What are the Poorest Provinces in the Philippines?

udonthani

In my opinion, it isn't Mindanao at all, but Samar, that is one of the poorest areas of the Philippines

was going to start a topic about this. This comes up in conversations I've had with Filipinos and prize for poorest part of the Philippines is usually split between Samar and Masbate, depending on the criteria - I would suggest not just income level but also availability of health and educational facilities, infrastructure or lack of it, the state of and corruption of local government, susceptibility to natural disaster etc. Parts of Mindanao are indeed very poor but parts of it are relatively affluent too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I stand by what I said in the post you quoted, Samar.

But just because its the poorest, doesn't mean its the worst area in the Philippines. But I'm sure we all know that, because if we all thought poor = terrible, we probably wouldn't choose to visit, or live in the Philippines at all. Poor but beautiful.

dc3driver

I have been to Masbate.

My mother in law & her family are from there. We took a boat form Bogo to Placer, the boat ride there & back was fine. I would say it is not very tourist friendly. I didn't see another foreigner during the 2 days I was there. There is a hotel in Placer but we elected to stay at a relatives house & someone had the nerve to come to their door & demand money because a foregner was staying there. They told that person to hit the road & don't come back. ( my wife told me this after we had left) I think that family was affluent for Masbate, just an ordinary house, but they had 3 100 kilo sacks of rice in the house, I think they re package it & resell it. Wholesalers on a small scale. I have heard there is good diving there, but haven't tried it.

It was too short a time to really get a feel for the economy.

Edited by dc3driver
USMC-Retired

The majority are poor. Odd to debate who is the poorest. There are some Mountain Regions that many have not been to that are extremely poor. The Landslide area in Mindanao. Where Fanboat,s wife is from looked really poor just miles from civilization and the store came on the back of an animal. Just an odd topic to discuss.

Edited by Norseman
JamesMusslewhite

I know the smallest province is also RPs' newest little province. Dinagat Island is half the landmass and population of the next smallest province... I would be curious how it fares compared to the other Southern provinces?

endless summer

typhoon

my province after typhoon a few years ago people still rebuilding till this day,but they continue to live there (land of the howling winds)

What is poor? Some of the people in the provinces that had little seemed to be the happiest.

• Like 1

wow jme soooooo true money can not buy happyness

Although it is true that money can't buy you happiness...it can take you to the places where you can find it! :notallthere:

Edited by Topper
  • Like 1
AlooGobi

David Lee Roth(that famous philosopher lol)said

"money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht big enough to sail up beside it"

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

i have also heard overwhelming opinions from Filipinos that samar is the poorest and from what i gather it is a very big area, so i tend to believe it.

funny coincidence tho, the rarest and most valuable of vintage rolexes my wife has in her collection came from samar. it is one of only 5 known documented and authenticated examples in the world. who woulda thunk it? :D