Watch Netflix or Hulu (and many more in the Philippines?) I hope this works...

I went to the site, it costs $4 a month. Money aside, is there any reason not to do this?

Much Thanks,

Bill

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

• senseless

• Smitty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well if you use HMN you get both for the same price. That's all I'm saying, everyone should have access to a VPN if they travel, and you get both for like, $50 a year.

VPN= Virtual Private Network. It is a tunnel between your computer and the internet. It hides and encrypts your data as it goes out to the net.   http://hidemynet.com/   If you have internet it

USMC-Retired

No reason not to...

All hulu data must be proxied through their server. Reverse DNS is irrelevant.

Does Hulu not use Adobe and from what I understand Adobe Flash will reverse it back looking for the best possible route.

Even then I think the proxy will look like it's the one making the request so the routing should just find the best route to the proxy, I guess. Unless there's something else going on inside that proxy.

USMC-Retired

Adobe Flash Player runs outside your browser it is not a incorporated part of a browser but just an inlay. So it has a different request that is sent. That is sent over port 1935 and 8134. Because this does not run as a browser item if you experience a slow down with speed in the browser then Adobe Flash will retrace and try a faster route. If that happens and you are using a proxy to by pass geo-restriction it can turn you off. Thus a VPN is better for this as all your traffic flows over it and not just a browser.

Senseless made the comment so I wonder if my thinking is correct for this.

Edited by Norseman
senseless

Adobe Flash Player runs outside your browser it is not a incorporated part of a browser but just an inlay. So it has a different request that is sent. That is sent over port 1935 and 8134. Because this does not run as a browser item if you experience a slow down with speed in the browser then Adobe Flash will retrace and try a faster route. If that happens and you are using a proxy to by pass geo-restriction it can turn you off. Thus a VPN is better for this as all your traffic flows over it and not just a browser.

Senseless made the comment so I wonder if my thinking is correct for this.

Adobe flash requests are just standard http requests. By changing DNS to intercept traffic and forward to the destination, it will work on any traffic, including flash. It works, It's just going to require them a lot of maintenance. I tried setting up something identical and it was just way too time consuming so I took it offline. If hulu or anyone changed the dns it would break the usage until it was updated. You're also relying on their dns servers to do all your dns lookups. If their dns server goes down your internet will stop working completely.

It's also not as secure as the op is stating. If someone were to hack their server, or they themselves, re-routed lets say paypal through their servers. They could scan the traffic and get your information. In the same, so could a hacker of or owner of a vpn service. In fact, a hacker of your ISP or the ISP itself could do so if they wanted to. The internet is all about trust. Who you trust to carry your traffic to the destination without manipulation.

I can see why they (service owners) thought it was attractive though, I bet they have no problems at all with DMCA complaints. And, they probably only have a single server.

USMC-Retired

Thanks. Asked and answered.

senseless

Anyone using a slingbox hooked up to a friend or relative here in the states??????

I had a slingbox within a year of me moving here. It fried in the first 3 months. Never bothered to get another. Read online, they're notorious for burning up due to overheating. I did like it's ability to stream based upon your bandwidth. Meaning, if you only have 384kpbs it will downgrade the stream quality to keep the frames up. I also understand they have a mobile platform now.

This day in age, cable and sat tv is on it's way out. You're paying 100$/month for mainly commercials. Most of the stuff you're going to watch are already freely available online from various sites with minimal or no commercials. Hulu, netflix are the main 2. CBS, NBC, etc have their own websites w/ all their content on there. Just get a vpn/proxy service.

Edited by senseless
USMC-Retired

I watch main stream US TV every day of the week. I use a VPN for this.