Spotlights

SkyMan

I bought a couple two bulb spotlights, one for each side of the house. I wanted to put one on each side of the house to point a light at two corners of the grounds. I bought two bulb lights in case I wanted to point a light the other way but for right now just bought two bulbs. I got the on einstalled on the house, wired, and wired in the swtch. I put the bulb in and success. Soon it was getting dark and I switched it on to leave. I came back a few hours later and no light. I figured a wire had pulled out in the switch so the next day I took the switch apart but it looked fine. I put the other bulb in and it worked so I figured the bulb had been defective and I would take it back. That night I turned the light on and left a few hours. When I got back, no light. What am I doing wrong?

The only suspect I have is that the light fixture came with a rubber gasket for each socket cone to keep water out of the socket. Could that be causing the bulb to heat up too much? Seemed light a good idea to me but maybe not.

some spotlights have a cadbium cell on them that will only allow them to come on when it is dark out, does not sound like your problem, but something to check for

SkyMan

Well, I picked up a couple new bulbs, the ones that failed were Akari brand. The new ones are Philips and say they are made Poland. The Akari box gives no info whatsoever while the Philips box says that for outdoor use the rubber gasket is required. The 2nd Akari bulb had a small crack iin it across where the gasket met it and when I took the gasket off part of it stuck to the bulb, so it got too hot. I'll see what happens with the Philips bulbs.