Advice: What kind of Camera takes pictures like this?

TheMatrix

I don't know if these types of images have been around forever or not, but I started noticing them about a year ago.

I am fascinated with the image quality at how the camera focuses on the subject but blurs the background. My pocket camera does not do that.

Is this a recent feature of the fancy cameras? I think they are called DSLR camera? I was in Hong Kong recently and almost bought the Sony NEX-3 camera below: Does anyone know if this camera will take pictures with the subject focused and everything else blurred? (examples below)

sony-nex-5-photos-12.jpg

dslr01.jpg

272611773_de29bd9944.jpg

nikond80_mirror.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• Cipro

• Art

• Experienced

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The effect is called Depth of Field and cameras have been doing it forever. Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras have interchangeable and adjustable lens so they can give you diferent focal lengths whi

Hi Steve,   Depth of field is controlled by having a large sensor and large (or numerically small) aperture. Shutter speed controls motion blur.   For best results use a f2.8 or numerically small

Bob Atkins has forgotten more about the physics of photography than all us combined will ever know, here are a few links.

Posted Images

TheMatrix

My Canon D40 does that no problem.

Thanks Bill. Is that a special setting? Or, does it take pictures like those with automatic default settings? In other words, do I have to take a class on photography to shoot that quality?

AlooGobi

if you have a manual override on your camera and just focus youself on the portion in the field of view ,you will have it,its called "depth of field" i think

Steve, check out depth of field and focus (just google it as there are tons of great sites describing the effects and control of depth of field when taking pix). Using any camera that you can control the F stop and speed, you can control the depth of field. On most automatic cameras its the little P setting. I have a very cheap Canon point and shoot, you can certainly do it with that, so yours is a for sure.

The effect is called Depth of Field and cameras have been doing it forever. Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras have interchangeable and adjustable lens so they can give you diferent focal lengths which give you different depths of field. All you need is a camera where you can change the focal distance through the aperture settings . The F stops on the lens. The amount of available light, the shutter speed, the distance and the focal point all affect the outcome. You need to understand a little about these things so you can adjust things to get the result you want.

I forgot to include shutter speed old age grrrrrrrr

Edited by Art
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

Depth of field is controlled by having a large sensor and large (or numerically small) aperture. Shutter speed controls motion blur.

For best results use a f2.8 or numerically smaller aperture lens and a full frame dSLR, like my Canon EOS 5Dmk2. I would be happy to assist any way I can.

• Like 1

Reading a review on the Sony nex 3 it has a feature called background defocus which suggests to me that the camera is not able to do it manually but has it as an extra automatic feature which may not give you artistic control but will give you something like what you want without needing to think about it.

Bob Atkins has forgotten more about the physics of photography than all us combined will ever know, here are a few links.

• Like 1
TheMatrix

Okay, thanks guys. I think I got it. I don't want to get a bulky camera, but still be able to get that quality of shot with a compact camera and interested in the NEX-3 below.

So I will be heading back to Hong Kong soon and want to buy this camera while there. The description says it is "DSLR-Like". Not sure what that means, but reading the Amazon reviews on this camera, it seems to be able to do the job. This review seems to say it all so I'm convinced this is a capable camera:

(review): http://www.amazon.co...#R3U754B8IQ97QM <-- is it really the perfect camera?

1299274155_173083704_1-Fotos-de--OFERTA-Excelente-camara-digital-semi-profesional-Sony-Alpha-NEX3.jpg

$380

Sony NEX-3 14MP DSLR-Like Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens

sony-alpha-nex-3.jpg

sony-nex-zeiss-24mm.jpg

scoobie007

Best way to understand the depth of field principle is to get some hands on experience Steve. I'm always about somewhere in Cebu taking Photos. If you fancy coming out some time you can borrow one of my cameras and try a range of lenses.....I'm at Iloilo this weekend shooting the Dinagyang festival, but free anytime next week, will PM you my mobile.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

hi steve,

maybe your pocket camera can also give the effect you are looking for with a change of settings? we use a nikon coolpix 4500 for our watch biz and it's just a basic cheap camera. i know zip about photography but this is how most of our pics look, and they have the effect you are looking for.

(sorry about the hairy wrist, just focus on the watch) :D

post-4506-0-86496100-1326879802_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
TheMatrix

Best way to understand the depth of field principle is to get some hands on experience Steve. I'm always about somewhere in Cebu taking Photos. If you fancy coming out some time you can borrow one of my cameras and try a range of lenses.....I'm at Iloilo this weekend shooting the Dinagyang festival, but free anytime next week, will PM you my mobile.

Thanks! I've seen your blog. Wow! You have some amazing pictures there! I like to take you up on your offer of spending some time with you. But, I need to get a good camera first. I don't believe my existing camera: Fujifilm J28 is capable of these types of shots. Is there a recommended beginner camera without breaking the bank?

Hi Steve

On your existing camera if it has auto settings try picking the sports setting to take portrait photos with a blurred background. It should increase the shutter speed and widen the aperture to compensate which will reduce the area in focus in front and behind the person you focus on. Or use manual override as mentioned above if you have that option.

Secondly I recommend the 'Pattaya Days' blog. http://www.pattayadays.com/ It is not a 'naughty site'. The guy who writes it is a photo nut and also very witty. He has just done a review of a Panasonic micro four thirds camera which might suit your needs as it is similar to the Sony Nex. He also has written a free photo guide for beginners which is a free download.

Lastly, whatever you buy make sure it has a viewfinder as trying to compose a photo in bright sunlight on a silly LCD screen on the back is worse than useless.

Have fun and I look forward to seeing your photos on LinC