image is pretty low resolution/quality. But from the coloration of the stone (not the "emeralds") it does appear it could be concretion. The coloration is somewhat similar to other concretion examples online. Concretion occurs due to electric properties of metal. It more or less grows a giant coating of rock around it absorbing nearby materials. If a cannon for instance is near by, the concretion will grow from the cannon and envelope nearby objects, like a bag or box of emeralds.

Or maybe they aren't emeralds at all. Would need to take it to someone to find out for sure.

Below is a picture of a cannon with a concretion formed around it. If you notice the coloration is similar to the rock holding the emeralds.

4362199776_9161d7fcf1_o.jpg

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1

all that glitters is not gold !

The pedant speaks: your quote is not correct either, it's glisters.

Davaoeno

The pedant speaks: your quote is not correct either, it's glisters.

YOu are of course referring to the Merchant of Venice- i was not.

If you want to get snotty and attack me at least get it right !! it seems you have a problem - but why bore us with it ?

Edited by DAVAOENO

Steve - you are joking right ? Just because a rock is green does not make it a potential treasure !!

Its illegal ? Just which law are you referring to Steve- because for sure the current Philippines law does not back you up !!

Art. 438. Hidden treasure belongs to the owner of the land, building, or other property on which it is found.

Nevertheless, when the discovery is made on the property of another, or of the State or any of its subdivisions, and by chance, one-half thereof shall be allowed to the finder. If the finder is a trespasser, he shall not be entitled to any share of the treasure.

If the things found be of interest to science of the arts, the State may acquire them at their just price, which shall be divided in conformity with the rule stated. (351a)

Art. 439. By treasure is understood, for legal purposes, any hidden and unknown deposit of money, jewelry, or other precious objects, the lawful ownership of which does not appear. (352)

Well, your quote kind of backs Steve up I think. It will be kind of difficult for the owner to prove where he found it, and if he's a foreigner he is toast.

When are you asked if you are carrying drugs when you exit the country. I know you fill in the form on entry, but I don't recall this question on exit.

• Like 1
TheMatrix

Article 439: Treasure can be defined by any precious object. I would say any rock with emeralds hanging off it is precious!

Further, it comes down to where he found the rock. Was it public property? Was it his property? I don't think it was his property because foreigners are not allowed to own land.

By the way, I have never been asked if I'm carrying drugs. I specifically carried some medicine for an expat and was never asked about. Are you asked about your drugs on every trip?

senseless

By the way, I have never been asked if I'm carrying drugs. I specifically carried some medicine for an expat and was never asked about. Are you asked about your drugs on every trip?

They don't ask the same questions to every person every time. Last time I went through customs they really mind fecked us by asking us our relation to everyone else we were traveling with. I think they have a bunch of questions they can ask, and they just toss out a few to gauge your response and nervousness.

YOu are of course referring to the Merchant of Venice- i was not.

If you want to get snotty and attack me at least get it right !! it seems you have a problem - but why bore us with it ?

No I dont have a problem at all. Your quote would have been excellent in the correct form, but as you made a mistake, it lost much of its power.

My favourite Shakespeare quote is "the rest is silience"; it would be meaningless as the "the rest is kinda tranquil".

The rest is silence

• Like 1
senseless

I can't find any history of emeralds being located or mined in the Philippines.

It really wouldn't surprise me to learn there are a lot of things here the filipinos have no idea about. I guess that's what they get for lining their pockets instead of investing in scientific research to understand their surroundings.

There is plenty of gold here in cebu. You can walk up and down a river and find quartz with silver, mercury, and other elements in it. However, I've never seen any good quartz gold veins (not to say they don't exist). It's all mainly micro-particulate trapped in the soil. If you look online, the only gold you'll find in google for cebu is the one mine just south of naga. It's an open pit copper mine that produces a fair amount of gold as a by-product.

Tons and tons and tons and tons of copper in them hills though.

I often thought about going back in the mountains, finding myself a good quartz vein, buy the rights, and mine it out. Seemed like to much work, so I never bothered.

I never took any samples to be assay'd but I'd also imagine there are a number of rare earth elements here as well. Scandium, Neodymium, Promethium, etc. Other symbols include Sc, Y, La, Ce, Pr, Nd, Pm, the list goes on. There are many things more valuable than gold by weight. Hell, even certain kinds of lead can be worth thousands per lb.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 2

It really wouldn't surprise me to learn there are a lot of things here the filipinos have no idea about. I guess that's what they get for lining their pockets instead of investing in scientific research to understand their surroundings.

There is plenty of gold here in cebu. You can walk up and down a river and find quartz with silver, mercury, and other elements in it. However, I've never seen any good quartz gold veins (not to say they don't exist). It's all mainly micro-particulate trapped in the soil. If you look online, the only gold you'll find in google for cebu is the one mine just south of naga. It's an open pit copper mine that produces a fair amount of gold as a by-product.

Tons and tons and tons and tons of copper in them hills though.

I often thought about going back in the mountains, finding myself a good quartz vein, buy the rights, and mine it out. Seemed like to much work, so I never bothered.

I never took any samples to be assay'd but I'd also imagine there are a number of rare earth elements here as well. Scandium, Neodymium, Promethium, etc. Other symbols include Sc, Y, La, Ce, Pr, Nd, Pm, the list goes on. There are many things more valuable than gold by weight.

Indeed. According to an article I read, the platinum content (from exhaust catalysers) in western street dust is currently around 50% of what would be considered commercially mineable.

• Like 1
senseless

Indeed. According to an article I read, the platinum content (from exhaust catalysers) in western street dust is currently around 50% of what would be considered commercially mineable.

Do you still have a link to the article? That's pretty amazing.

Headshot

It seems the next challenge is how to bring it out of the country..? It was not easy moving this around from source..perhaps to chip-off a bit and send it by courier? If indeed this is for real, I truly believe the Philippines is a blessed country - there is no need for greed, hunger or violence. There is more than enough for everyone; There is so much wealth in this country found and unfound...we can all be happy and be at peace, cheers...

It was not easy moving this piece? How much does this thing weigh? Was it broken from a larger rock? While it is always possible there is a "mother" crystal in the stone, most gem-type crystals grow as individual crystals in a matrix material, which is what this looks like to me. Chances are good that not all of the crystals will actually be gem quality, so it is important to get a dark green crystal to have it appraised. Oh...and just because emeralds haven't been mined in the Philippine before doesn't mean they aren't here. The emeralds coming from the Carolinas in the US weren't even discovered until about twenty years ago, and now some of the highest quality emeralds in the world come from there.