crime victim!

udonthani

woke up this morning to a bizarre sight outside the lodge I was staying at near Benoni, Camiguin.

it looked like something off a Sunderland housing estate.

somebody had stolen the seat, rear light, mirrors, and battery of my 150 per day rented Kawasaki 100cc motorbike. All there was left was this skeleton. One of the helmets was missing. Another one was floating in the nearby lagoon.

surreal.

but slightly disturbing. My girl reckoned it a bad sign and said, 'next time . . . . '

and I could see she had a point. You see, there's no security at the lodge at all. There's no guard, no gate and there isn't even a door on the cottage, apart from a lock on the trapdoor leading up to the bedroom upstairs. It's like an open plan bamboo hut. I thought well, if they can do that, and get away with it, then there's nothing to stop them upping a gear and just coming up and robbing us.

obviously Camiguin is a pretty sleepy place, although the big influx of tourism dollars has had a big effect in the past years.

we packed straight away and left. I even briefly considered leaving the island completely. In the end we just took a jeepney up to the capital Mambajao and got a room in a hotel there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

• A_Simple_Man

• afmayer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, remind me to never rent or loan you anything!     Wow again, what happened to good judgement? I would say you are very lucky that the bike was all the got ripped and stripped! Personally I

Here is an example for you...  

Bailee for reward     Lets put it this way Whippy, if you rented my motorcycle and didnt return it - I guarantee you would end up in prison. !! Its no wonder foreigners have such a bad reputatio

Posted Images

Stranded Shipscook

Sad to hear that. Still i recommend filing a police report, otherwise you support the criminals indirectly.

In case of Tiger31 it even brought some of his stuff back.

udonthani

the guy who's bike it is and the owner of the lodge between them can file the police report, as far as I'm concerned. It's obvious what's missing.

one of them has got a fecked up bike, and the other one has lost a customer. They're the victims really not me.

the village community is so small it must be obvious who the perps are. Even at 3am, somebody will have spotted them. The potential number of suspects is miniscule. Everyone knows everybody's else's business there and everyone will know what happened and who did it by nightfall. Not that this is anything in particular to do with me.

afmayer
one of them has got a fecked up bike, and the other one has lost a customer. They're the victims really not me.

Since (technically) the bike was in your possesion when it was stripped, I am surprised you weren't held responsible for the cost to repair.

• Like 4
the guy who's bike it is and the owner of the lodge between them can file the police report, as far as I'm concerned. It's obvious what's missing. one of them has got a fecked up bike, and the other one has lost a customer. They're the victims really not me.

Wow, remind me to never rent or loan you anything!

You see, there's no security at the lodge at all. There's no guard, no gate and there isn't even a door on the cottage, apart from a lock on the trapdoor leading up to the bedroom upstairs. It's like an open plan bamboo hut.

Wow again, what happened to good judgement? I would say you are very lucky that the bike was all the got ripped and stripped! Personally I do not think I would lay my head anywhere that did not have a door and locking system unless I'm armed to the teeth. Anything less is surely just a gamble with your well being and maybe your life. :)

• Like 8
Alfred E. Neuman

Since (technically) the bike was in your possesion when it was stripped, I am surprised you weren't held responsible for the cost to repair.

Most likely no written agreement, it's a small community as he said.

It is good that you left immediately.

A_Simple_Man

Now I know why some outfits won't rent you a motorcycle unless you leave your passport. Then I have to ask myself which you would choose, to replace the passport or the bike? Be careful answering this. Some who may be inclined to rent you a bike in the future may be reading.

USMC-Retired

Why did they just not take the bike. Sounds like way to much work.

Davaoeno

Bailee for reward

Lets put it this way Whippy, if you rented my motorcycle and didnt return it - I guarantee you would end up in prison. !! Its no wonder foreigners have such a bad reputation if some of them act like this !!

Mr Whippy the international travelling ice cream salesman gets someone to rent him a motorcycle for half the going rate and then stiffs the owner because Mr Whippy is too cheap to pay to rent a room with any security.

Not only would i get you thrown in prison - i would make sure you got deported and were never allowed to return .

• Like 5
udonthani

odd crime for sure. That's what we couldn't work out, why didn't they just take the whole bike. It was a piece of crap anyway, worth only 15,000 if that. I just got back from talking with the renter. Watched him and a pal tow the bike towards his place 2km away. The work involved in the robbing was not all that straightforward. There would have been at least two and probably three of them and it would have taken them 15 minutes at least.

there is a outside light on 24 hours that would have illuminated their work but also served to expose them if anybody was awake, even if they didn't bring their own torches. Somebody was awake up top until 4am, wouldn't have seen them but would have heard any commotion from the numerous dogs around who make a right racket anytime any stranger comes near. Not that this would put professional thieves off. They always bring food with them to give to dogs to shut them up and get them onside. It doesn't have to be poisoned.

the cop said that someone else nearby had their bike done the same way nearby a week or so ago so it's a gang in the neighborhood. They must have a good idea who it is. There was a rental agreement but there was nothing in it that covers theft of items from the bike, only the theft of the whole bike, or damage to items like mirrors, lights etc, from accident. Basically, if I'd have crashed the bike and smashed the mirror, I'd have been liable. But if somebody comes along and helps themselves to the mirror, then I'm not liable.

obviously if a renter knows that if somebody strips a bike and then he can turn round and reckons that he's due 10,000 pesos just like that, then he's going to want his bikes stripped every day of the week and might even start advertising for the services of thieves to do it on his behalf . That's what I told the cop too and he had no answer to that.

• Like 1
afmayer

Maybe he had the fork locked? lol...

udonthani

Mr Whippy the international travelling ice cream salesman gets someone to rent him a motorcycle for half the going rate and then stiffs the owner because Mr Whippy is too cheap to pay to rent a room with any security.

Not only would i get you thrown in prison - i would make sure you got deported and were never allowed to return .

security is no different to any of the other places in the neighborhood, none of whom employ security guards. Why not blame the other victim as well, who got their bike stripped last week. Oh wait. You wouldn't want to do that, because whereas when my bike got stripped, it was my fault but when there's got stripped it wasn't their fault the same way - because they were a Filipino. Are they too cheap to rent a place that isn't Fort Knox too.

you can always rely on morons on internet forums to blame the victim when the subject of crime comes up. They even do it when the crime is the totally inexcusable one of bloody murder, never mind this piffle.

• Like 2
afmayer
Personally I do not think I would lay my head anywhere that did not have a door and locking system unless I'm armed to the teeth. Anything less is surely just a gamble with your well being and maybe your life.

Maybe he had his GF standing guard duty with a bolo?

• Like 1
udonthani

Mr Whippy the international travelling ice cream salesman gets someone to rent him a motorcycle for half the going rate.

this guy just doesn't know what the prices are here. A shitty bike like that, a Filipino in the province like here would rent to another Filipino for no more than 100 - and possibly only 70 pesos. I was paying over the odds, at 150 per day, over 10 days. It would have been 200 for only one day.

I now have an almost new Honda XRM 125, a much better bike which is costing me 250 per day. I'm ready to pay the higher price for a better bike. There's no way I'd pay 250 for a total piece of shit like that Kawasaki was, even before it got stripped..

1000 - 1500 peso should cover what went missing.

Thanks for the heads up.