Baby Formula

USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired
Tim, I don't know where you're buying the Nan pro 1, but we get it for 760 pe4sos...not 980 pesos. You can get it for that price at SM, Metro and Fooda. When we were giving her Nan HW the first couple of months, it was 980 pesos a can, so I'm wondering what's going on.

We purchased at Savemore and SM for the 1.3 KG it was 960 sorry got that off a bit. We have checked it is the same everywhere. Thanks I guess there is really no true answer. They all seem to be about the same minus taste and difference in mixture. Yet really kinda the same.

Davaoeno

Try not to buy the cans of Nan Pro . Instead buy the boxes which have 2 bags inside. if you calculate the price its cheaper by the box.

• Like 1

Our kid started off with S26, then when he turned one his pedia switched his milk to Gain, then it was Gain Plus. Since he was a hog with his formula milk, a big can of 1.8kg last one a week and cost around 1,400, it gets expensive feeding him! lol We switched him to Nido3+ just before he turned 3 years old and it took him a week to adjust to the milk, now he's doing okay and it really saved us a lot of money switching his milk, 1.6kg/box cost around 800+ pesos. Used to be 1.4kg/box which was around 600+pesos before Nestle changed their packaging.

We informed his pedia doctor a few months after we switched his formula and she seemed fine with it. It's really down to us parents which we can afford and know which is eventually good for our kids.

As long as your kid is not lactose intolerant or got allergies, I think it's okay to try which formula suits him/her and with your budget.

TheMatrix

Man... I don't know what I'm going to do if my wife doesn't produce breast milk for our baby. Every part of me is greatly against processed foods and that includes baby formula at the top of the list. Nothing comes close to momma's milk. This will be a major obstacle in my life if I am faced with the prospect of forcing my child to take a Nestle product or any sugary powered milk substance with inert vitamins which don't absorb. There must be alternatives to the powered stuff.

Is it common that some woman don't produce breast milk at birth? Why? Are there other mammals in the animal kingdom having the same problem? How do other mammals survive? It doesn't seem logical that a person or animal can give birth and not produce breast milk. I have previously heard where mothers don't produce enough milk, but I think that's subjective and I guess I would take my chances in having a skinny baby. I've had three kids so far in past marriages, and all three were breast fed... which are healthy as horses today. I always thought baby formula was for lazy momma's that didn't want to breast feed due to careers and believe the mainstream media that formula was nearly as good.

I'm interested in learning about baby formula alternatives.

Davaoeno

Steve- i know you know how important it is not to make her feel guilty at all. Believe me she feels bad enough already. Its not that uncommon actually. And just comfort yourself with the thought that a great many people over the last 30 years have grown up on formula- and we are doing fine. [ not to mention the fact that we grew up in houses with at least one parent smoking full time ! ] Kids are pretty resilient .

Edited by DAVAOENO
TheMatrix

Steve- i know you know how important it is not to make her feel guilty at all. Believe me she feels bad enough already. Its not that uncommon actually. And just comfort yourself with the thought that a great many people over the last 30 years have grown up on formula- and we are doing fine. [ not to mention the fact that we grew up in houses with at least one parent smoking full time ! ] Kids are pretty resilient .

Okay, I hear you and very understanding as to the reason, but I am curious to the reasons why a mammal doesn't produce milk for their offspring.

Headshot

We purchased at Savemore and SM for the 1.3 KG it was 960 sorry got that off a bit. We have checked it is the same everywhere. Thanks I guess there is really no true answer. They all seem to be about the same minus taste and difference in mixture. Yet really kinda the same.

I understand now. The only cans I have seen on Nan Pro One are 900g...NOT 1300g. That would explain the difference in price. The Nan HW was 980 pesos for 900g, so it is still quite a bit more expensive.

Davaoeno

For the same reason some people are more susceptible to some things , and some people dont have 20-20 vision, and some people have hair loss when they get older :stick_poke::D

Dont worry about it [ and please stop thinking of her as a mammal !! :ROFLMAO: ]

the Nan Pro boxes are 1.3 kg

Edited by DAVAOENO
TheMatrix

For the same reason some people are more susceptible to some things , and some people dont have 20-20 vision, and some people have hair loss when they get older :stick_poke::D

Dont worry about it

Well, you know me. I'm quite fanatical with being anti-processed foods. I don't allow it in the house, so in preparation for that possible day where it seems like it may become a necessary decision, I am considering options now. What was before baby formula? Mankind has been around for a few thousand years, but baby formula only a small handful of those years, so there must be alternatives. Can a baby eat smashed comote so early? Hmmm....

Headshot

Man... I don't know what I'm going to do if my wife doesn't produce breast milk for our baby. Every part of me is greatly against processed foods and that includes baby formula at the top of the list. Nothing comes close to momma's milk. This will be a major obstacle in my life if I am faced with the prospect of forcing my child to take a Nestle product or any sugary powered milk substance with inert vitamins which don't absorb. There must be alternatives to the powered stuff.

Is it common that some woman don't produce breast milk at birth? Why? Are there other mammals in the animal kingdom having the same problem? How do other mammals survive? It doesn't seem logical that a person or animal can give birth and not produce breast milk. I have previously heard where mothers don't produce enough milk, but I think that's subjective and I guess I would take my chances in having a skinny baby. I've had three kids so far in past marriages, and all three were breast fed... which are healthy as horses today. I always thought baby formula was for lazy momma's that didn't want to breast feed due to careers and believe the mainstream media that formula was nearly as good.

Steve, it is highly probable that your wife will not produce sufficient breast milk. First of all, most asian women do NOT have big breasts, so the quantity is down right off the bat. Second, a low body fat index (like your GF appears to have) will not only make it difficult for her to produce milk...it may prevent her from even conceiving. A woman's body has to have a certain amount of fat before it will carry a baby to term. I know you are very proud of her abs of steel, but you (and she) may have to compromise a bit if you want a baby. As for feeding the baby, if your wife doesn't supply enough breast milk for the baby, then you pretty much have to supplement with formula or something. There is one other alternative, but your wife should talk with a doctor before using it. I know a woman who used goat milk for her baby's milk supplement (to make up for the shortfall in breast milk), but I'm not sure it is widely accepted as an alternate to formula. Research it and figure out for yourself if it is acceptable. At least, it isn't highly processed. Before formula was invented, women just gave babies cow milk to supplement their breast milk, but many children became lactose intolerant as a result, so that probably isn't a good alternate..

TheMatrix

Ahhhaa... homemade baby formula!!

Not as good as mommas milk, but a viable alternative.

http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/recipes-for-homemade-baby-formula

http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-to-make-homemade-baby-formula/

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/homemadebabyinfantformula.htm

That would be my plan. I rather not have my newborn in the hands of Nestle or the likes thereof.

Steve

Before making such sweeping statements about the contents of quality baby Formula, I suggest you do a little research at your local supermarket. The contents are clearly marked. As a matter of fact Nestle has a very good reputation in this field and its products are the best you can find, they are not sugary and full of "inert vitamins" whatever they might be.

As Headshot has already pointed-out, some women can not produce sufficient quantity of breast milk for the baby's needs and those who workout prior to or during pregnancy are those most affected. My wife has never been able to produce enough milk even though she was prescribed Enfamil during her pregnancy, she does not have small breasts (her's are 36C) and her doctor has attributed her poor milk production to her workout regime (she attended Fitness First every day for 3 hours for a year and until she was 4 months pregnant).

And remember: this is not about you and your prejudices but the best for your future baby and you'll prbably have to make some compromises.

Edited by Markham