Appraising the Emerald Stone in Natural Form

May I know if there is anyone who is knowledgeable in appraising an emerald stone about 500 gms as to how much would be a fair value for this? Thanks emeSANY2210.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Esoy

• Jess Bartone

• TheMatrix

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow! What an interesting thread. And man, if Esoy is a scammer he has his work cut out for him. A little intro- I am a gemologist in Bangkok and have a Filipina wife who works with me in the busine

personally i would leave it to the experts because there could be a massive stone inside the rock and if you start chopping away you could affect the value of the rock .

I think Esoy would have a bit of trouble scamming anyone on this site. Our long-standing, proud tradition of entrenched cynicism and dyed in wool pessimism would make this a tough audience to run any

just googled it and can range from a few dollars to 40,000 dollars per carrot with is a fifth of a gram also depends on where it comes from .

just googled it and can range from a few dollars to 40,000 dollars per carrot with is a fifth of a gram also depends on where it comes from .

Obviously, it comes from the Philippines, but per Karrat means that is already processed, cut and polished, am I right? So there is so much wasted parts-dusts that have to be ground off.

Davaoeno

I used to trade in gem stones a bit. I had some emeralds that were already cut, and all green [ but not good quality green]. I took them in trade. They came with an appraisal for over $13,000 When i had them checked out i was informed that yes, they were indeed emeralds, but that a better description of them was " tailings" . In other words they were such poor quality as to be virtually worthless. I sold them for $75 . Learned a lesson tho .

Did i ever tell you about the time i bought iron pyrite ?? lol

• Like 1

well if you,ve hit the jackpot i hope you,ll buy us new friends of yours a few beers lol good luck with it .

Jess Bartone

going on size and the apparent individual crystals I reckon you're on a winner. Getting what it's really worth is another matter.

Alfred E. Neuman

1pc 1carat glasslike polished Colombian emerald I encountered 15 years ago was priced at 100,000Pesos. The common milky ones found in Muslim stalls average 2,000 per carat. The real value of your "emerald" will be how much your buyer is willing to pay.

• Like 2
hookedtothenet

Take it to a few gemologist's and compare estimates, it's hard to value something without having examined it in person and seen the quality of what you have in the flesh as it were.

Good luck with it, be sure to let us know if you get it appraised professionally.

how did ya come across it I know i,m being nosey lol

i'm just doing a favor for a friend who came from mindanao...
Alfred E. Neuman

Let him bring it to a gemologist in Manila if it is of gem quality.

Davaoeno

My guess ? - it will make an interesting paperweight. [ hope I'm wrong tho lol ]

Ozepete

quote name='Esoy' timestamp='1327630565' post='462083']

May I know if there is anyone who is knowledgeable in appraising an emerald stone about 500 gms as to how much would be a fair value for this? Thanks emeSANY2210.jpg

quote]

The value would be somewhere between bugger-all and a small fortune. Depends on many factors that only an expert can determine.

Your biggest problem is getting an 'honest' valuation from someone who knows / trades emeralds in the rough. There are lots of scumbags in that rough gem stone industry!

You would be best trying Singapore but look for several quotes and don't go looking alone.

Good luck