Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Unconventional pump boat part V

Bill H

It's been a good week on the boat building front despite the snotty weather. I'm very pleased with how she is shaping up. We've trimed the ribs back to the sheer line, begun adding the floors and we've added additional longitudinals to the bow and next the stern. The additional longitudinals will strengthen the bow when it goes into waves they also strengthen the entire boat and make it stiffer. We've also been experimenting with different types of epoxy glues to see which one we like the best. At this juncture I think we'll be going with Pioneer #7 laminating epoxy for all the structural work, but I'm not sure if we'll use that for laminating the multiple layers of plywood sheets, we'll see on that. We have one more type to try first.

I'm also including a couple of shots of the interior framing. It's not yet finished, but it gives you a feel for how it will look.

Once we've finished adding additional ribs and longitudinals to the stern, we'll add the deck framing for the bow and stern. Once that is finished we're ready to skin the boat with two layers of 1/4" plywood. Why do that instead of just one 1/2" piece? After all there is a lot more labor involved, plus the cost of the extra epoxy glue. This is why: We will overlap the seams. so there is no direct path for water to enter the boat through a seam. This is what we did on the keel which was made up of three layers of 3/8" plywood. The sides and deck don't need to be as thick, so two layers will be just fine.

We're also coating all the wood with a thin layer of epoxy. This will help to protect the wood from dryrot over the years. We'll be painting the entire boat with a special epoxy primer paint, but some areas will be very difficult to get to once the plywood skin has been added, so by applying a layer of epoxy now, we can be sure all the wood in the boat will be protected.

post-8579-0-87388100-1326445955_thumb.jpg

post-8579-0-26930700-1326446030_thumb.jpg

post-8579-0-76934000-1326446096_thumb.jpg

post-8579-0-65701300-1326446121_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Topper

Quite the project. Thanks for the up-date on the progress. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Mandala

Great project!, looks like you are building her sturdy, so this little "hole in the water" will be around for you to pour money into it for a long time to come... good job, thanks for the update

Justin Kredible

Dude. You're building a boat? That is pretty frikken incredible!

Uh, just had to ask: Are you building it in your living room?

Seriously awesome job.

:)

I checked parts 1-4, so I now retract the living room comment. You just have a nicer than average car port.

Edited by Ravenkill

PapaRay

Wish I had the skill to do something like this

Bill H

It's too big for the garage and I haven't been able to secure a larger spot anywhere else, so it ended up in front of the garage on the carport. My next boat is going to be 48' on the bottom and about 60' over all length, so I have to find a better place to build soon! I hope to have this one in the water in a few weeks, waiting on the engine to arrive may be the deciding factor on when it will hit the water. I'm building her to service my crab pots and fish traps, so she needed to be stout and have the ability to carry some weight, hence the higher than usual freeboard. The locals think I'm crazy not to start with a log and to build the sides so "high" but I think it will work just fine. We'll know in a few weeks!

Regards,

Bill

JamesMusslewhite

I am humbled...

broden

hey Bill

when do you start loading two of each animal?

• Like 1

Bill H
:biggrin_01: Animals? Hell no, girls Broden, lots and lots of girls! Then sail off into the sunset to see how long it takes to suffer a massive coranary from the abundance of physical activity....or something like that! LOL
  • Like 2

SkyMan

Very nice. Hope you're keeping good track of the costs labor/materials. It would be interesting to see what is in it.

I've had an idea about a pump boat myself. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take 2 identically pump boats and combine them to double the deck space with making it too wide. In fact, the outriggers could be shortened to keep it nearly the same width as a standard banka. Sort of a pontoon party boat.

Bill H

That's an interesting idea, but I fear the stresses between the two hulls in a seaway would become huge, so the beams connecting the two hulls would have to be very, very robust, as would the structure that supported the beams in each hull. Basically, what you would have would be a power catamaran. If you ever look at cats, the beams that connect the hulls are very robust. It would certainly be doable though, and it's an interesting thought I had not really considered before now. If you did it, there would be no need for outriggers, since the hulls themselves would become the self supporting outriggers. Hummmmm I'll think on this!

Thanks,

Bill

SkyMan

If you completely removed the outriggers the hulls would need to be a bit farther apart than I'd planned but like you say, doable.

Headshot

:dance: Animals? Hell no, girls Broden, lots and lots of girls! Then sail off into the sunset to see how long it takes to suffer a massive coranary from the abundance of physical activity....or something like that! LOL

Oh...you're going into the human trafficking business? Or...will you be telling us next that you are just doing all of this for personal satisfaction?

:) :) :)

• Like 1

Bill H
:)Well, I'm not quite sure how to respond to that! Definately not an Ark, too much poop to shovel. Human trafficing only gets you thrown in prison, where's the fun in that? So I guess you'll just have to accept that I'm just a hopless hedonist and I'm doing it all for the fun of it! :)
  • Like 1

Tikayem

LOL Bill, wait until you are ready to install Motor etc, the locals will tell you how it is done, i can tell you one thing, you must have patience, i got mine finihed last year and after they went out with me, they like it, the main guy that built it hasn't been out in it though. I see you are down the road from us, we are in Balamban, we will be back in a few weeks and i will get boat ready to go. Tried crab pots last year, didn't do any good, but going to try again, I was happy with the guy that built mine, for what it is, would really like to have a good boat here, (stateside) but that ain't going to happen.