Getting Ready To Build The New PC

• Admin (Retired)
broden

well slowly getting ready anyway. still have another couple of months probably..

first thing i have to do is wait for the new AMD Radeon 7970 GPU's to come out i'm thinking i want to put two of those in there and 12 or 16 gigs of ram

looking at using an Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20 12mb intel smart cache lga2011 cpu

still deciding on the motherboard and a case but i think this will be the first time i forgo using a soundcard and use the onboard sounds as they've gotten so good. and i can use that money elsewhere in the computer.

looking at a nice 24 inch led monitor from asus who's stuff i like.

gonna slap a blu ray player in there too as it'll be hooked up to the tv it's cheaper than buying a stand alone one

2 hard drive probably 500G for the operating system and utilities and a 1T one for everything else

probably gonna go with win 7 pro a crap load of fans

and liquid cooling which will be new to me (fingers crossed)

and a 1000 watt power supply

anyone else getting or building a new pc?

like i said i still have a wait but planning and building are half the fun .. just like legos

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Cipro

• senseless

• Fish Sandwich

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in October my video card gave up and I almost got another computer but decided to wait. Here is what I was thinking of buying a few months ago from PC Express near SM:   processor:

oh and the overkill is for two reasons yeah i game and i like to have all the settings maxed out.. and i now want to do that on my 60 inch tv   my brother gave me Skyrim for Christmas .. i've played

Yeah gfx cards are so cheap now..... I used to buy cards for my work that were more than the rest of the machine but now I just get the latest mid high end gaming card..... And yes the ssd card say 5

Back in October my video card gave up and I almost got another computer but decided to wait. Here is what I was thinking of buying a few months ago from PC Express near SM:

processor:

Phenom II X4 965 (3.4G) 8mb black ed.

motherboard:

Gigabyte MA770T-UD3 AMD770/VSL

case:

Antec Three Hundred (add more fans?)

18” x 8.1” x 18.1” (H x W x D)

power supply:

CMaster M600w Silent Pro modular 80+

video card:

Gigabyte HD6670 OC 1gb ddr5 128bit

memory:

4gb Genesis (1800C9D3K2/4G)

4gb Genesis (1800C9D3K2/4G)

2 x 4GB DDR3 DIMM 1666(OC)/1333/1066 MHz

hard drive:

500gb WDigital Blue (Black-2700)

optical drive:

Samsung 22x SH-S222/223 Sata

• Like 1
musicman666

Well you should get one of those solid state cdrives for your system drive.... Boot times are amazing...... You seem to be a game player.. I hope so because anything else for your spec is overkill....

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Well you should get one of those solid state cdrives for your system drive.... Boot times are amazing...... You seem to be a game player.. I hope so because anything else for your spec is overkill....

indeed i am.. and i've looked the ssd's and i may perhaps just for the os drive but i'd sure like em better if they were closer in price per gig to the regular hd's

what's amazing to me now is the graphics cards, look at the specs of any current GPU .. just a few short years back those specs were for good computers

Edited by broden
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

oh and the overkill is for two reasons yeah i game and i like to have all the settings maxed out.. and i now want to do that on my 60 inch tv

my brother gave me Skyrim for Christmas .. i've played every single eldar scroll game since the beginning .. i'm saving it till i get the new computer. my wife got me the new Call of Duty may or may not save that one too

• Like 1
musicman666

Yeah gfx cards are so cheap now..... I used to buy cards for my work that were more than the rest of the machine but now I just get the latest mid high end gaming card..... And yes the ssd card say 50gig for the operating and try an push your progs onto the next drive ...and don't hibernate otherwise the ssd will be knee deep in data with no space....

• Like 1
Justin Kredible
my brother gave me Skyrim for Christmas .. i've played every single eldar scroll game since the beginning .. i'm saving it till i get the new computer. my wife got me the new Call of Duty may or may not save that one too

Too funny. I just got a new system to run Skyrim on Ultra settings. It's an I7 920 with 8 GB RAM and a 5870 GPU. There is a site (skyrimnexxus, I think) that has mods for it already. I installed the high-res pack (1+ GB) that someone made, and it's pretty amazing. Sometimes I just find myself clambering up a hill to take in the view.

And kill a dragon (or two).

When I first started playing, I didn't realize that I had somehow set it on the hardest difficulty setting, and I kept getting killed by skeevers. I was like, "This game blows! I keep getting pawned by big mice! What the bloody hell!!!"

Oh, and if you kill the roosters (chickens, actually), the locals get quite incensed.

Forgot to add: If you are going to play Skyrim, you HAVE to get the Xbox 360 receiver, the Xbox remote, and plug that bad boy into your TV!!!

Trust me.

Just. Trust. Me.

Edited by Ravenkill
  • Like 1
senseless

If you're buying new computer stuff I would recommend buying from singapore.

I would recommend Taknet. They're in sim lim square. Website is www.taknet.com.sg but very limited email pricing/availability questions to [email protected] I was able to pay them via paypal and they delivered to my house here in PH.

I purchased a 1U Supermicro socket 1155 server w/ cpu (E3-1230), mem, etc (for XJZ game servers, it's now sitting in vitro running our TF2 servers, etc.) from them as well as my home computer (mb/proc/mem). They shipped everything in from SG via DHL and had no problems.

Philippines is a signatory to ASEAN IT-Trade agreement which allows terriff-free import of IT related products. I thought I would have an issue at customs but had no issue with them trying to overcharge me. Was only charged VAT as expected.

The reason I ordered from SG is I found I could not get the products I wanted here, or they were so ridiculously overpriced. With shipping and taxes included it was cheaper to get it there than here. I'm a fanboy of gigabyte motherboards and wanted the highest frequency 3.6ghz Core i3 which I was not able to find here.

Edited by senseless
senseless

Hong kong is cheaper than Singapore ....

Most likely. If you know anyone there with a shop accepting credit card or paypal and willing to ship stuff here please let us know. I believe Gigabyte is based in HK, could have saved a fortune on my motherboards.

Edited by senseless
musicman666

Personally I don't mind paying Cebu prices even if I do got to hk a lot simply because when stuff goes wrong it suddenly becomes a huge pia if the vendor is in another country....I just can't wait.

Julian C Thong

Just a few comments. I did this last year but found it was hard sourcing the latest cpu, video cards and motherboard. Perhaps you're thing of geting from the US.

I used 2 1 terra drives, they are so cheap why not. If you are going for a seperate one for the OS, get the latest SSD as they are faster, plus 2 1 terra.

Video cards are expensive, are you sure you need two? Unless you are a gamer of the highest order on the internet I question the need. The net is just not fast enough here to justify it - well that's what I found. 1 top level card will give you multiscreen etc. That would do away with the water cooling, also expensive.

I'd go for a 1250 watt supply. The video card, memory will all have their own fans plus 4 or 5 for the case.

Just a thought.

PS Asus motherboards are the best, imo

Edited by Julian C Thong
  • Like 1
TheMatrix

I built a high performance computer for my 10-monitor trading setup about a year ago and sourced most of the parts from Interpace. I found them to have the best prices overall. 2nd choice was PCXpress.

Here's the link:

http://gaisano-interpace.com/

There's two convenient locations: Country Mall & Across the street from SM mall

• Like 1

oh and the overkill is for two reasons yeah i game and i like to have all the settings maxed out.. and i now want to do that on my 60 inch tv

SSDs are really nice, my "main system" which is in storage in California now has it - the PC boots before the G15 firmware is ready to accept input.

For games, the CPU is almost never the bottleneck, so maybe moving some budget for CPU to SSD would be an option.

KennyF
looking at a nice 24 inch led monitor from asus who's stuff i like.

Broden, 27 inch Viewsonic are being sold on eBay (Australia) for $320. Why settle for 24".

I have a 22" but when I return from Saigon/Phnom Penh trip I'm buying a 27" and the 22" will become my second monitor.

KonGC

• Like 1