Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Unconventional pump boat part III

Bill H

When I first hired Alin, he reported for duty with his tool bag, which contained a hand saw, a hammer, a wood chisel, a hand made plane, a screwdriver and a measuring tape. I was skeptical about having him build the piece of furniture I needed, but he came highly recommended so I hired him. I was shocked by how well he did, given the limited number of tools at his disposal. So, when I set out to start building serious boats, he was at the top of my list. His exposure to power tools was extraordinarily limited though, so he was pretty skeptical when I bought a electric sander. Then a saber saw, a circular saw, and cordless drill. I constantly had to remind him to put down the hand saw and use the power saw, so it was not a smooth transition. Fortunately, the power planner went a long way towards getting him to see the beauty of power equipment. It became a done deal when I bought the belt sander and showed him all the neat things you can do with it. Of course, now I discover our little one horse town carries no sanding belts, so I'll need to remember to bring the belt on my next trip to Cebu to stock up.

We now have almost all the ribs epoxied and fastened to the keelsons. I've decided to add four more ribs two fore and two aft to better support the hull skin at those points and we're about to set the sheer and the floors. So, all in all, today was a productive day.

Regards,

Bill

post-8579-0-94813900-1325489513_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Stranded Shipscook

ahem, would it be too complicated to post all in ONE thread only ?

billten

Great job Bill, try Belmnont tool for the sanding belts, they have quite a few sizes in stock

Bill H

Well G, the reason I split it up was because I was afraid the size limitations would not allow me to post very many pics.

Now you know.

Bill