Sign in to follow this  
RogerDat

Westernized bamboo hut.

RogerDat

greetings! I found a question on a locked post if it was possiable to make a local hut that was acceptiable to western people. This is what i built after noting the locals knew how to be comfortable here befor adopting western ideas. It is amocan over treated hardwood, foam/foil insulation to keep radiant afternood heat and rain out, (amoccan is NOT waterproof with wind blowing, and paneled with plywood. I trimed it out with copper boat nails to avoid rust stains, and varnished amoccan. it is a nice cool rest house, the design is expandable, a simple fan is cold at night. It cost about $3000 in 2009.

post-7667-0-48934000-1327303061_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-09525600-1327303090_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-53982000-1327303124_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-86292300-1327303159_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-00683500-1327303893_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 8

Mattfromnz

Hey Roger. Looks great!

Was that $3,000 including the foundation? Or foundation was additional?

Cheers!

jme

I like it, I will consider something like this as well or my other thread about the Nipa hut thing....

SkyMan

Very nice and it's actually smaller than my house. Hahahahaha

thebob

Looks very nice. Have you had any problems with the amacan/insulation/plywood?

I've always used a single layer of amakan so there is no space for the bugs to hide in.

Did you paint the roof? I notice that you didn't insulate it. Is it shaded?

ArieBombarie

real nice done has something japanese to it, but it is hard to find a place that is safe enough for such an open structure in PI

RogerDat

Greetings! I lived her for seven years in Mactan. If you leave it out, it is gone sometimes. (if he wanted to keep it, it would be locked up) just like the states. DO NOT display your treasure. High cement walls and barbed wire are an invitation to see what he is hiding. Get along with, and help your neighbors, and they will look after you as one of there own.

Also, I got a guardian who watches over me. Get to know him, and you will be suprised how quick the enemy disapears, then you can live where you want.

It IS supposed to have insulation, and a ceiling, just havent got around to it. The YELLOW paint on the roof is a very good color to reflect the heat. I should have used automotive paint, last way longer. I used Wood Shild on all wood and amocan items. You need to varnish the amocan to keep it looking good. It will last over 20 years if kept dry.

The foundation is included.

If I can find a way, I will post the work and materials list. It is too big to put up here.

• Like 1

RogerDat

Greetings!

DATE LABOR FOOD/H2O # MEN

6/6/2009 $1,950.00 $400.00 2

10/6/2009 $2,700.00 $600.00 3

13/6/09 $2,800.00 $600.00 3 $150.00 Over Time

17/6/09 $2,800.00 $600.00 3

20/6/09 $2,800.00 $600.00 3

24/6/09 $2,800.00 $600.00 3

27/6/09 $2,800.00 $600.00 3

29/6/09 $750.00 severance pay 1 man

1/7/2009 $2,400.00 $400.00 2

4/7/2009 $2,400.00 $400.00 2

8/7/2009 $2,400.00 $400.00 2

11/8/2009 $2,400.00 $400.00 2

15/7/09 $2,400.00 $400.00 2

18/7/09 $800.00 $122.00 2

$32,200.00

23/6/09 no work rain all day deduct 250 from severance pay ( men get full pay when stopped for weather related issues.)

Labor $32,200.00

Materials $90,509.50

total cost of cabin $122,709.50

$2,583.36 US Dollars P47.5 rate

$11.50 per SF US

Headshot

Greetings! I lived her for seven years in Mactan. If you leave it out, it is gone sometimes. (if he wanted to keep it, it would be locked up) just like the states. DO NOT display your treasure. High cement walls and barbed wire are an invitation to see what he is hiding. Get along with, and help your neighbors, and they will look after you as one of there own.

I agree 100% about getting along (and making friends) with neighbors and not displaying treasure (or even anything that could be construed as treasure). Good neighbors are your first defense against the bad guys. As for high walls, that is just one part of security.. Motion sensors and outdoor lighting along with barking dogs and secure doors and windows are also important. As for security, take your cues from your neighbors. If they have high walls and security measures, then you probably should have them too.

Also, I got a guardian who watches over me. Get to know him, and you will be suprised how quick the enemy disapears, then you can live where you want.

Tell us more about this "guardian" of yours. What are you talking about? The local Don?

BTW, that's a cute little cabana. Have you had any problem with water seeping up under the walls when it rains along with windy conditions? I had a shed back in the US with similar construction (built on a concrete pad that extended past the walls), and water seepage was a real problem.

Edited by Headshot

Davaoeno

snapback.pngRogerDat, on 26 January 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

either i am going blind or that post doesnt even exist ! Is it from some other thread ? If you cross reference things it would be handy to link them.

Since you are a supermod i assume that you are not commenting on a deleted post - since you would be aware that it had been deleted

confused

shadow

either i am going blind or that post doesnt even exist ! Is it from some other thread ? If you cross reference things it would be handy to link them.

I see it as post #7 of this thread.

Larry in Dumaguete

shadow

but it is hard to find a place that is safe enough for such an open structure in PI

You really should try to get out more!

:P

Larry in Dumaguete

digiteye

Its here, just eyes need to be open.

Headshot

Since you are a supermod i assume that you are not commenting on a deleted post - since you would be aware that it had been deleted

confused

Follow the back arrow on the quote and you will realise the post quoted has not been deleted.

Headshot

I see it as post #7 of this thread.

Larry in Dumaguete

Yep!