• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Cipro

• senseless

• musicman666

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in October my video card gave up and I almost got another computer but decided to wait. Here is what I was thinking of buying a few months ago from PC Express near SM:   processor:

oh and the overkill is for two reasons yeah i game and i like to have all the settings maxed out.. and i now want to do that on my 60 inch tv   my brother gave me Skyrim for Christmas .. i've played

Yeah gfx cards are so cheap now..... I used to buy cards for my work that were more than the rest of the machine but now I just get the latest mid high end gaming card..... And yes the ssd card say 5

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Take it from someone that has spent most of their lives behind the screens:

Keep in mind that second to performance, get the most monitor you can. This is definitely not a place to skimp. If you're gonna spend several hours every day staring at the screens, spend as much as possible to get the finest. I've spent a good part of my life as a professional trader behind several monitors 10+ hours every day, and quality of monitor will make a huge difference is eye comfortability. As a commodities trader, I prefer Dell's UltraSharp monitors. My charts are crystal clear and so will your gaming be without eye strain. Very easy on the eyes. They're perfect for my trading. The 24-inch'ers are very inexpensive now. The 27-inch is preferred, or if you can get your hands on the ultimate 30-inch, you'll have the best of the best. Here's a 30-inch on sale now in the UK with shipping to the Philippines if you so desire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250966740815

Don't let the current low price fool you. This monitor is highly desirable and will go for about $1k. I think the 30" is costing just about $1300 retail now direct from Dell.

monitor-dell-u3011-hero.jpg

i wouldn't mind a bigger monitor of course. and i'll keep my eye out for deals. but i'll be plenty happy with a 24 inch.. even if i didn't intend to use my tv a good portion of the time as a monitor. that's actually one of the reasons i choose the tv that i did

TheMatrix

i wouldn't mind a bigger monitor of course. and i'll keep my eye out for deals. but i'll be plenty happy with a 24 inch.. even if i didn't intend to use my tv a good portion of the time as a monitor. that's actually one of the reasons i choose the tv that i did

It's not size that matters. Better to sacrifice size by saying NO to that cheap larger screen, and get a smaller Ultrasharp. Your eyes will appreciate it.

I wish I had this advice from a trader when I spent a small fortune on my first round of flat screens. I learned the hard and expensive way.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

my tv has great resolution refresh rate and dot pitch, though i forget the exact numbers off hand they were all part of the selling points to me . and i've been very happy with every asus monitor i've had and the numbers on the one i'm looking at getting

Take it from someone that has spent most of their lives behind the screens:

Keep in mind that second to performance, get the most monitor you can. This is definitely not a place to skimp. If you're gonna spend several hours every day staring at the screens, spend as much as possible to get the finest. I've spent a good part of my life as a professional trader behind several monitors 10+ hours every day, and quality of monitor will make a huge difference is eye comfortability. As a commodities trader, I prefer Dell's UltraSharp monitors. My charts are crystal clear and so will your gaming be without eye strain. Very easy on the eyes. They're perfect for my trading. The 24-inch'ers are very inexpensive now. The 27-inch is preferred, or if you can get your hands on the ultimate 30-inch,

I agree, my "big rig" that I use for gaming and self education/working at home uses a 20" Dell rotated portrait (1600x1200) and a 30" Dell (2560x1600) alongside each other; the 20" is exactly the same height and vertical resolution as the 30" so they match up perfectly.

I run the "main app" on the 30 and the Win7 toolbars and any secondary reference materials, email, etc. on the 20.

Works like a champ!

• Like 1
Fish Sandwich

One recommendation: if you're going to be using Windows Media Center for watching media, it works better (although I can't remember exactly what the issues were) if your resolutions match between your monitor and your TV. So, in addition to needing to upgrade my monitor to hdcp (posted previously), I went with a monitor that was 1080p so I could match resolutions. Since I brought that monitor with me to PI, I used the same logic when purchasing a TV here, even though I would have rather bought the 32" 720p.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

One recommendation: if you're going to be using Windows Media Center for watching media, it works better (although I can't remember exactly what the issues were) if your resolutions match between your monitor and your TV. So, in addition to needing to upgrade my monitor to hdcp (posted previously), I went with a monitor that was 1080p so I could match resolutions. Since I brought that monitor with me to PI, I used the same logic when purchasing a TV here, even though I would have rather bought the 32" 720p.

oh yeah they'll be matching

i'm not going to run the tv and monitor as dual separate monitors, they'll be across the room from each other, i'll have one hdmi cable coming out of the computer and split it

• Like 1
infoseeker

i can add:

on regards to crisp output on movies- microsoft products are not that good

gom, powerdvd and neuview are way far more better :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
AlooGobi

For those in the know, how much Ram would you consider "overkill"?

there are posters here using very high ram 1 i think using 24g if i read correctly.i had heard that 4g will run the most demanding games etc,

i dont game so i have no clue about this ,just curious

Most video display software uses the same modules (DirectShow filters) so most of the perceived differences in output probably come from the choices in settings or in stringing together the filters, or confirmation bias.

All the video looks great to me, the difference seems to be the source.

there are posters here using very high ram 1 i think using 24g if i read correctly.i had heard that 4g will run the most demanding games etc,

The notebook I'm using right now has 16gb installed and my home system (in storage back in the States) has 24 .... however ...

My use cases are unusual.

For instance right now I'm writing this and browsing LinC in Ubuntu 11.10, running on a 1.5gb VMWare virtual machine alongside

• a Win7x64 VMWare virtual machine that's just doing very little
  • a Win7x64 VMWare virtual machine that's running the Android software development stack
  • A Windows XPsp3 VMWare virtual machine running MS Visual Studio 2008 for C/C++ work in Win32

All that running on a Win7x64 notebook with 16gb.

Oh, I'm also playing Rift and running ACT on the host machine. Sometimes Photoshop CS5 too.

If you're not using something that's a memory hog, 8 should be a great plenty but memory is pretty cheap.

• Admin (Retired)
broden
memory is pretty cheap.

yeah i initially was thinking of going with 12 but i'll probably go with 16 with out much price difference

4 gb will run MOST of the demanding games, even on Windows 7 (64-bit). But, just because they will RUN, doesn't mean they will be smooth in MAXIMUM settings (obviously, your video card will also be a factor). Also, you need to consider what else you will running. For example, as a developer, I could be running several instances of Visual Studio, Virtual Machines, etc. Most users can get away with 8 gb just fine.

yeah i initially was thinking of going with 12 but i'll probably go with 16 with out much price difference

Is it a 2 or 3 channels chipset? The 3rd channel doesn't get you THAT much but if it's there might as well use it, otherwise ... 8 or 16.

I went 24 at home because it was either 12 or ... 24, and i knew that 12 wasn't quite enough to run all those VMs from using a 12gb system in the office. At home my working size turned out to be around 14 or 15 GB, so I was confirmed as to (1) why my system in the office felt small and (2) I knew I could get by just fine with a 16gb notebook.

Most people will have very little use for anywhere near that amount of memory.

But it is cheap.

EDIT:

Each VM gets allocated between 1-2 GB so that's what I really "use" on a per machine basis. I just have the equiv. of 5 machines running on one notebook hardware.

Edited by locktite