Watch Netflix or Hulu (and many more in the Philippines?) I hope this works...

I just finished the entire stargate sg-1 series for the third time last week. (Great show). No problems here. What exactly is the problem you're experiencing? What type of vpn are you using?

If you can maintain the bandwidth necessary to the USA servers then ya. You'd need to be able to maintain a minimum 1mbit to the US in order to watch netflix. I just don't have any personal experience from globe other than when I first moved here. Had a globe dsl and it was offline for 6 months straight without a single second of real connectivity. So I wasn't ever able to actually use it.

We have a 2mbps (harharhar) Click cable connection but it's nothing like that fast when peak use time rolls around. I was using the VPN built into Windows 7 and followed the onsite directions. The l2tp flavor as directed. It disconnects and redials, not sure why. I switched to HTTP proxy this evening and it was much better, just a few hiccups for buffering but not very often.

In a little while I will have a 10 mbps line from PLDT so that should solve the issue I hope.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

• senseless

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well if you use HMN you get both for the same price. That's all I'm saying, everyone should have access to a VPN if they travel, and you get both for like, $50 a year.

VPN= Virtual Private Network. It is a tunnel between your computer and the internet. It hides and encrypts your data as it goes out to the net.   http://hidemynet.com/   If you have internet it

If you can maintain the bandwidth necessary to the USA servers then ya. You'd need to be able to maintain a minimum 1mbit to the US in order to watch netflix. I just don't have any personal experience from globe other than when I first moved here. Had a globe dsl and it was offline for 6 months straight without a single second of real connectivity. So I wasn't ever able to actually use it.

And I'll bet Globe still expected you to pay the monthly bill too! On a good day we mit see 0.4mbit on a not so good day half that! Contacting them to complain is an exercise in futility. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they are the only game in town here.

Bill

1729769880.png

About 20 seconds ago, but it'snot consistent. Three days ago it couldn't even complete the test around 5pm.

senseless

And I'll bet Globe still expected you to pay the monthly bill too! On a good day we mit see 0.4mbit on a not so good day half that! Contacting them to complain is an exercise in futility. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they are the only game in town here.

Bill

Where are you at?

Yes, they wanted us to continue paying. I paid for the first 2 months hoping they'd fix it. Then I just quit paying the bill. When they'd call for a payment would just tell them I'll continue paying when you fix the line. They never fixed it, so I never paid. It's basically a breach of contract on their end. I don't expect there will be any issues other than I won't be able to buy globe ever again. Not a big deal.

About 20 seconds ago, but it'snot consistent. Three days ago it couldn't even complete the test around 5pm.

In regards to PLDT speed, I've noticed that either the modem hardware, the firmware of the modem, or the firmware or hardware at their end has some serious problems. If I get disconnected from the DSL link when it comes back I will have huge packet loss with high pings. If I unplug the modem from the phone line, the problem persists. Only a power cycle of the modem resolves the issue, which makes me think it's the modem. If you have speed problems perform a traceroute or ping a website to see if your packet loss is high.

In regards to the modem, I've tried removing PLDT's custom firmware and using the manufacturer's latest firmware revision with no success. I've got 2 modems here in the house, both have the same problem. *shrug* i've given up on internet here. These companies are hopeless.

update:

I will say, I've noticed the way they do bandwidth limitation is back assward. If you login to your modem after resetting to factory defaults, and after updating it's firmware... You will notice that your DSL line is actually connecting at a higher speed. Mine here is saying it's connected to the DSLAM at 8mbit/1mbit which is essentially the highest I can get at this distance from the DSLAM. This is a bad thing since it's pushing the signaling rate to its highest levels for your SNR. I think if they were to limit the connection speed at the DSLAM itself so it were to only connect at 2/512 or whatever your package is a lot of these disconnection problems would go away. My DSL drops about 5 times a day. If it rains it drops non-stop.

This also means they use software/hardware based rate limiting which incurs additional costs for the hardware and maint of said hardware than using their existing hardware's built-in functions. I'm sure their investors are happy about that.

Also, I neglected to mention. If your DSL drops frequently using HTTP Proxy is definitely best. Netflix queue's up the video, your net drops, then comes back and it continues buffering and the show never stops. It's pretty nice. If it were a vpn the vpn connection would drop with the dsl link. In regards to the L2TP connection if your internet is not dying it could be an MTU issue. There are some MTU change instructions on the FAQ for windows 7. But I would still say, just use the HTTP Proxy if you're just watching netflix/hulu.

Edited by senseless

Why spend $5 a month for something that is not a VPN but is some kind of work around? I'm outside the US and I watch Netflix all the time, sometimes we got two streams going at the same time. Not only is my family using the VPN, but 4 other people/families are using it.

I spend $5.95 a month for a VPS and installed OpenVPN on it. It took less than an hour of coding. My backup VPS costs me $1.99 a month and would work awesome for one family.

Well why spend $5.95 for a VPS? What data do you need VPN'd? If its just Hulu, Netfix, and a few video sites, you don't need to. This is slightly cheaper, and only SOME of your data gets routed through a VPN. There is also not 1 hour of coding required for this solution all you need to do is input 2 DNS settings into your router, or computer or console. You could also probably share among however many families as well by using the same email address. I haven't looked into that though and possibly against the terms of service.

It doesnt, it still proxy's a large majority of data through their servers. Hulu for instance, you're unable to stream without having the ip address connecting to the stream server being from america. All hulu data must be proxied through their server. Reverse DNS is irrelevant.

Yes, you are correct, I looked into it, and it does redirect requests directed to the sites they list to a proxy. However I found that they speeds are excellent for those sites. What it does NOT do however is redirect ALL of your data through a proxy or a VPN. For example banking, or any other sensitive data you may have.

What it does do is every so often redirect you to their page to enter in your email that you signed up with, when you enter in the URL of one of the sites that they support, to ensure that you are a paid customer, or a trial member. I suppose if you want to be sneaky you could create many different emails and continue to sign up for free trials, if you're too cheap to pay the 5 bucks a month.

So far it works well. But whatever solution you guys think is best for what suites your needs. I don't like directing all my data through a VPN (which for me have always been laggy or unreliable anyhow...the free ones anyhow), and I don't like to have to turn on or off VPN clients whenever I want to watch a moive. I was just passing it on, in case it was useful for some people.

Well why spend $5.95 for a VPS? What data do you need VPN'd?

Any time you are using an unsecured WiFi hotspot you should use a VPN.

Any time you are using an unsecured WiFi hotspot you should use a VPN.

Of course. But I'm not talking about unsecured Wifi, nor I'm sure was the person I was quoting. No one should use an untrusted unsecured Wifi for anything remotely sensitive (In my opinion, you shouldn't use unsecured Wifi for ANYTHING, its analogous to a thai brothel) . I think you are missing the point. If you think using someone else's VPN is the be-all-end-all to security, you are mistaken. I'm just talking about watching movies.

Of course. But I'm not talking about unsecured Wifi, nor I'm sure was the person I was quoting. No one should use an untrusted unsecured Wifi for anything remotely sensitive (In my opinion, you shouldn't use unsecured Wifi for ANYTHING, its analogous to a thai brothel) . I think you are missing the point. If you think using someone else's VPN is the be-all-end-all to security, you are mistaken. I'm just talking about watching movies.

So translating to simple English for those of us who stopped being techies when they killed DOS; are you saying when I check into a hotel and they offer WiFi in the room I should not use it? If not that, what? Tattoo does not work out here in the Jungle. Whatever shall I do?

So translating to simple English for those of us who stopped being techies when they killed DOS; are you saying when I check into a hotel and they offer WiFi in the room I should not use it? If not that, what? Tattoo does not work out here in the Jungle. Whatever shall I do?

Yes, if you plan on doing your banking, or EVEN checking your email, you shouldn't. But its up to you, when you are in the JUNGLE.

But if you want to be sarcastic, trust me someone with your banking password or even email password won't be. Oh what? That can't happen? Think again.

Or yes use a VPN (that you can trust)....but thats not the point of this thread.

Edited by AgentSmith
Or yes use a VPN (that you can trust)....but thats not the point of this thread.

Well if you use HMN you get both for the same price. That's all I'm saying, everyone should have access to a VPN if they travel, and you get both for like, $50 a year.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

The first thing is if the network is secure or not. The next is do you trust who secured the network. The next are you 100% positive that the network you are connected to belongs to who you think.

A unsecured network allows anyone to capture the data stream. Thus translating it into readable text and stealing your passcodes.

If the network is secure and you trust who secured it then your data can be relatively safe. It would take a hacker to steal your data.

The last thing even on what appears as a secure network is sidejacking. That is where I set up an identical network using the name of the company. (normally you will see two connections). Then all your data is routed through my computer or network. Then I capture the data.

Using a network that is unsecure is dangerous for anytime you place personal data on the net. Facebook Youtube Email or banking. They all contain data. Additionally it is a known fact that 75% of people use the same passcode for all sites. A huge no no.

Yes, if you plan on doing your banking, or EVEN checking your email, you shouldn't. But its up to you, when you are in the JUNGLE.

But if you want to be sarcastic, trust me someone with your banking password or even email password won't be. Oh what? That can't happen? Think again.

That wasn't sarcasm, that was blunt truth!

What is a VPN? Where do you get one? Who do you get it from? Does it work in the jungle? At home and office I use Globe DSL, should I be worried about that too?

Thanks,

Bill

USMC-Retired

VPN= Virtual Private Network. It is a tunnel between your computer and the internet. It hides and encrypts your data as it goes out to the net.

http://hidemynet.com/

If you have internet it will work not matter your locations.

Should you get one? That is your choice in the matter. Are you afraid your data will be stolen in route to its location. Globe DSL is not very secure yet knowing you are using HTTPS that will help secure your data.

VPN= Armored Car

HTTPS= Locked Car

HTTP= Convertible with top down.

Not to confuse you HTTPS is normally established when you connect to banking and other sites of personal information. However some sites like Facebook use HTTP (unsecured).

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Adding to that. Most people unless you are wealthy or have much potential wealth you have no need for a VPN. Most times your security is protected enough to thwart the criminal element. Ensure you have passwords that are considered strong and not duplicated on other sites.

VPN is normally used to by-pass geo restriction sites for the non-commercial user.

Most financial sites like trading or banking or eCom are secured already, but few people seem to use TLS to secure things like their email, and facebook etc are never secured. Most authentication credentials are exchanged securely, but not always. So it's just best to always secure your connection if you are using a public hotspot.