Killed for not having a gate pass sticker in Lapu Lapu

The 'shooter' wasnt a guard. He was a collector for the HOA (also a resident of the subdivision). He appeared during the argument, snatched the guard's shotgun, and shot her. Sounds like some good intent there to me.

Well spotted Mr Holmes. Another example of members (me included) not reading what is written & jumping to the wrong conclusion. This does show though, that patience had run out between the legal entity of the HOA & a Homeowner who was refusing to abide by the HOA rules.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• smokey

• Cary

• UZI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

despite that is was foolish of her and she obviously handled this wrong, it still does not justify her been shot to death. What is most concerning about your post is not so much what you say but the f

Steve, take some advice from someone who knows.   Regarding the first bold sentence above, it's not just armed guards, you have no idea who is armed here and who is not. Best to just bite your tongu

This case is also an example of how NOT to behave to people in the Philippines especially those that have access to firearms. Most of us would have just put the sticker in the car and said good mornin

• Admin (Retired)
broden

without having been there myself it's things like this that i wonder about... who's finger was on the trigger when the guy who grabbed the gun possibly jerked it up and away from the guard or if not a finger what might the trigger snagged on.

or did her just plain and simple take the gun point a shoot ..

Davaoeno

One of the first things you notice when you arrive in this country is the huge number of guys standing around everywhere with guns ! Sure- most of them have some kind of off the rack uniform- big deal. Give a kid a gun and he always is hoping for an opportunity to shoot the thing - its just human nature.

lazydays

You guys all realize that it wasn't the guard who shot her, right?

No, i missed that, but thanks, i know now.

It is possible, as I observed living in one before, that the sticker is being sold to residents for what I had to pay, P150 per year, and if you didn't have one then no entry was threatened. In effect, you had to buy a sticker for every vehicle and the nose starts to come out of joint with management when you know their stickers cost P20 to make, and they are making a profit on residents while the monthly association management meetings spends P4 TO 6,000 each month on Jolibee food and snacks, from association funds that come from you, the residents. I've seen angry residents, irrespective of however small the charge for stickers is, for being forced to pay for stickers. Many argue the point and display anger. Doesn't necessarily mean they are arrogant but maybe rather upset at fees foisted on them that are seen as unnecessary or excessive, particularly when management waste their money or steal it in the end.

Phil

Yes it is standard for sub divisions to charge P150 per year per car. The HOA has to cover ALL the costs of a sub division. This includes the grounds, Refuge collections, facilities maintenance, security, lighting etc etc. The bulk is financed from the dues but another is from the vehicles. Those that don't have, don't pay as they don't need to contribute to road use. On our Sub division some had as many as 10 cars which filled the street. If you can afford to run a car you can afford P150 a year towards the pay for guards to open the gate for you & to identify those that should or should not have entry etc etc. As for making a profit, the accounts are independently vetted by a Government Auditor & presented yearly to the Homeowners. The HOA members are not paid for the many hours they put in either. The just get the prestige for their CV.

Edited by UZI
  • Like 1
Wombat No More

Phil

Yes it is standard for sub divisions to charge P150 per year per car. The HOA has to cover ALL the costs of a sub division. This includes the grounds, Refuge collections, facilities maintenance, security, lighting etc etc. The bulk is financed from the dues but another is from the vehicles. Those that don't have, don't pay as they don't need to contribute to road use. On our Sub division some had as many as 10 cars which filled the street. If you can afford to run a car you can afford P150 a year towards the pay for guards to open the gate for you & to identify those that should or should not have entry etc etc. As for making a profit, the accounts are independently vetted by a Government Auditor & presented yearly to the Homeowners. The HOA members are not paid for the many hours they put in either. The just get the prestige for their CV.

Yes Uzi, I realise most of that but disagree a little... And even though it's a little off topic, it's still related to the possible problem with the lady that caused her death. I can only relate to the large subdivision I was in and no other. Fees are charged and collected monthly for the upkeep etc as you mention. No stickers for cars were required the first couple of years and the monthly fees covered all... Then suddenly there are stickers for cars and one had to pay several times their actual production value. Nothing to do with other costs of running the subdivision. I saw it, as others did, as purely a mild security upgrade, but, why did we have to pay more than the actual value of the sticker?

HOA members are not paid is true and that the accounts are supposedly vetted by an accountant didn't stop an awful lot of cash disappearing from my subdivision and nobody knew who got it... Members actually want to spend the time 'serving' although for many I feel there is an ulterior motive such as 'control', 'being a big wig', getting hands on some extra money and such. For other members they just want to make sure everything runs smoothly. I'm sure the deceased woman had her nose out of joint from the car sticker fees and it just made the whole situation worse when the collector was present and ordering the gates shut on her vehicle over her disquiet on the fees. It's not the money, but the principle of the thing.

And I wasn't aware til this post, that it wasn't a guard who killed the woman. That it's stated above that it was the collector and that he grabbed the guards shotgun firing at and hitting her in the chest , makes it straight out and plain murder. As an employee of the HOA, they will be the ones up for compensation to the family. The guard would most probably be blameless as even though he is issued a weapon, he has duties in a guard house that would cause him to put his weapon down from time to time in that guard house. How many police officers lose their weapon around the world, to a perpertrator. It happens and one would not expect an official from the contractor of your employer, to snatch your weapon. Another example of, rampant in this country, people who go power crazy with a little responsibility given them and an unrestrained hot blooded temper, also common here. The combination... big trouble

Edited by WombatPhil
  • Like 1

As we have seen reported more than once, these guns seem to go off without intention. Perhaps he just meant to point at her as a threat.

I don't see many fingers on the trigger and I look a lot. Makes a lot of difference to me as I walk through

the target. A few do it out of habit. One actually removed it from the trigger as I walked by. Scary stuff if

your gun conscious. I wonder sometimes if it's safer to not have a guard if you have to walk through his

line of fire several times a day.

This incident reminds me of one I had with a taxi driver this week. The customer previous to me had him so

pissed I think he was ready to drive off the bridge. We cooled him off quickly with humor but I could see where

these men could snap...without telegraphing any emotion.

Getting a sticker or being friendly is a lot better than being shot. I hate it when that happens.

the.lone.gunman

I suspect it might have been an accident.

1. Many of the guns I have seen here are junk and some that I have handled are unsafe.

2. Training here is a joke. I have shot at ranges here along side police and security personnel and they are not very good to put it politely. Some can't even hit a man sized target at 10m.

3. Safety procedures and safe gun handling are piss poor here. Most of the people I observed would get bounced from a certified shooting range in Canada or the US.

4. perhaps the shooter wasn't familiar with the weapon and he touched one off by accident.

5. Junk guns, no safety training, no experience shooting, plus stressful circumstance = someone is gonna get hurt.

I agree. Our Association does a lot and they get very little love in return. I do not mean the people are mean to them but they do no appreciate them.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
I do not mean the people are mean to them but they do no appreciate them.

but i bet they dont kill the mean ones ! :mellow:

1. Many of the guns I have seen here are junk and some that I have handled are unsafe. 2. Training here is a joke. I have shot at ranges here along side police and security personnel and they are not very good to put it politely. Some can't even hit a man sized target at 10m. 3. Safety procedures and safe gun handling are piss poor here. Most of the people I observed would get bounced from a certified shooting range in Canada or the US. 4. perhaps the shooter wasn't familiar with the weapon and he touched one off by accident. 5. Junk guns, no safety training, no experience shooting, plus stressful circumstance = someone is gonna get hurt.

Correct. As I posted about a month ago; the PNP caught a guy red handed and then the chief is spinning the gun around like a toy as he gives the interview. If they actually needed the gun for prints forget it but thats the attitude here of being like Cowboys in the Wild West in regards to guns. Its not only sad but very dangerous.

Julian C Thong

Whatever, there is NO justification to shoot someone you know over a rule. It is murder, if the report is true.

It said they had had a previous run in over the sticker. So middleclass pinay holier than though versus pissed off pinoy with a gun. Silly woman.

• Like 2
Hogan1950

Different, but similar. My sister used to manage the gatehouse at a small regional park back home, and would regale us with tales of the excitement entrance stickers caused. Every excuse know to man about how they had purchased a sticker, but didn't have it with them now. Most of it was funny, but............

She also told us many stories of verbal abuse, and even a couple of physical threats. All over refusal to pay a $6 entrance fee because they couldn't be bothered to make sure they had their $20 sticker with them. Now, no one was going to get shot in Canada over it, but it does show that the issue can get very heated even in the west. No matter where you are, there are people that figure the rules don't apply to them. Not a good idea when dealing with possibly poorly trained and armed people.

Not to say this woman deserved it, but from the story it sounds like she had been round and round before with this guy over the stickers. Suppose it was me, and I had just forgot the damn sticker when I went out. I would be pissed......at myself for being careless, and would pull up and tell the guys what happened, and do what they asked. Maybe just me, but doesn't seem like something to get all worked up about.

senseless

These rules only apply to filipinos.

When I'm looking for a house to rent instead of going online, I drive around subdivisions asking people "any houses for rent?". I've never had a guard (including grand pacific villas) that denied me entry to the subdivision. AND I DIDNT EVEN LIVE THERE!!!! Of course I didn't run my way though or whatever. But I never had an issue getting inside subdivisions to browse around.

If this had been a foreigner nothing would have been done. Could you imagine the backlash of a foreigner getting shot going to his house inside a subdivision by one of the subdivision guards employees? All foreigners would move out ~

The guard employee was probably thinking "Oh you think you're hot shit because you married a foreigner huh? here let me shoot you."

Edited by senseless