Baby Formula

USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

Ok I know we have a few doctors out there. You can PM if you wish.

We went to the Pediatrician and were told we need to switch to a premium formula. Ok so I did. I went bought what she suggested. However I am the curious type so I read the ingredients of the Nestogen Formula (cheaper) and the NAN Pro one (expensive).

What I found was that they both are made from Cow's milk as the primary ingredient. Then I read the ingredient chart and they are Identical. So then I read the run down vitamins and minerals. The cheaper Nestogen Formula was higher in a few things but all in all they were a wash. Ok so I give up. Most Doctors just say it is better for them. Can not explain why.

So my questions is why pay 980 peso for a package that I can get for 470 pesos.

What should I be looking for that makes these two formulas different.

Really I know many soon to be and parents have the same questions but did not ask. If you did can you please share.

Thanks

tom_shor

Normally the best food for a baby is his mothers milk. I wouldn't give him formula at all if he can get breast milk.

Another question I would ask is where did the milk come from. If it came from China I would never give it to anything living.

• Like 3
USMC-Retired

First point taken however not available.

The product is manufactured in Manila. With product from Australia.

CardiacKid

Some doctors here prescribe the most expensive medicine for ex-pats with the rationale that we can afford it. On the other hand, your pediatrician might have previous experience with both formulas and honestly believes the more expensive one is better.

CardiacKid

Normally the best food for a baby is his mothers milk. I wouldn't give him formula at all if he can get breast milk.

Another question I would ask is where did the milk come from. If it came from China I would never give it to anything living.

The reasoning behind giving formula even with a nursing mother is to familiarize the infant with it. In the case where the mother becomes unable to nurse, the infant will readily accept the bottle.
Stranded Shipscook

Ok I know we have a few doctors out there. You can PM if you wish.

We went to the Pediatrician and were told we need to switch to a premium formula. Ok so I did. I went bought what she suggested. However I am the curious type so I read the ingredients of the Nestogen Formula (cheaper) and the NAN Pro one (expensive).

What I found was that they both are made from Cow's milk as the primary ingredient. Then I read the ingredient chart and they are Identical. So then I read the run down vitamins and minerals. The cheaper Nestogen Formula was higher in a few things but all in all they were a wash. Ok so I give up. Most Doctors just say it is better for them. Can not explain why.

So my questions is why pay 980 peso for a package that I can get for 470 pesos.

What should I be looking for that makes these two formulas different.

Really I know many soon to be and parents have the same questions but did not ask. If you did can you please share.

Thanks

its not really about baby formula, but still valid..

I learned from small childhood on from my Parents to always look at labels and see if the content is equal in choosing any products.

I also learned later on, that companies manufacturing a product they mostly have Two (or more) kinds.

One is LABELLED "ELITE" one is LABELLED "MASS" - both are the same, but they simple want the entire market, meaning, from the wealthy to the working class.

Logically they also set up different BRANDS or COMPANY NAMES to "fuzzy" the naked truth.

That applies everywhere in the world and to any product.

One of my favorite examples is the very expensive and well known brand of "BLAUPUNKT" Car stereos, which are considered "Made in Germany", which isn't true because since the late seventies this Company is been in the ownership and production of then as "inferior" classified JAPANESE. Now of course they are made in China, as almost everything.

But they never changed the Price or name and even set up/kept German Offices to keep the "myth" alive.

Moral of the story:

Read the labels and when one see identical ingredients, buy the cheaper one. There is no difference between "Colgate" and 'Blendy Whitey" toothpaste.

• Like 2
hookedtothenet

Norseman,

When Our baby came out of Hospital she was on a combo of breastmilk and Enfalac (as that is what the hospital insisted we buy), but our daughter didn't seem to be doing too well on that formula, so we went to one that I was recommended by a top Pediatric Doc in Oz for my second son when he had trouble digesting the Wyeth made S26 Gold, the Doc recommended' Nan one HW' (Hydrolysed Whey), ever since we put her on this and now the 'Nan two HW' she has been doing very well.

Once we bought the Normal Nan one (Not Hydrolyzed) as we couldn't get the HW and she was a bit irritable and seemed to have more wind than normal, so we went to another town and sourced out the more expensive HW.

Not sure if that actually answers your question at all! LOL! But thought I would contribute with my experience with the Nan one HW product. :)

First point taken however not available.

The product is manufactured in Manila. With product from Australia.

Same here, our 2 week old just cant seem to latch on but we'll keep trying. Ped recommended Similac and so far so good.

Does anyone know if S&R have formula for sale in big, big cans? It would probably worth a trip over to stock up.

Davaoeno

We buy Nan Pro . We started off on HW but my research led me to believe that its really only necessary if the baby has some allergies, which ours didnt , so we switched to the none HW and had no problems

• Like 1
Headshot

We buy Nan Pro . We started off on HW but my research led me to believe that its really only necessary if the baby has some allergies, which ours didnt , so we switched to the none HW and had no problems

Same here. In addition, the HW formula has a bitter after-taste, which our baby didn't really like. We only use formula to supplement breast feeding anyway. We also checked with our pediatrician before we made the switch, since she origanally recommended the HW to start off with.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
Headshot

Tom, Nan is Nestle, and is made in Germany or Manila under license (I have cans from both sources). I agree whole-heartedly about China. Nothing that comes from there is fit for human consumption.

Tim, I don't know where you're buying the Nan pro 1, but we get it for 760 pe4sos...not 980 pesos. You can get it for that price at SM, Metro and Fooda. When we were giving her Nan HW the first couple of months, it was 980 pesos a can, so I'm wondering what's going on.

Edited by Headshot

Tom, Nan is Nestle, and is made in Germany or Manila under license (I have cans from both sources). I agree whole-heartedly about China. Nothing that comes from there is fit for human consumption.

Tim, I don't know where you're buying the Nan pro 1, but we get it for 760 pe4sos...not 980 pesos. You can get it for that price at SM, Metro and Fooda. When we were giving her Nan HW the first couple of months, it was 980 pesos a can, so I'm wondering what's going on.

All the Nan HW we've bought is of German origin and it does appear to be the formula of choice for many Paediatricians but only for mixed-race infants. Mae's young cousin had her baby a couple of months before us and he's quite happy with a much cheaper brand that she was recommended (not Chinese origin). I guess the thinking is that foreigners can afford the more expensive ones - and would wish to give their babies the best - but there might be a greater risk of allergies in mixed-race babies, though I've not researched it.

I wish there was a decent sterilising solution available here (like Miltons).

i would not be surprised that the doctors went on a conference regarding the high quality of the certain brand baby food in,.... lets say... las vegas..

paid for by the makers of a specific (more expensive) brand, hence, and therefore that brand is ''much better''

imagine next year the trip is to bohol, cause the targets are not reached.......

Edited by toshi