Getting Ready To Build The New PC

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Broden, 27 inch Viewsonic are being sold on eBay (Australia) for $320. Why settle for 24".

I have a 22" but when I return from Saigon/Phnom Penh trip I'm buying a 27" and the 22" will become my second monitor.

KonGC

24 is bigger than i have no and the reason i don't mind settling for a 24 is i'll be using a 60 inch a good portion of the time anyway :yahoo:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Cipro

• senseless

• musicman666

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in October my video card gave up and I almost got another computer but decided to wait. Here is what I was thinking of buying a few months ago from PC Express near SM:   processor:

oh and the overkill is for two reasons yeah i game and i like to have all the settings maxed out.. and i now want to do that on my 60 inch tv   my brother gave me Skyrim for Christmas .. i've played

Yeah gfx cards are so cheap now..... I used to buy cards for my work that were more than the rest of the machine but now I just get the latest mid high end gaming card..... And yes the ssd card say 5

• Admin (Retired)
broden
Video cards are expensive, are you sure you need two? Unless you are a gamer of the highest order on the internet I question the need. The net is just not fast enough here to justify it - well that's what I found. 1 top level card will give you multiscreen etc. That would do away with the water cooling, also expensive.

for me the two cards will be worth it i may look at a larger power supply.. but we'll see they are really cutting down on the power these cards use compared to previous models

and well you know how it is always gotta plan for the next great game that isn't out yet

• Admin (Retired)
broden

so for a functional os drive for windows 7 pro how much drive would i really need? with some space to spare of course

and what would be the bare minimum too?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'll wind up putting 2500 to 3 grand in to this thing .. that's usually in the neighborhood for me

Fish Sandwich

so for a functional os drive for windows 7 pro how much drive would i really need? with some space to spare of course

I would go at least 40GB for Windows 7, which will work nice for an expensive SSD drive. I'm using a 60GB SSD that works well. You can dump everything else, on a different drive that gives you more GB per $. I'm sure there's a million different opinions for this.

But, spend a few minutes reading up on an hdcp build. I tried to slap a blu-ray player in my computer last year and ended up having to upgrade the graphics card, the monitor and I forget if there was anything else so that everything was hdcp compatible. It turned a $100 project into several hundred dollars project. I imagine all the newer stuff is hdcp compatible, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

• Like 1

64 will work, if you go that route PM me and I can help you get the program files and other folders off the SSD transparenty. At present prices maybe 128 or bigger would be great, I haven't been shopping for a while.

Fish Sandwich

P.S. The bare minimum would be 16GB, but I don't recommend that. I tried 20GB one time and the winsxs directory and a few others were always creeping and giving me space issues.

TheMatrix

You can run 24Gb on a triple channel DDR3 motherboard without breaking the bank. I'm seeing 12Gb 3-stick kits now running at around $100.

senseless

I have a 32GB OCZ drive in my laptop running Windows 7 Pro barely large enough to store the OS. I had to remove some larger programs and adjust the swap file size for it to fit. For a desktop I would recommend 64gb at least. One thing I do different which may allow you to use 32gb drives; I keep the install files for windows on my drives instead of burning or dealing with CDs/DVDs. All my systems have a dual boot option to boot windows 7 pro or to boot windows 7 pro setup. The windows directory on my current desktop is consuming 22gb.

Edited by senseless
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i never like doing barely enough but i was curious. i may or may not go with an ssd drive for the os .. just depends on where i want to put the money

senseless

i never like doing barely enough but i was curious. i may or may not go with an ssd drive for the os .. just depends on where i want to put the money

What kind of games do you play?

I have an SSD in my desktop that only stores an MMO I play. When I zone, or need to load textures, etc it's extremely fast. It eliminated some of the lag, chunking, and other graphical lag issues I was having. IMO, I just don't really see the need for it for an OS drive. I just put one in the laptop for the power savings. It extended the life of the battery in my netbook (ASUS EEE PC with radeon hd and AMD dual core neo) from 6 hours to 7 hours.

Edited by senseless
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

skyrim call of duty any left 4 dead that may come out i like first person shooters but i also like a lot of strategy games and rpgs

really across the board but i play some fps or another for at least a little bit up to a whole lotta bit almost every day

i'm not all that concerned with load times to be honest but faster is always better. i'm really directing all my resources to be able to set graphic options as high as possible so it looks nice on the big tv

but keep in mind i am happy to get any input...

Edited by broden
senseless

skyrim call of duty any left 4 dead that may come out i like first person shooters but i also like a lot of strategy games and rpgs

really across the board but i play some fps or another for at least a little bit up to a whole lotta bit almost every day

i'm not all that concerned with load times to be honest but faster is always better. i'm really directing all my resources to be able to set graphic options as high as possible so it looks nice on the big tv

I'm not sure about skyrim, but the rest of them will all pre-load textures on a map load. So there shouldn't really be any lag for texture loads, etc. I'd say skip it and spend the money on a graphics card. I would also recommend getting nvidia. I've got a 460 and loving it. AMD usually gets better integer benchmarks but with floating point graphical stuff nvidia is always on top.

Which COD are you playing? I've got 2 COD MW3 servers online hosted @ vitro in manila. But no one ever playing. Seems only our TF2, L4D2 and KF servers have people on them. Do you play on XJZ servers at all?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on a 60GB SSD and I have about 45 GB left over after a fresh install when I turn off indexing and and system restore. I also have one 750GB drive that I use to install games and other programs on and another 750GB drive that I use for storage.

I have an Intel 2600K processor running on an Asrock P67 Extreme4 motherboard with 16GB of DDR3 ram. It has the instant boot function which is supposed to be10 times faster than traditional mode. I have never timed it but with an SSD drive it is very fast booting up.

Not to be negative, but I would never buy another ATI video card. I had a Radeon 5900 in my system for about a year and had nothing but problems with it. Their drivers suck. Crossfire never worked properly so in most cases I ran in single card in most games. Fifa 2012 -> broken, Dungeon Siege III -> broken, Homefront -> acts weird, Skyrim -> Flickering in menus, F1 2011 -> broken. The thing is you can't make these games run okay unless you manually disable Crossfire. I always thought based on reviews that they got their shit together but reality is they are still pile of crap. Good hardware but software makes not worth a low end GTX240. It blows! Maybe sounds like rant but I get mad that people get misled by them. At first I thought it was my system so I would reinstall my OS, but I kept having problems. Finally I bought a Geforce GTX 590 and I have never had another problem. Nothing. Say what you may about Nvidia, but their drivers work and if they are broken then they are fixed immediately.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I'm not sure about skyrim, but the rest of them will all pre-load textures on a map load. So there shouldn't really be any lag for texture loads, etc. I'd say skip it and spend the money on a graphics card. I would also recommend getting nvidia. I've got a 460 and loving it. AMD usually gets better integer benchmarks but with floating point graphical stuff nvidia is always on top.

Which COD are you playing? I've got 2 COD MW3 servers online hosted @ vitro in manila. But no one ever playing. Seems only our TF2, L4D2 and KF servers have people on them. Do you play on XJZ servers at all?

haven't played the new COD yet, got it for Christmas but it's a combo of too busy and the first time i play a game i like to have time to really get in to it and i may save playing it for the new system... doubt it but i might.. Skyrim i am definitely waiting for the new system to play i want that on the big screen

i've used nvidia and currently i do.. but i think i really am going to go with the 7970 when it hits. don't want to wait forever and that's the next big thing but that may change, had amd's before too .. i'm not particularly loyal to either company