Getting Ready To Build The New PC

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Is it a 2 or 3 channels chipset? The 3rd channel doesn't get you THAT much but if it's there might as well use it, otherwise ... 8 or 16.

I went 24 at home because it was either 12 or ... 24, and i knew that 12 wasn't quite enough to run all those VMs from using a 12gb system in the office. At home my working size turned out to be around 14 or 15 GB, so I was confirmed as to (1) why my system in the office felt small and (2) I knew I could get by just fine with a 16gb notebook.

Most people will have very little use for anywhere near that amount of memory.

But it is cheap.

EDIT:

Each VM gets allocated between 1-2 GB so that's what I really "use" on a per machine basis. I just have the equiv. of 5 machines running on one notebook hardware.

i've been looking at some of the quad channel stuff

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Cipro

• senseless

• musicman666

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in October my video card gave up and I almost got another computer but decided to wait. Here is what I was thinking of buying a few months ago from PC Express near SM:   processor:

oh and the overkill is for two reasons yeah i game and i like to have all the settings maxed out.. and i now want to do that on my 60 inch tv   my brother gave me Skyrim for Christmas .. i've played

Yeah gfx cards are so cheap now..... I used to buy cards for my work that were more than the rest of the machine but now I just get the latest mid high end gaming card..... And yes the ssd card say 5

Do your self a favor, get a solid state drive as a system disc . I use a 60 gig and man am I happy, boots xp like nobody's business, Open office opens in 2 sec just remember to check system tools and off automatic De fragmentation of it....

Rune

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Do your self a favor, get a solid state drive as a system disc . I use a 60 gig and man am I happy, boots xp like nobody's business, Open office opens in 2 sec just remember to check system tools and off automatic De fragmentation of it....

Rune

yeah i am considering it

i've been looking at some of the quad channel stuff

Then 12 not really an option, if you go that route?

I'd go whatever the next increment above 8 is that will fit in your MB, 6 or 8 would probably be enough, almost for sure, but this isn't a system that's about "just enough", sounds like to me, so yeah, either 12 or 16.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Then 12 not really an option, if you go that route?

I'd go whatever the next increment above 8 is that will fit in your MB, 6 or 8 would probably be enough, almost for sure, but this isn't a system that's about "just enough", sounds like to me, so yeah, either 12 or 16.

i don't really like just enough