Watch Netflix or Hulu (and many more in the Philippines?) I hope this works...

So I started trying out this setup to watch the US Netflix site from Canada, since it has a lot more choices, and newer content, and it seems to work, so I thought maybe its a solution for some of you guys over there who are using VPNs services in order to watch these types of sites, and others such as BBC etc. Its a pretty simple solution that is NOT a VPN. It uses some sort of DNS workaround, that allows you to watch geoblocked websites, anywhere in the world. Keep in mind before proceeding , that this is a paid service that costs 5 dollars per month (although I'm trying to figure out how they control this, considering its done via DNS), however there is a one week free trial so you can check it out. That's what I'm using now.

Here's how you do it:

Go to http://www.unblock-us.com/?v=2

-Enter your email for a free week trial

-Receive email, and go to setup page.

-Basically what you are going to do is change your DNS on whatever device (Supports PC, Mac, iPad, consoles...etc.) you are going to use to view (or you can change the DNS on your router)....don't forget any static settings you may already have!! (write them down). The IP addresses you will use for your new DNS settings are 208.122.23.22 and 208.122.23.23

Thats basically it! You'll need to sign up for Netflix if you want to watch that. There's 1 month free trial, but its $7.99 per month after that. Hulu is free I think, and there's a whole bunch of other supported websites listed here:

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291570

Please keep in mind, I only tested this in Canada. Itshould work in the Philippines, but since I can't test it, you guys will have to be the judge of that. I suppose some draw backs could be regular DNS lookup lag (a simple batch file should be able to allow you to switch back and forth between DNS servers at the click of a mouse), but the upside is, that NO data traffic other than some DNS traffic, is being routed through any other device, or VPN than it normally would when using any of these video sites.

The following is a list of all the setup guides, for most devices, and common routers:

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/topics/133813-setup/articles

Here are some other general, and site specific FAQs:

http://support.unblock-us.com/

I hope this helps anyone who's looking for some back home TV. I am just new to this too, but I don't mind answering any questions if I can (once again keep in mind, I'm not currently in the Philippines), and I would love to hear how well (or not) this service works in the Philippines.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

• senseless

• Smitty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well if you use HMN you get both for the same price. That's all I'm saying, everyone should have access to a VPN if they travel, and you get both for like, $50 a year.

VPN= Virtual Private Network. It is a tunnel between your computer and the internet. It hides and encrypts your data as it goes out to the net.   http://hidemynet.com/   If you have internet it

senseless

The way they do it is to manipulate dns replies to your computer. Instead of the dns pointing at netflix's servers it points to their proxy server. They intercept the request and forward to the destination. It's just a proxy server designed to only be used with certain websites. Which means, it won't work for a site unless they configure their DNS to do so. I investigated it for awhile to add to hidemynet offerings. I found it to require a bit to much maintenance for my liking and shut down the test server. It's less clicks to setup a proxy server, then you can just turn it off right in the browser if you want; or setup a second browser to use with the proxy server and stream videos through that while another browser doesn't use the proxy server.

Yes their DNS is only configured to send only certain info to their proxy only from certain websites. That's why they maintain a list of sites that they support. You can still access any other site while using their DNS servers (I have them set now). Also you could make a couple of batch files...One would be to turn on their DNS servers such as:

Netsh interface ip set dnsservers name="Local Area Connection" static 208.122.23.22

Netsh interface ip add dnsservers name="Local Area Connection" 208.122.23.23 index=2 validate=no

And on to turn your DNS source to DHCP (for example) back on, you would use:

Netsh interface ip set dnsservers name="Wireless Network Connection" dhcp

If you setup a proxy server, ALL your data is being is being piped through a proxy, which is slower. This only redirects "reverse ip lookups" that a site like Netflix uses to resolve geolocation to a proxy somewhere in the US, as far as I understand it.

Edited by AgentSmith

Why spend $5 a month for something that is not a VPN but is some kind of work around? I'm outside the US and I watch Netflix all the time, sometimes we got two streams going at the same time. Not only is my family using the VPN, but 4 other people/families are using it.

I spend $5.95 a month for a VPS and installed OpenVPN on it. It took less than an hour of coding. My backup VPS costs me $1.99 a month and would work awesome for one family.

I investigated it for awhile to add to hidemynet offerings. I found it to require a bit to much maintenance for my liking and shut down the test server.

The issue I've been having with HMN is that I get dropped connections a lot. We will be watching CSI reruns or whatever and the connection drops and redials every 10-15 minutes. I'm getting a PLDT line that's 5x faster soon and we'll see what happens after that.

USMC-Retired

I have never not one time had a problem with Hide My Net. I am not dropping connections. I use the Dallas server. However because Hulu and NetFlix do not use bounce back you can just use the proxy and they both work.

I have Seattle, LA, and New York configured in my living room set top box, all drop and redial.

USMC-Retired

Try Dallas. Also use the proxy if you can or do not want a tunnel. It works well. I find it easier. Plus it works and I do not have to dial in.

I use net port blocker sometimes however not had to lately as Adobe will send a back signal and then it will not work.

Edited by Norseman

I will have to see how to make it proxy in Chrome, I've never really had much use for HTTP proxies although I've written a few of them.

USMC-Retired

For chrome I use proxy switchy. That way I can just turn it on though I leave it on all the time.

senseless

If you setup a proxy server, ALL your data is being is being piped through a proxy, which is slower. This only redirects "reverse ip lookups" that a site like Netflix uses to resolve geolocation to a proxy somewhere in the US, as far as I understand it.

It doesnt, it still proxy's a large majority of data through their servers. Hulu for instance, you're unable to stream without having the ip address connecting to the stream server being from america. All hulu data must be proxied through their server. Reverse DNS is irrelevant.

senseless

The issue I've been having with HMN is that I get dropped connections a lot. We will be watching CSI reruns or whatever and the connection drops and redials every 10-15 minutes. I'm getting a PLDT line that's 5x faster soon and we'll see what happens after that.

If you're watching CSI then you're watching it from CBS's really shitty website. I've had it with their player. I always have issues where their website just stops, have to refresh, doesn't save position, it's just their website is broken to the max. Sometimes an advertisement will just lock in position, I can hear the video, but the advertisement wont go away. Sometimes it just goes black. Their website is just a piece of crap. I think netflix has some CSI, but nothing from the current season.

I'm on PLDT 2mbit w/o issue for everything else.

Edited by senseless

So I'm guessing all this fancy stuff is not available to those of us who live out here in the boonies suffering through very slow Globe DSL connections....right?

Bill

If you're watching CSI then you're watching it from CBS's really shitty website. I've had it with their player

Actually I just threw that out at random, we don't watch it. What we have been watching are the Stargate series and a few others off Netflix. Netflix in Windows 7 x64/Chrome is pretty much all we use via VPN.

senseless

Actually I just threw that out at random, we don't watch it. What we have been watching are the Stargate series and a few others off Netflix. Netflix in Windows 7 x64/Chrome is pretty much all we use via VPN.

I just finished the entire stargate sg-1 series for the third time last week. (Great show). No problems here. What exactly is the problem you're experiencing? What type of vpn are you using?

So I'm guessing all this fancy stuff is not available to those of us who live out here in the boonies suffering through very slow Globe DSL connections....right?

If you can maintain the bandwidth necessary to the USA servers then ya. You'd need to be able to maintain a minimum 1mbit to the US in order to watch netflix. I just don't have any personal experience from globe other than when I first moved here. Had a globe dsl and it was offline for 6 months straight without a single second of real connectivity. So I wasn't ever able to actually use it.

Edited by senseless