crime victim!

udonthani

1000 - 1500 peso should cover what went missing.

Thanks for the heads up.

absolutely. The guy has gone away and will come back in a couple of days with a quote I expect to be in that region. It helps a lot that he's a mate who can see perfectly clearly I'm not in the least bit responsible for what happened. And of course I'll come up with it even though it's not my fault in even an nnnth degree.

• Like 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

• A_Simple_Man

• afmayer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, remind me to never rent or loan you anything!     Wow again, what happened to good judgement? I would say you are very lucky that the bike was all the got ripped and stripped! Personally I

Here is an example for you...  

Bailee for reward     Lets put it this way Whippy, if you rented my motorcycle and didnt return it - I guarantee you would end up in prison. !! Its no wonder foreigners have such a bad reputatio

Posted Images

A_Simple_Man
The guy has gone away and will come back in a couple of days with a quote I expect to be in that region. It helps a lot that he's a mate who can see perfectly clearly I'm not in the least bit responsible for what happened. And of course I'll come up with it even though it's not my fault in even an nnnth degree.

So there is a decent guy underneath the facade. I agree it was not your fault, but, as you had care of the vehicle it is your moral responsibility (if not legal also) and its good to see you are holding up your end.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Have you considered the possibility that the Filipino locals may just have it out for you? Perhaps they just don't like you or something? :)

udonthani

I doubt it, but even if it were so, then why would they want to vandalise someone else's bike?

Davaoeno
But if somebody comes along and helps themselves to the mirror, then I'm not liable.
w

wrong !!!!

both morally and legally !

• Like 1
Mandingo

You can tell if a person has integrity or not by their actions, or lack of. If you borrow, take, receive or rent something from another you are responsible whether your fault or not. That's what a man does that has integrity, character and decency. If you do not then it shows you are of poor character.

In the end you can lose everything and be beaten down but nobody can ever take your honor away from you unless you let them or have none. Pay what you owe and be done with it.

Edited by Spacefalcon
  • Like 2

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Everyone on LinC warns us not to be scammed. Yet many of you would pay up on this with no investigation and with no idea if the stolen items are returned or if it is a scam involving the lessor. From what G says many things do get recovered when police get involved.

All those who thought Whippy should have paid up are ripe for a scam. Before you came to the Philippines the first thing you should have learned is not to be scammed. Ignorance is a choice, but I have never seen it benefit those who choose it.

NEVER PAY BEFORE YOU INVESTIGATE. How hard is that to understand?

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Everyone on LinC warns us not to be scammed. Yet many of you would pay up on this with no investigation and with no idea if the stolen items are returned or if it is a scam involving the lessor. From what G says many things do get recovered when police get involved.

All those who thought Whippy should have paid up are ripe for a scam. Before you came to the Philippines the first thing you should have learned is not to be scammed. Ignorance is a choice, but I have never seen it benefit those who choose it.

NEVER PAY BEFORE YOU INVESTIGATE. How hard is that to understand?

He did investigate. He reported it here:

the cop said that someone else nearby had their bike done the same way nearby a week or so ago so it's a gang in the neighborhood.

It helps a lot that he's a mate

So our Whippy rents a bike from 'a mate' that was damaged by, according to the cop, 'a gang in the neighborhood'. Sure it could still be a scam, but for the money involved I would say he has done due diligence. What else would you investigate?

Davaoeno
blame the victim when the subject of crime comes up

what a pitiful attempt to try and turn things around on an innocent person !! The crime here is in stiffing the guy you rented from !! I hope he files charges against you ! maybe it would teach you something about honour and ethics and morality - all of which your post seems badly lacking in !

Davaoeno
I now have an almost new Honda XRM 125,

hopefully someone warned the owner about you and he has your passport and 40,000 pesos deposit !

Davaoeno

Have you considered the possibility that the Filipino locals may just have it out for you? Perhaps they just don't like you or something? :)

mmmm maybe they read Linc !!

Davaoeno

• How hard is that to understand?

• Renting a Bike in the Philippines

There are quite a few motorcycle rental businesses scattered throughout the Philippines. Most of these are only renting scooters to people who are riding within the local area. The biggest problem is finding a motorcycle rental that has suitable bikes, allows them to be taken from island to island and whose bikes are in reasonable condition.

Rental prices are relatively cheap compared to most other countries, being about one-half to two-thirds less. The reason for this is that insurance is not included (and not available). If the bike is broken (incl. mechanical failure) or lost, you pay for it. Most rental businesses insist on holding onto your passport as an added form of security.

Before you rent your bike, it is a good idea to agree in writing on a "maximum loss figure". Also, make sure your travel insurance includes cover for damage to rental vehicles.

Mr. Mike

Alrighty then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I for one, enjoy and appreciate Udonthani's man on the street adventures and reviews. Admit it, a lot of you members do as well. He posted his travel experience, and did not ask for a critique! Yet some get all " self righteous" and tell him what he should have done. Lighten up! The man got spooked (GF as well) in the morning, packed, hit the freaking road, and never looked back! :)

• Like 3

There is a good lesson to be learned here. I have rented bikes in the past and I have always been worried about what would happen if I had an accident, theft etc and was skeptical about leaving a passport with a very simple agreement that I can't even remember had anything about what would happen in the case of theft.

So I know if I was to rent a bike again I will not leave my passport but might have a photocopy to give them and I will be sure to have everything in writing to cover in the face of a theft or accident so both parties are clear about everything.

Thanks for sharing your story !

• Like 1
SkyMan

If I rented a scooter and a room without a door which I wouldn't and I'm sure my wife would not allow it, I would at least jam the scooter in the doorway or at least park it across the doorway. I rented a scooter on Cozumel and the Mexican owner went around the fairly new bike to note any damages. I got suspiscious and went around with him pointing out any little scratch I could see. We had a fun few hours cruising around the whole island and touring some Mayan ruin. When we returned the renter tried to point out something I told him that it was already there, that we had not crashed or had any problems. He decided not to argue.

• Like 1