crime victim!

shadow

There was a tourist here once that we got to know fairly well. One night the bike (XRM) he had rented was stolen from in front of the apartment he was staying in. He paid the owner of the bike P54,000, the cost of a brand new XRM in order to get his passport back to return home when his visit was done. Before all this happened, he had a spill and deeply scratched the plastic on the side.

He returned 6 months later, and went to rent a bike again, from the same source. And there it sat, the bike he had paid for due to it's being stolen while in his possession. Somehow it had mysteriously reappeared after he left.

Your mileage may vary

Larry in Dumaguete

P.S. I appreciate Whippy's reports as well.

• Like 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

• A_Simple_Man

• afmayer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, remind me to never rent or loan you anything!     Wow again, what happened to good judgement? I would say you are very lucky that the bike was all the got ripped and stripped! Personally I

Here is an example for you...  

Bailee for reward     Lets put it this way Whippy, if you rented my motorcycle and didnt return it - I guarantee you would end up in prison. !! Its no wonder foreigners have such a bad reputatio

Posted Images

udonthani

I've heard of scams like that in some parts of Thailand, especially the southern islands where more or less everybody has gotten into the habit of taking dozens of close-up photographs of the rental bikes to defend against geting called up for huge bills for already existing scratches and dents.

the contradiction is you want an old bike, because if you do total it, then you aren't going to get straddled for a huge bill - but at the same time, you don't want to get called up for the scratches and dents already on it. Because of course, you should only compensate the lessor for what the bike is worth WHEN IT IS RENTED. You don't replace an old bike, with a new one if you DO write it off. So yes, agree on a compensation figure for the bike - in this case, it was 15,000. Yes, the bike was that rank. That's about what the bike would have been sold for had it been sold by the lessor to one of his neighbors. Of course had the lessor sold it to some of the respondents on this thread, judging by some of these replies, he'd have probably got 30,000 for it - and good luck to him.

was the lessor ' in on it' in this case and was it a cook up from the start? I'm almost certain - 98% - that he wasn't. But I also think that if he doesn't know who did it now, then he will find out in the next few days. The community is too small for him not to get wind of who did it and from his point of view, he knows, even though they are guilty and I am not, that he's never going to get any compensation for the missing items from them.

Lighten up! The man got spooked (GF as well) in the morning, packed, hit the freaking road, and never looked back!

Now thats funny! I find that hard to believe. A man that travels and sleeps in a hut with no door would get spooked over a few missing parts on a motor bike, that was evidently a piece of crap to begin with. Spooked, I think not. Pissed, maybe. Responsible, yes. Victimized, who knows. Did he do the right thing in the end, yes! End of story! Next Whippy adventure please.

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

Now that's funny! I find that hard to believe. A man that travels and sleeps in a hut with no door would get spooked over a few missing parts on a motor bike, that was evidently a piece of crap to begin with. Spooked, I think not. Pissed, maybe. Responsible, yes. Victimized, who knows. Did he do the right thing in the end, yes! End of story! Next Whippy adventure please.

....a man that travels a lot,(I mean a lot more than the members) might have developed the instincts to get out of a bad/suspicious situations....... I am not sure I could! He did the right thing! Me thinks he is just "travel smart" and is frugal,,,,,,,,,,,,,that strikes me as very smart!

Edited by Mr. Mike
Mr. Mike

Now that's funny! I find that hard to believe. A man that travels and sleeps in a hut with no door would get spooked over a few missing parts on a motor bike, that was evidently a piece of crap to begin with. Spooked, I think not. Pissed, maybe. Responsible, yes. Victimized, who knows. Did he do the right thing in the end, yes! End of story! Next Whippy adventure please.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe he just has cojones! Next adventure please, as well!

Edited by Mr. Mike
Alfred E. Neuman

Okay Udo aka Whippy, report to us your Basilan adventure.

Davaoeno
When we returned the renter tried to point out something I told him that it was already there,

they try that scam here in the Phil with jet skis sometimes

udonthani

anybody that rents a jet ski anywhere needs their head examining in the first place, if only for the reason it costs more to hire one for half an hour than it does to hire a car, even in Thailand.

A man that travels and sleeps in a hut with no door

accommodation of the type I described with 'no door' is very common in the Philippines. Filipino tourists stay in them all the time, and sometimes foreigners like me do too. They tend to be like these bamboo huts, with like a covered reception area with seating, a terrace with a table, where people can eat their meals in the open air, together with the CR. The Vidar Family Resort I wrote a review about in Tuburan was like this and there are numerous other examples of resorts like this. Inside, is the bedroom or bedrooms and also a kitchen area if there is one (though sometimes the kitchen area is outside) and yes, they do of course have locks, and bolts and even airconditioning, just as the bedroom in the place I was staying in had a bolted trap door upstairs.

If you think you have to cower inside 100% locked up premises here all the time, then I'm sorry, but there's no hope for you and you should never have left home.

• Like 3
Davaoeno
anybody that rents a jet ski anywhere needs their head examining in the first place if only for the reason it costs more to hire one for half an hour than it does to hire a car,

I actually did that once but the fecking thing sank in the first minute !!

• Like 2
Davaoeno
If you think you have to cower inside 100% locked up premises here all the time, then I'm sorry, but there's no hope for you and you should never have left home

I'm willing to bet that that every other person on Linc except you stays in a place with a door on it !!

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Whippy save your self the trouble. Get your self and the bike a tent. Just think of the money you will save. Cozy right up on Colon street. I know they have a door. I would think it would be extra to not have one.

PetPupTent.gif

RedverzII01.1.jpg

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 1
afmayer
I actually did that once but the fecking thing sank in the first minute !!

LOL ... Cars can't maneuver or get economical gas mileage in the water as compared to jet skis either.

udonthani

I'm willing to bet that that every other person on Linc except you stays in a place with a door on it !!

accommodation of the type I described is very common here - you just never stayed in any. It mirrors the way Filipinos tend to live themselves, partly outside the house, but with an area inside where the bedrooms are and also where valuables like a television set may be watched. There's a door or door that may be locked in that part of the accommodation but not a door in the outlying bit. I like those sort of places, where you can sit comfortably and be open to the sea breeze or mountain air, no need for any fan never mind airconditioning, much better than any enclosed room. Bedtime, there's a secure area where you can make sure the door is locked as you sleep. I can't say I'm surprised you've never seen accommodation like this even though it's typical of the country you are living in. It appears you've never ventured far from a gated subdivision, and outside, have just jumped in between airconditioned nightmares of one sort or another.

A_Simple_Man
the type I described is very common here - you just never stayed in any

Then perhaps a picture is in order?

shadow

Well, if you mean all the time you would lose that bet. We have stayed in places without doors. Our own house has a door that never gets closed, except when it is windy. Our doors do not have locks.

Larry in Dumaguete